The 2020 TBH/APR Special Planning Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheWidowMaker View Post
    True and I do already follow it... touche. But I've built my own so it'd be cool to see others as well.

I'd like a bull pup bolt action with swappable barrels or a 300 win mag AR with thermal

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I’m not saying Robert can’t do it but never seen anything even remotely close to what you are asking for in their repertoire of rifles.

Have you looked at desert tech rifles?

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
      I’m not saying Robert can’t do it but never seen anything even remotely close to what you are asking for in their repertoire of rifles.

Have you looked at desert tech rifles?

Sierracharlie out…
      I know but every year they're expanding their line and are eager for a challenge. Just offering different ideas than the same ones over and over. Don't get me wrong I'm a fan of the lightweight hunting rifle as I'm always upgrading mine to the latest and greatest. Just be nice to have a suppressor on the end of a 26" barrel in a box blind and not have to do moves like in the matrix to get it out the window. Just figured I'd give my 2 cents with the rest of them. If a PRS style is done it'd be cool to meet up with a bunch of yall in navasota at some of those monthly matches

Comment

Originally posted by TheWidowMaker View Post
        I know but every year they're expanding their line and are eager for a challenge. Just offering different ideas than the same ones over and over. Don't get me wrong I'm a fan of the lightweight hunting rifle as I'm always upgrading mine to the latest and greatest. Just be nice to have a suppressor on the end of a 26" barrel in a box blind and not have to do moves like in the matrix to get it out the window. Just figured I'd give my 2 cents with the rest of them. If a PRS style is done it'd be cool to meet up with a bunch of yall in navasota at some of those monthly matches

Got ya buddy

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

I think we need to have an honest conversation about our weight... I mean the rifle weight. I went back through a significant number of APR rifles that had components similar to what we have been bantering about for the "Classic" vote.

7.6lbs (ish) for a rifle with standard (non-carbon fiber) components is a reality but there are choices to be made. Upcharge for edge fill and drop a few more ounces. Cut back from 26 to 24 to 22 inches on the barrel and save even more.

Getting below 7lbs bare rifle is possible for short action, with shorter (18-22") barrels and a CF stock.

If you want to go HEAVY the APR stock design won't prevent you from dropping in a REM Varmint or other heavy profile barrel-- but remember to get the best price/timeline we need to standardize as MUCH as possible, which means limiting barrel inlet combinations.

A lot of the weight differences are generated depending on customer choices for brakes, rails, rings, bottom metal, etc. not to mention fluting. As far as the fluting goes I would trust the guys at APR to figure out the right depth/pattern that would work for the majority calibers (.30 and smaller diameter) to maximize weight savings... IF enough folks wanted it.

So here we go- at the risk of sounding like a squeaky wheel- I've refined my initial proposal into two distinct options.

1. TBH Classic- McMillan APR pattern stock (McWoody or McWalnut), standard fill, red or black butt pad, Defiance Action (per Robert's 1st post), BDL bottom metal, Trigger (TT Pri/Special), barrel- STEEL maybe offer like two contours-- APR (standard) which allows 5/8x24 threading on longer barrels than the Bart 3b or others and the other could be REM Varmint (for the heavies), option to DEEP or standard flute, standard threading 5/8x24 with choice of radial, gill or blended threat protector. Two choices for cerakote-- matte or gloss blue replica or solid black (plus option to case harden the action (cost dependent-- maybe this becomes an extra)

2. TBH Classic LITE (the more $$ option)- McMillan APR pattern stock EDGE FILL or maybe a light fill(I don't know if they can do edge with molded colors like McWoody???), red or black butt pad (may an option for a flip flop pad instead of full size?), Defiance Action (per Robert's 1st post), BDL bottom metal, Trigger (TT Pri/Special), barrel- Proof Sendero Lite or Bartlein #2 (or similar)with choice of radial, gill or blended threat protector. Two choices for cerakote-- matte or gloss blue replica plus case hardened option. For this option the #2 might only be able to work with certain calibers/lengths and with 1/2x28 threads?

Maybe there is a legit option to paint the CF stocks to look closer to wood or even a dip?? I'll have to defer to the experts.

I'm a night shift guy and the possibilities are keeping me up!!!

Comment

Originally posted by duckhunter175 View Post
            I think we need to have an honest conversation about our weight... I mean the rifle weight. I went back through a significant number of APR rifles that had components similar to what we have been bantering about for the "Classic" vote.

7.6lbs (ish) for a rifle with standard (non-carbon fiber) components is a reality but there are choices to be made. Upcharge for edge fill and drop a few more ounces. Cut back from 26 to 24 to 22 inches on the barrel and save even more.

