Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wife & I disagree deer in ice chest ...opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just add ice and leave the drain open. 10 days is a long time to leave in an ice chest though

Comment

Ice slows bacteria growth. If there were deer parts in there then there's bacteria.

As said, it's probably still safe but why risk it?

A better question would be when does ice get borderline unsafe due to bacteria?

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
        deer is gone. All is left is ICE & water. figure I can drain the water & add more ice
        Oh. I'd wash my cooler like normal and take it dry unless icing beer down

Comment

I’m with the, dump out and start fresh crowd.

Comment

With 10 days, there is no doubt I would be dumping out your bacterial slush, spray the cooler down with bleach spray,rinse it out and buy new. Ice is cheap......doctor bills are not.

Comment

Originally posted by dhall1414 View Post
              upsetting your wife seems pretty risky to me. you've got to pick your battles. give in on $10 worth of ice and make a stand on a better hill later.
              naah, that is not an issue. we hust disagree on the ice in the ice chest.

Comment

Why get new? it is ice it's freezing...Why can I not just add to it?
                You can. Go for it.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                  With 10 days, there is no doubt I would be dumping out your bacterial slush, spray the cooler down with bleach spray,rinse it out and buy new. Ice is cheap......doctor bills are not.

This. Food safety comes to mind. No telling what could grow in there. Dump, throughly wash, dry, new ice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Heck. She will never know- Just go and never mention it. But it will be fine. The temp itself keeps bacteria from growing.

Comment

Dump it, wash your ice chest, refill with new ice and new deer meat. I have a deer thats been on ice for 8 days now. Meat has been totally covered in ice the whole time with the drain plug open and ice chest elevated so water can drain. I know the meat is good to go, but there is some dried blood and stuff around the inside of the ice chest that needs to be cleaned up before I put any fresh meat in there. You probably dont have anything to worry about, but why not clean it all up ?

Comment

Stubborn is a hard thing to deal with.

Comment

what am I risking?
                          A chance of bacteria growth maybe. Maybe not. I'm not a biology major. It may be just fine but it may not. I say don't take the chance. If you knew for sure you wouldn't have asked...so there must an unknown risk involved. Like I said, ice is cheap.

Comment

ok folks...I concede...I'll dump the ice in morning and clean it before leaving

Comment

Originally posted by rolylane6 View Post
                              A chance of bacteria growth maybe. Maybe not. I'm not a biology major. It may be just fine but it may not. I say don't take the chance. If you knew for sure you wouldn't have asked...so there must an unknown risk involved. Like I said, ice is cheap.

no, that was from her.

Comment

Would you put it in your Crown & Coke ?

Comment

Working...
                                X