Dog and Water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dog and Water

Need some dog training advice. I have a good Pup that is just now 3 years old. He is mostly trained, will come when I call/whistle, sit when I tell him. Fetch and drop.

That being said he goes insane around water. He will jump in, and literally won't come out at Parent's pool. We are getting a pool installed and I am trying to figure out a way to get him to calm down around the water. He chases his splash and if you are using the hose, will chase the water coming out of it.

90 lb. American Bulldog pictured in the avatar.

Anybody have a good fix?
    Last edited by jer_james; 12-05-2019, 07:26 AM.

hump him til he pees all i got

Comment

We have a Boykin and I can’t keep him out of the water. He doesn’t do it to me but if my wife tells him to come inside and he doesn’t want to, he jumps in the pool. He knows she doesn’t want a wet dog in the house. To answer your original question I would imagine his nerves will settle the more he is around the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Just make sure the pool has stairs so he can easily get out.

We had a squirrel hound that was the same. Would literally jump in our pool and swim laps a few times a day. Nothing wrong with having a clean dog though. Better than them rolling in mud.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruiser View Post
          Are you sure the dog is supposed to be the one that pees? I have trouble tracking the TBH dog training gurus advice. Just want to make sure I don't ruin a dog.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruiser View Post
            This line is really old and is as wore out as Hillary's excuses for losing the election.

OP - your dog is all puppy and that's his favorite. Let him play but also teach him that when you say he's done, he's done. Call him to you and change his focus.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
              This line is really old and is as wore out as Hillary's excuses for losing the election.

OP - your dog is all puppy and that's his favorite. Let him play but also teach him that when you say he's done, he's done. Call him to you and change his focus.
              That's what bothers me, I can't get him to change his focus when it involves the water.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post

It may be old, but it still makes me laugh. Maybe I just have a messed up sense of humor

Comment

Originally posted by switchbackxt View Post
                  It may be old, but it still makes me laugh. Maybe I just have a messed up sense of humor
                  I actually laughed out loud again. Perfect timing. lol

Comment

Me too

Comment

Originally posted by switchbackxt View Post
                      Originally posted by kurt68 View Post
                      I actually laughed out loud again. Perfect timing. lol
                      I get a little smirk when properly used

Overuse is definitely a thing - Not mad at it here!

Comment

I bet he settles down once you get the pool in & isn't such a treat being available daily...i've noticed the puppy doesn't really settle till they hit 4yrs.

Like stated, let him have fun but lay the law down if you don't want him getting wet regardless of where you are. Picking the battles is half of it.

Comment

Originally posted by jer_james View Post
                          That's what bothers me, I can't get him to change his focus when it involves the water.
                          Shock collar might change his mind. Just don't hit it the same moment he hits the water unless you want to train him to think that the water shocks him.

Funny Side Story: We put a bark collar on my parents pup one time while they were visiting because he wouldn't shut the heck up. Someone knocked on the door and he jumped up to put his front paws on the door and let out a bark at them. He barked the same moment his paws touched the door. He wouldn't go near that door for a little while lol.
                          Last edited by Gclyde28; 12-05-2019, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Cant break me from getting excited seeing boobies. Dont think you can break him from getting excited over water.

That has been my experience anyhow. The dogs i have had that absolutely love it, love it for life. It is like being 6 years old and finally getting to the play park.

Comment

Originally posted by Gclyde28 View Post
                              Shock collar might change his mind. Just don't hit it the same moment he hits the water unless you want to train him to think that the water shocks him.

Funny Side Story: We put a bark collar on my parents pup one time while they were visiting because he wouldn't shut the heck up. Someone knocked on the door and he jumped up to put his front paws on the door and let out a bark at them. He barked the same moment his paws touched the door. He wouldn't go near that door for a little while lol.
                              Preparing your canine to quit yelping on the direction and recognizing the foundation of the woofing ought to consistently be your first endeavor, as indicated by the ASPCA. Yet, should every other alternative come up short, there are uncommon collars that could assist you with controlling your pooch's over the top yelping.

Comment

Working...
                              X