anthrax updates for Sutton and valverde

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by James View Post
    We’re estimating 10% die off so far on our 20k plus acre low fence lease in Kinney County so far. Sad stuff

Where in Kinney are you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Norseman View Post
      Where in Kinney are you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      About 15 miles NW of Bracketville. Over 70 found, no telling how many in brush
      Last edited by James; 07-29-2019, 08:57 PM.

Comment

20+ YEARS

you cannot stop it... you can not prevent it. you can not treat it.

feed is good for deer that eat it.. not all deer eat it...

the feed is an antibiotic ... so you need multiple doses each day to make sure it works..
        get all deer to come to a feeder every day for 15 days straight...

its not going to happen

Comment

Going to check our lease south of Ozona this weekend. Lease manager told me today they have found about 30 dead deer so far. He suggested that I turn off my feeders when I’m out there is weekend.

Comment

Does this kill off aoudad & other exotics?

Comment

Originally posted by 32drawlength View Post
              Does this kill off aoudad & other exotics?
              Yes and very big ones

Comment

Tt our rancher this afternoon. We lost a few deer and he believes it is done at our place. He lost a few sheep that missed vaccinations but no cattle. We actually lose a few deer every year due to anthrax. We had been trying to get our herd back to manageable numbers and this is not how I wanted to do it. Keep the updates coming! Btw we are 40 mi south of Sonora and got completely wiped out in 1999-2000.

Comment

We got hit hard about 8 years ago. killed off a couple age classes and make for some slim years. I would say we are still feeling he effects of it.

Comment

Originally posted by powderburner View Post
                    20+ YEARS

you cannot stop it... you can not prevent it. you can not treat it.

feed is good for deer that eat it.. not all deer eat it...

the feed is an antibiotic ... so you need multiple doses each day to make sure it works..
                    get all deer to come to a feeder every day for 15 days straight...

its not going to happen
                    Best odds are to feed medicated feed and not run livestock. Keep their noses out of the dirt the best way you can. Definitely unavoidable, but minimize the damage. Kills everything except hogs.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

I've heard of some cases in Montell. We need rain badly. That's the best way to stop it. We added tetracycline to our protein feed for what its worth. We lost about 2/3 of our deer about 10-12 years ago in the last outbreak.

Comment

A friends place just south of Sonora on 277 in Sutton County found close to 100 dead deer and didn't see a single live one.

Comment

Originally posted by Sticks&Strings View Post
                          Best odds are to feed medicated feed and not run livestock. Keep their noses out of the dirt the best way you can. Definitely unavoidable, but minimize the damage. Kills everything except hogs.

How does not running livestock help? Livestock can be vaccinated and have a very strong chance of surviving with the vaccine. Also, the Anthrax spores are on the grass as well as the dirt and the deer get it just as easily grazing as eating feed off of the bare ground.

I only ask because I am curious. You may be way more versed than me on the subject and I might learn something new.

Comment

Originally posted by 88 Bound View Post
                            How does not running livestock help? Livestock can be vaccinated and have a very strong chance of surviving with the vaccine. Also, the Anthrax spores are on the grass as well as the dirt and the deer get it just as easily grazing as eating feed off of the bare ground.

I only ask because I am curious. You may be way more versed than me on the subject and I might learn something new.
                            Anthrax is a poorly understood pathogen. I guess livestock graze the grass down so far that deer are subjected a dustier environment. The triumvirate of anthrax is a cool, wet spring; followed by a dry hot summer; then lots of deer and horse flies. The theory is that the bacteria proliferate in the cool, moist earth, then form spores when it gets hot and dry. The flies bite the deer and other animals on the nose, leaving open wounds for the spores to get into as animals feed near the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                              We got hit hard about 8 years ago. killed off a couple age classes and make for some slim years. I would say we are still feeling he effects of it.

We got his the same year. We came back pretty good, but it took awhile. We are between Sheffield and Pumpville. I was out there this past weekend and didn't see any dead deer. No smell of rotting animals anywhere, so I hope we've made it unscathed.

Comment

Originally posted by 88 Bound View Post

Anthrax is in the soil, not the grass. The livestock keep grass and weeds and browse eaten and beat down close to the dirt. Deer now have to really get their nose down close to or in to the dirt to get their food to eat that tender new growth. Keep their noses as far off the ground, and your odds increase of minimizing death.

Comment

Working...
                                X