Gun Cleaning Kits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gun Cleaning Kits

Any recs on universal gun cleaning kits. Would rather pay more to get quality product. Thanks in advance.

I've bought the cheap Hoppe's kits as a budget and portable option in the past, and they are adequate and better than nothing when a cleaning is needed. I broke down and bought a one piece cleaning rod years ago and it definitely changed things for the better. I have used it for .22 to .30 caliber rifles and it has worked great. I have purchased caliber specific jigs and brushes over the years to allow the rod to be used with multiple calibers. I highly recommend the one piece rod, but am not familiar with a universal kit that combines the one piece rod. I have seen some decent looking multi-piece cleaning rod kits (think much better than the Hoppe's kits) at stores like Bass Pro. I would recommend looking online at Midway, Bass Pro/Cabelas, etc. and reading the reviews of the universal kits being offered to determine the best option/price point for your needs.

Comment

"Pay more for quality" I'd follow Bigfootwolff's advise. I haven't touched my universal kit since buying a one piece rod. I bought a .22 cal rod and use it for all of my rifles just purchase the jags and brushes as needed.

Comment

x3 on a one piece rod. A decent rod and a set of brushes and jags runs about $60. Most universal kits with a good assortment are $40+ and then you have a junky multi piece rod. Buy once cry once.

Comment

I use a one piece rod with pro shot jags and nylon brushes. Get you a good bore guide and a solid cradle. Always clean action to muzzle!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

More barrels have been ruined with “universal” cleaning kits than have been ruined by shooting. Never ever use one of those pieces of crap unless it’s an emergency. I carry a good quality one on hunts where a one piece cleaning rod wouldn’t be practical. One piece rods with a good bearing in the handle are the way to go.

Comment

I use bore snakes and never let my barrels get so dirty as to need scrubbing with any kind of rod setup. Rustpruf to wipe my guns down with.

Comment

I’ve got this one in addition to a one piece Dewey rod. If you really want to get fancy you can pick up a bore guide as well. Covers all my cleaning needs and I can store solvents/rags/ect ect in the bottom of the kit.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                  I use bore snakes and never let my barrels get so dirty as to need scrubbing with any kind of rod setup. Rustpruf to wipe my guns down with.
                  same.

Once I went to the bore snakes, I tossed pretty much everything else. I have three or four size bore snakes, a couple of cans of Breakfree CRP and a few small jars of gun oil. Do that regularly, and it seems to keep everything clean and running well.

Comment

Working...
                  X