Official Arrowhead ID Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Johnny View Post
    Do you have a clearer pic of that point?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Johnny, I don't but I will ask for better pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Went to Edwards County this weekend. Hiked up the mountain to the 'Indian Cave' as we call it. Must have been a cave they sheltered in during bad weather, absolutely tons of flint up in there. Really need to do some digging in there.

However, I did find a nutting stone. Has the little craters on both sides of the rock.

And the cave (which reeks of aoudad ram)

Comment

Do you have a clearer pic of that point?

Got my buddy to send a few more

Comment

Originally posted by The General View Post
          Went to Edwards County this weekend. Hiked up the mountain to the 'Indian Cave' as we call it. Must have been a cave they sheltered in during bad weather, absolutely tons of flint up in there. Really need to do some digging in there.

However, I did find a nutting stone. Has the little craters on both sides of the rock.

Awesome find! That cave is just itching for a wiggle pick and a shovel. Keep us updated if you do any digging.

Unfortunately, I believe that point is modern made. Maybe someone on here can correct me on that.

Comment

Awesome find! That cave is just itching for a wiggle pick and a shovel. Keep us updated if you do any digging.

Unfortunately, I believe that point is modern made. Maybe someone on here can correct me on that.
            Yep maybe he found it in a gas station at Johnson city. If he persists in sticking to the story that he found it, maybe someone set him up and planted it where he'd find it. looks modern to me also. That cave looks awesome!

Comment

I didnt want to be the one to break the bad news..... i think your friend is yanking your chain. Now on the cave! thats a dream dig right there. there may be 6ft of pristine goodness in the floor of that sucker.

Comment

Man I thought so too.. But when he told me he found it on the ranch road, I thought authentic. After seeing how you phrased your comment asking for more pics, I pretty much knew. You guys have the true trained eye that I'm still working on.

Originally posted by MASTERS View Post
                Yep maybe he found it in a gas station at Johnson city. If he persists in sticking to the story that he found it, maybe someone set him up and planted it where he'd find it. looks modern to me also. That cave looks awesome!
                I'm going to grill him on it and see if he is pulling a fast one or really did find it.

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                I didnt want to be the one to break the bad news..... i think your friend is yanking your chain. Now on the cave! thats a dream dig right there. there may be 6ft of pristine goodness in the floor of that sucker.
                I know the cave has been dug before, as my uncle did some digging and found a cola can about 1ft down. There is also an old sifter up there and two shovel heads, (not my uncles- from previous owners 12+ years ago).

However I don't think it has been truly 'excavated' and all points/artifacts found. The nutting stone was found amongst a pile of other similar sized rocks, so it has certainly been looked over a time or two.
                Last edited by Patton; 08-15-2016, 12:39 PM.

Comment

Official Arrowhead ID Thread

More pictures of the cave. In picture 1, you can see there is a space that looks like it was carved into. The reason I think that is it is not full of holes and cavernous like the rest of the cave, but much smoother. That little nook is also the spot that would be most shielded from the N wind. Perhaps an old warrior and his woman would hole up in there.

Picture 4 shows what the walls of the cave are like, very porous limestone loaded with fossils. I'm hoping one of the higher holes has a cache of Clovis points in it that hasn't been found

Edit: I looked at all the larger rocks in the cave; but **** it, is that something dished out in bottom left of pic 2!? I need to go back...

Last edited by Patton; 08-15-2016, 12:51 PM.

Comment

SW Edwards County Arrowhead

My folks bought us a place in SW Edwards County and I found our first point on the surface in a dry creek bed. Although I have hunted arrowheads some since I was a kid, I'm a novice so wondered if there is anything noteworthy about this one. Thanks!
                    Attached Files

Comment

The General...yes, that does look like something that is dished out. Go back, get that sucker and get pics!

Sporting Stan, that is a worn out point so hard to tell exactly what it was...maybe a possible Ensor. Great find none the less! That area is loaded with old camps along the creeks n river (Nueces) out that way.

Comment

Originally posted by gigem95 View Post
                        Any ideas on this one? Brazos county.
                        Lol thats a big ole Perdiz Brazos county is a bit of a sleeler for those things.

Comment

Alrighty, I am extremely green with arrowhead ID, so does anyone know what this broken point is? Found in Mason County. Also, what books would you recommend for ID?
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Puncher51 View Post
                            Alrighty, I am extremely green with arrowhead ID, so does anyone know what this broken point is? Found in Mason County. Also, what books would you recommend for ID?
                            I would look into picking up one of the newest editions of the overstreet artifact guide to help ID all you're artifacts

Comment

And I'd say that point is maybe a san marcos or marshall

Comment

Looks like a Castroville to me. Stone Artifacts of Texas Indians is a pretty good book. It's gives some history as well as point type.
                                Good luck on future hunts!

Comment

Working...
                                X