Recurve hunting sight recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recurve hunting sight recommendation

Looking for a recommendation for a good/simple/minimalist sight to add to my satori 19” for hunting.

Anyone have any experience they can share?

Did you see a noticeable improvement in your accuracy or consistency?

You could do the old match stick and rubber band trick.
    Don't get much more minimalist than that.

Sent from my U304AA using Tapatalk

Comment

It is "taboo" among the "traditionalists", but I gap shoot, and use "point on" for aiming. What they used to do before the purists muscled in. You could have asked Chis Flynn (Thumper) before he passed.

Comment

Looking for something a bit more secure and permanent that matchstick and bands/tape.

Brute, i understand. I was taught the purist way when I first began 15 years ago. Got decent. Started gap and have gotten significantly better. I love recurves and long bows and tinkering with them. Figured someone else has been down this path already and could weigh in with some experience.

I’m not trying to compete with anyone just enjoy sending arrows in the backyards and quietly hunting animals in beautiful places.
        Last edited by Nightowl; 01-28-2023, 10:19 PM.

Comment

Rick Barbee has a recent invention that showed promise if you don't have a really low anchor point.

Sent from my Nokia XR20 using Tapatalk
          Last edited by DRT; 01-28-2023, 10:33 PM.

Comment

I'll bump the thread.

Comment

Thank you DRT. Simple design. Similar to the SRF system I saw on 3rivers.

I’ve seen improvement from marking my risers as well. But it tends to cause me to shift my target focus around when I do that. An aperture should prevent that.

Comment

Here's a link to my "sights" web page.

I suggest reading all the info before making a decision on it, because it doesn't accommodate some shooting styles.

For those styles it does accommodate, it works very well.

Rick

Comment

I am still new to Traditional shooting, picked up a recurve back around Oct. I asked a similar question and got a lot of "heck" about sights not be traditional, but I know in the old days a lot of people were drilling holes to add some kind of sight or another. And one person replied, don't remember who, said do what makes you happy and if it makes you a better shooter then go with it. That being said, I been practicing almost every day shooting between 50 and 100+ arrows. I basically use the gap system for aiming but I did tie a nock right above the serving as a reference point, when anchored I make sure the nock is lined up with my right eye over the spot where I want to hit. This works for me at any distance up to 20 yards.

Comment

Originally posted by Cocobulldog View Post
                    I am still new to Traditional shooting, picked up a recurve back around Oct. I asked a similar question and got a lot of "heck" about sights not be traditional, but I know in the old days a lot of people were drilling holes to add some kind of sight or another. And one person replied, don't remember who, said do what makes you happy and if it makes you a better shooter then go with it. That being said, I been practicing almost every day shooting between 50 and 100+ arrows. I basically use the gap system for aiming but I did tie a nock right above the serving as a reference point, when anchored I make sure the nock is lined up with my right eye over the spot where I want to hit. This works for me at any distance up to 20 yards.
                    Unfortunately there is some of that out there.
                    For competition rules, yes you need to stay within the parameters. But as far as your shooting and hunting, you do you. It is much better to use a sight than not if it makes you more accurate.

Comment

Took archery class in college for a PE credit, and they had a bunch of aluminum riser recurves with foam tape on the front of the riser. The first few days of class, we would "sight in" the bow by stabbing a pin (needle) into the foam and adjusting it as needed until the arrow flew to the target. That's what I'd do probably, but if your needle gets bumped, it can ruin a hunt. Maybe mark the bow or something.

Comment

Maybe most don't find this to be true... but my aim is usually not the issue with my shooting. That said, I riser gap, and find my 20 yard "pin", then reference that for all my elevation aiming. My form and anchor are such that if my bow cant stays consistent I pretty much can let my subconscious set the left/right of the trajectory.

I think a sight would be an easy way to help keep focus on your form and shot execution! Best bet is probably to just get something cheap from 3 rivers or lancaster archery, and dial it in at your preferred distance, then learn your drops at shorter/longer ranges.

Comment

Working...
                        X