• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ouch

Comment

Glad it wasn’t worse

Comment

I did very close to the same thing, many years ago, when gutting a javelina. I did manage to cut the artery my left leg, but did not cut all the way through it, but cut it enough that it bled like crazy. I lost a lot of blood, blacked out, then got to truly to experience what going shock is really like. It's very scary. It was about 103 that day, They put me in my black pickup, that had been sitting outside for a while. I was so cold I could not stop shaking, it felt like I was in the artic, when the A/C in the truck was first turned on, it seemed like being in extreme cold with very strong winds, blowing making it feel colder.
        The only reason I survived, was a good friend of the family, knew first aid very well. He got three heavy blankets and wrapped me in the blankets. Even with those blankets, I was still very cold. Because of him wrapping me in those blankets, I made it to the hospital. I squeezed the cut closed most of the time, after I blacked out, my left hand locked squeezing the wound closed. I still bled enough in the truck to fill the passenger's side floor board up to the top of the door seal. Once we got to the hospital and the door of the truck was opened, blood poured out on the ground, made a large puddle on the ground.
        By the time the doctor finally found the cut in the artery and stitched it up, then stitched up the wound for the third time, the wound finally stopped bleeding. By the time the doctor was done, the whole emergency room floor was covered in bloody shoe prints. I lost a lot of blood, the next two days, every inch of my body ached. Felt like someone had beat me from head to toe.
        Knowing first aid and as much as you can about medical situations, when in the field can save someone's life. It definitely saved my life. Had it only been my step father and me, I never would have made it to the hospital alive.
        A year after David saved my life, he was in a car accident coming back from a dove hunt, rolled his truck, he wound up stuck in his truck and bled to death during the night.

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
          I did very close to the same thing, many years ago, when gutting a javelina. I did manage to cut the artery my left leg, but did not cut all the way through it, but cut it enough that it bled like crazy. I lost a lot of blood, blacked out, then got to truly to experience what going shock is really like. It's very scary. It was about 103 that day, They put me in my black pickup, that had been sitting outside for a while. I was so cold I could not stop shaking, it felt like I was in the artic, when the A/C in the truck was first turned on, it seemed like being in extreme cold with very strong winds, blowing making it feel colder.
          The only reason I survived, was a good friend of the family, knew first aid very well. He got three heavy blankets and wrapped me in the blankets. Even with those blankets, I was still very cold. Because of him wrapping me in those blankets, I made it to the hospital. I squeezed the cut closed most of the time, after I blacked out, my left hand locked squeezing the wound closed. I still bled enough in the truck to fill the passenger's side floor board up to the top of the door seal. Once we got to the hospital and the door of the truck was opened, blood poured out on the ground, made a large puddle on the ground.
          By the time the doctor finally found the cut in the artery and stitched it up, then stitched up the wound for the third time, the wound finally stopped bleeding. By the time the doctor was done, the whole emergency room floor was covered in bloody shoe prints. I lost a lot of blood, the next two days, every inch of my body ached. Felt like someone had beat me from head to toe.
          Knowing first aid and as much as you can about medical situations, when in the field can save someone's life. It definitely saved my life. Had it only been my step father and me, I never would have made it to the hospital alive.
          A year after David saved my life, he was in a car accident coming back from a dove hunt, rolled his truck, he wound up stuck in his truck and bled to death during the night.
          I think I remember you telling this story in an earlier thread. Good gosh man....I just can’t imagine. You were very lucky.

This is all so scary. Be careful folks. It can sometimes only take one lapse of judgement or mistake.

Comment

This is why you don’t force a knife. Cutting towards you isn’t bad; just don’t mash so hard that you slip and stab yourself.

Glad everyone is ok!!

Comment

Great reminder.

People laugh at me and claim it's a pain, but...

I keep a Gerber field saw (has a wood and a bone blade) in my pack.

Saws through ribcage and pelvis w/o having to "force" anything.

Dirties another tool and takes 1 more minute, but worth it to me.

Comment

Thanks for sharing, be careful, be safe!

Comment

"$#it happens quick".

Comment

I gut my deer hanging by the head. I had my left hand holding the right front leg of a buck and cutting through the rib cage when the knife slipped and I stock it through my left arm. I have two nice scares one on each side of my arm to remind me to be careful.

Comment

Working...
                    X