No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone have a good pair of hiking boots to brag on? Put 60 miles on this week in the mountains and definitely tired of my old boots. Please let me know if you have a proven brand that has pleased you. Only Looking for waterproof and uninsulated. Thanks for any suggestions

Comment

Originally posted by Mex. Bowhunter View Post
      Anyone have a good pair of hiking boots to brag on? Put 60 miles on this week in the mountains and definitely tired of my old boots. Please let me know if you have a proven brand that has pleased you. Only Looking for waterproof and uninsulated. Thanks for any suggestions
      Both sets of Crispi I have are awesome, they're always my first choice not that I have them.
      I also like my Zamberland and Solomon GTX pretty darn good for different situations, Zamberland are lighter with stiffer sole and Solomon are more comfortable overall.
      Last edited by justletmein; 08-14-2022, 10:43 PM.

Comment

I run the Solomons ^^^, and Lowa Rangers, no complaints.
        The Lowas last about 100 miles longer than the S's.

Comment

I’m on my third resole on a pair of Hanwag Yukons. I rotate between those and a pair of Hanwag Ancash II for elk.

I’ve been either Hanwag or Gronell for past 25 years and no issues.

I’m not a huge waterproof boot fan so I normally go leather lined unless I’m hunting snow.

Comment

We're getting down into the 40's at night all week and a wet pattern for a few days, elk will be loving it!

Comment

Kenetrex for hiking/ hunting boots. I couldn’t be happier.

Must be getting close- archery pronghorn season opened today in Montana. I saw 5 great bucks- but they ignored my decoy near the ground-blind.

Here’s a trick- if you use a hydration bladder, put a couple slices of lemon in when you fill it. It was way more refreshing than plain water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks guys for all the suggestions. Will look into all of them.

A few pictures from our scouting trip last week to get the elk hunters pumped up. The elk in New mexico are in thier prime this yr. Good luck to all the lucky tag holders.

Comment

What boot are you unhappy with? I have two pair of Crispis and I’m very satisfied with both of them. And Thanks for the pics. That gets me fired up. What unit are you hunting?

Comment

I've walked out a pair of danners and a pair of Irish setters. Both had a couple hundred miles on them in the mountains but, never was happy with either of them. Have always had to fight feet issues on every hunt.

Comment

I've walked out a pair of danners and a pair of Irish setters. Both had a couple hundred miles on them in the mountains but, never was happy with either of them. Have always had to fight feet issues on every hunt.

Have you tried Solomon? I’m 2 hunts and many miles of hikes in on mine and have loved them since the start.

Man, y’all spotted some good bulls with mass for days!

Comment

Thanks guys for all the suggestions. Will look into all of them.

A few pictures from our scouting trip last week to get the elk hunters pumped up. The elk in New mexico are in thier prime this yr. Good luck to all the lucky tag holders.

Those are two great bulls! I hope to see something like that in September! I use Lowas and have been happy. They are just about worn out though. Don’t wear them often but they are very comfortable.

Comment

Just came back from the Gila scouting this weekend. My main goal was figuring out how to access a few places I wanted to go. Did better than I expected and 1st time with my ebike in the mountains....it's gonna be a nice tool I think.

After the Black Fire, it's rained a ton and I got flooded out at the end and barely made it out of there before flood water would have trapped me.

One more month... and I will be chasing bugles!
                          Attached Files

Comment

Looks dang green this year! Think sitting water may not be as effective as normal. Have to chase them down!

Comment

Been lots of summer rain throughout most of Southern NM, most water holes should be holding up well.

Love seeing the scouting pics, I'll be out there in September scouting for mulies. Like stated above I'll be looking for access points and glassing last year's burn from nearby high points.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Comment

If you wear size 12 I have a pair of LOWAs that are insulated. Insulation is way to much heat for my hiking comfort so they never got much use. I can dig them out of the garage. They are over 3 hundy at the stores. I think 40.00 plus the cost of shipping expense is a fair price if your interested.

Comment

Working...
                                X