LBJ Grasslands any good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LBJ Grasslands any good?

I have heard many things about LBJ. Would love to get my boys up there for hog and then deer in the fall. Any thoughts and locations? Thanks for any feedback.

No hogs or they are few and far between--or at least after hunting there for 9 years I've never seen one!
    Get a map at the headquarters to find the sections, find the creek bottoms and scout scout scout.
    Lots of deer and lots of turkey, squirrels year round, lots of coyotes in certain sections.
    It's archery, shotgun or muzzleloader ONLY.
    There will be threads on here periodically about it.

Comment

I agree with Pat. Seen some hog sign but never seen a hog there. Lots of turkey and deer though. Although they are deffinantly hip to the game. Good luck getting the deer or especially the turkey off the private lands. Good luck!

Comment

I have been turkey hunting up there this year and you can get them to talk but its hard to get them to come in. They hang up on the private farms around there and they aint dumb thats for sure.

Comment

Thanks for the input. Any good places to varmit hunt with a bow...coyote or bobcat. I just started shooting my bow this year and would love to practice on some "live" targets before hunting season next year!

Comment

i agree with the prior post, if there are any hogs there they are few and far between. the wildlife is surely aware of the public. if you get the chance to go for deer get a doe permit to increase your chances. dont forget it is bow,shotgun,or smokepole. no rifles.

Comment

Just got back turkey hunting today and saw 13 turkey (mostly hens) started calling and got about 30 yards from a gobbler but he wasnt moving, he expected the hen to come to him and i couldnt get a shot off in in the heavy brush, also saw 3 deer and a coyote. It was a pretty fun day.

Comment

Ditto on the "no hogs".
                Some of the guys that claimed they saw hog sign I think were looking at over-zealous armadillo diggings. I remeber one saying he had seen sign in unit 60, and i went all ovet that unit the next week and saw only armadillo diggings.
                I used to hunt there all the time, but not in the last 2 years. However, I never saw a hog. Plenty of turkeys, especially on private land in freshly plowed fields!

Comment

I sure am glad you guys think there are no hogs out at the LBJ!! They are out there, just gotta quit deer hunting, and start hog hunting to find them.

Comment

Talked to a hunter Monday who said he and his buddy killed 4 gobblers and two hogs in one of the Units west of Hwy 287.

Comment

Good to grapevine Lake for hogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Blood Trail View Post
                        Good to grapevine Lake for hogs.
                        How did you hunt the hogs out there? I tried once and saw tons of evidence that they were there, but no hogs

Comment

do you need a special permit to hunt grapevine?

Comment

I have never seen them there either

Comment

I've seen one hog in 4 years of hunting out there. As previously stated you got to put in your scouting work, but if you do you could be rewarded nicely.

Comment

Working...
                              X