to leave cocked or not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

to leave cocked or not

do you let the firing pin down when storing guns ?

I do.

Comment

Nope!
      Cocked, locked and loaded always. Saves time if ever needed.

Comment

Yes. Except for ones specifiically set up for self defense. ( but those arent being stored )

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
          Nope!
          Cocked, locked and loaded always. Saves time if ever needed.
          Same for me. One shotgun, one rifle and at least two pistols cocked and locked at all times.

Comment

Rifles yes

Comment

I've never seen or owned an unloaded gun. I treat them all as loaded. The only time a gun is unloaded is if I hand it off to another person.

Comment

In answer to your question. Yes, I release tension on the firing pin spring when storing guns. For bolt and hammer rifles it's easy to do without "dropping" the pin on an empty chamber. For shotguns I use snap caps. I think they make them for rifle cartridges as well.

Originally posted by barnett77859 View Post
                do you let the firing pin down when storing guns ?

Comment

Yup. Dry fire is always going on around my house.

Comment

Unless they are part of my "defense", stored guns in my vault are un-cocked and hammer spring released.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                      Unless they are part of my "defense", stored guns in my vault are un-cocked and hammer spring released.
                      This. ^^ This is how I was raised.

There's a difference between storing and using.

Comment

Everything I have is ready to go.

Comment

If they are being stored then yes, unloaded and hammer down. If they are staged for defense rifles are stored hammer down with a charged mag in, pistols staged for defense are loaded, round in the chamber.

1911's should NEVER be stored or carried with the hammer down in a round if in the chamber. JMB would have put a decocker on them if he wanted us to do that.

Comment

I do the only time I have one cocked is if it on my person. I have one shotgun loaded and one pistol loaded but not cocked. I’ve been in plenty of engagements it doesn’t take much time to cock. It actually takes longer to figure out what is going on than it takes to rack a bolt. Plus I have little ones and by the off chance they can get into the safe I don’t want them going off because it seems to be a stretch to 1 get in the safe 2 put the correct bullets in the correct rifle 3 figure out how to cock it and shoot. Rather than them just having to figure out a safety. I trained with Israeli Troops for a year and they never keep a round in the chamber.
                            I HAD a friend that always kept his stuff loaded with a safety on and one day another person went to move his truck for him and his deer rifle had slid across the bench seat when he pulled up, so when the other guy went to open the door, the rifle (Winchester model 70 .270) fell out on the ground and went off shooting a hole through the door frame. The guy who owned the gun never came back to the ranch by request.

Comment

My defense guns are ready to rock and roll. Just squeeze trigger. All else is put away empty and trigger released

Comment

Working...
                              X