Getting below 7lbs bare rifle is possible for short action, with shorter (18-22") barrels and a CF stock.

If you want to go HEAVY the APR stock design won't prevent you from dropping in a REM Varmint or other heavy profile barrel-- but remember to get the best price/timeline we need to standardize as MUCH as possible, which means limiting barrel inlet combinations.

A lot of the weight differences are generated depending on customer choices for brakes, rails, rings, bottom metal, etc. not to mention fluting. As far as the fluting goes I would trust the guys at APR to figure out the right depth/pattern that would work for the majority calibers (.30 and smaller diameter) to maximize weight savings... IF enough folks wanted it.

So here we go- at the risk of sounding like a squeaky wheel- I've refined my initial proposal into two distinct options.

1. TBH Classic- McMillan APR pattern stock (McWoody or McWalnut), standard fill, red or black butt pad, Defiance Action (per Robert's 1st post), BDL bottom metal, Trigger (TT Pri/Special), barrel- STEEL maybe offer like two contours-- APR (standard) which allows 5/8x24 threading on longer barrels than the Bart 3b or others and the other could be REM Varmint (for the heavies), option to DEEP or standard flute, standard threading 5/8x24 with choice of radial, gill or blended threat protector. Two choices for cerakote-- matte or gloss blue replica or solid black (plus option to case harden the action (cost dependent-- maybe this becomes an extra)

2. TBH Classic LITE (the more $$ option)- McMillan APR pattern stock EDGE FILL or maybe a light fill(I don't know if they can do edge with molded colors like McWoody???), red or black butt pad (may an option for a flip flop pad instead of full size?), Defiance Action (per Robert's 1st post), BDL bottom metal, Trigger (TT Pri/Special), barrel- Proof Sendero Lite or Bartlein #2 (or similar)with choice of radial, gill or blended threat protector. Two choices for cerakote-- matte or gloss blue replica plus case hardened option. For this option the #2 might only be able to work with certain calibers/lengths and with 1/2x28 threads?

Maybe there is a legit option to paint the CF stocks to look closer to wood or even a dip?? I'll have to defer to the experts.

I like where you are going. I am not familiar with all the components you have mentioned but the only change I would make is going with an AG stock for the above 2 options if they end up with 2 options. The Ag stocks handle great, come in plenty of varieties to satisfy the light and heavy crowds, and, as Robert said somewhere above, they provide the best value and timeline for a group buy.

As for the classic, the more I think about it I am not a huge fan of a composite stock made to look like wood but maybe that's just me.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. I was kind of hoping we'd have a general direction or pattern emerging in the requests to start heading in a more specific direction. But we have a bunch of very different requests this time - which is good as it puts more options on the table.

We'll try our best to offer something that strikes a balance between features and budgets. The ultra-light stuff is probably out do to budgets. That still leaves us with a lightweight sub 7 lb option though. With that in mind, the trade-off would be losing the adjustable comb option that seems to be a popular request in order to keep weights down. A higher comb stock will make a good substitute. Several light weight options there. I've got some ideas if we go this way.

Of course everything else is still on the table. I'll try to round up some pics of several different style builds tomorrow and put them on this thread. Maybe we can do a poll or something based on that to get a direction sorted out.

Comment

Perhaps you could take the most popular and in budget ideas and create a thread with options and price and have admin create pole to see what comes out on top.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Comment

Dang that was a lot of "ands", grammar police will be along shortly...

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
                    Perhaps you could take the most popular and in budget ideas and create a thread with options and price and have admin create pole to see what comes out on top.

Grammar police arrives***

"Do you not know what a period is?!?!?!"

Dang, that was a lot of "ands". Grammar police will be along shortly...

"FIFY"

Grammar police leaves****

I have no idea if those corrections are correct or not

Comment

If the majority want short action builds, it does put an ultra-light hunter back on the menu.

Comment

The 2020 TBH/APR Special Planning Thread

I was hoping we would go with a “true long range heavy rig on a big scale”.

Follow your heart [emoji16]

Comment

Originally posted by cattlelackranch View Post
                          I was hoping we would go with a “true long range heavy rig on a big scale”.

Follow your heart [emoji16]
                          Fingers crossed!

Comment

With no adjustable comb option I might be sitting this one out. . . Waiting on final verdict.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Dang that was a lot of "ands", grammar police will be along shortly...

So many “ands”. Lol
                              Try incorporating some commas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by duckhunter175 View Post

What he said. This is a great idea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X