Electric trucks are coming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electric trucks are coming

Elon Musk is itching to move into the massive light truck market, and will bring out his prototype later this year. Some other companies, including Ford, are also going down this road, but it seems like Tesla is leading the way so far.

Its capabilities are impressive. Two 300hp electric motors (bigger ones are available). 400-600 mile range. 0-60 in under 4 seconds. Towing capacity at least 40,000 lbs., but can go up to as much as 300,000 lbs. No, that's not a typo. 300,000. On-board 120/240v electric plugs, and a compressor for air tools (nice for flat tires!). 4-wheel steering. Locking differentials. ...and other features yet undisclosed.

Looks like the days of our beloved dirty, noisy, smoky, complicated, fuel-guzzling, internal combustion trucks are slowly, but surely, coming to an end.

Im 55, will this be in my lifetime?

Comment

And how much will it cost? $200K?
      That’s the big question. I’m a believer in Tesla and think they are making a move in the right direction but I don’t see how they can make a truck with that towing capacity (even 40,000 seems like a lot for an electric engine). I’m curious what towing a load will go to the mile range and lifespan of the battery.

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
        Absolutely. In the next couple of years.

And how much will it cost? $200K?
        That’s the big question. I’m a believer in Tesla and think they are making a move in the right direction but I don’t see how they can make a truck with that towing capacity (even 40,000 seems like a lot for an electric engine). I’m curious what towing a load will go to the mile range and lifespan of the battery.
        The price will have to be competitive, if they want to get into the market. And there will be a LOT of competition, as well. The major manufacturers are also working on it. Ford is already driving a prototype electric F150 around its test track. The Dodge RAM hybrid, called the eTorque, is already in the showrooms. Chevy (bleah) is lagging behind a couple of years, after their Volt flop.

I think the towing capacity has to do with torque and more efficient energy transfer. IIRC, 70% of a gas engine's energy is wasted through the drive train, whereas with an electric motor it's almost 100%. It's a simple, single speed direct drive - no gears, no clutch or torque converter, no "shifting," etc. Rear axle ratio is a whopping 15:1.

Myself, I think a pivotal factor is going to be the range issue. 500 miles seems like a lot, but a trip to the hunting lease can eat that up in a hurry, and some recent reports talked about how electric vehicle range can drop as much as 40% in very cold weather.
        Last edited by Ruark; 02-17-2019, 09:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruark View Post
          Absolutely. In the next couple of years.
          I have my doubts those things laid out in your OP will be accomplished in the next couple of years. If so, that would simply incredible. That kind of power AND range from an electric vehicle is something I cant quite fathom.

Comment

This will be excellent for city fleet owners, where inter structural charging stations will be
            Us outside the city well it will take awhile
            Any idea what kinda juice it would draw to charge up 6 or 8 trucks at hunting camp?
            Just running our camp we are maxed out on our transformer

Comment

After years of Elon Musk talking about Tesla bringing an all-electric pickup truck to market, we have learned more about the...

Comment

They already have electric road tractors I wouldn’t think a pick up truck would be too far of a stretch cost will be interesting to see but with 80K plus diesel pickup’s selling as fast as they an make them

Comment

All boils down to cost and will the battery last...? Electric motors are crazy strong...that's why they're in trains. But there's also a huge generator supplying power. If these things cost a fortune, and spend a 1/3 of the day on the charger, well, it'll just be another feel good...and Elon spending other people's $.

Comment

How much Electricity does it eat up trying to charge the batteries and how do we get that power? In my mind, those the electric car has no place unless it sustains itself. I know that is a HUGE order to fill, but why trade my petro bill for massive electric bills where power is still made by petro products?
                    IF the electric trucks really do produce the towing and hauling capabilities they say, and IF it can withstand that kind of stress over 500+ miles, hey I'm all for its success, but for now, I'll stay respectfully skeptic.

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
                      Don't smoke, eat healthy and get plenty of exercise.

Sent from my LG-K550 using Tapatalk

Comment

Electric motors are already available that would be on par with any truck with a diesel or gas engine. It's the batteries that have been the issue. Battery Technology is improving and will be sufficient at some point where you will be able to drive an electric vehicle anywhere. It's coming, how soon? Who knows....

Look up diesel-electric locomotives... Essentially they are diesel powered generators/turbines to power the electric motors that actually power the locomotive...

Comment

I've been following this too. Never did I dream of wanting an electric truck, but its starting to really look attractive. There are actually two other companies that are ahead of tesla though as far as getting to market first. Look up rivian and Bollinger. They both have released operational prototypes. There is another company in its infant stages though and if they can meet the standard of what they are claiming, it will be awesome. A 3/4 ton truck, 500 mile range, fast recharge times, 10000 lb.ft. of torque. $700/month.

Even at $1200+ per month it makes sense for me. I bet I spend $900/month on fuel. Take that out of the equation and I'm all about an electric truck as long as it has a 500 mile minimum range.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Electric motors are already available that would be on par with any truck with a diesel or gas engine. It's the batteries that have been the issue. Battery Technology is improving and will be sufficient at some point where you will be able to drive an electric vehicle anywhere.
                            I agree. At the end of the day, it all comes down to the power source: batteries.

Comment

Just don't plug into a Best Western outlet.

Comment

Working...
                              X