Mountain conditions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mountain conditions

Thought I might start a thread about how conditions are shaping up for the elk hunters heading North.

Parts of Wyoming have HIGH to VERY HIGH fire danger right now. No restrictions yet but we're watching for moisture up higher.
    Good sized fire burning near Pathfinder Res. has some closures in place.
    Hazard tree removal has some road closures in the NF near Laramie, Snowy Range and Sierra Madres.
    Snowy Range has actually been getting some rains lately but hit and miss.

Colorado has some active fires right now also and High danger.

We had lots of good moisture early for lush growth and now it's all drying out. Check for fire restrictions before you head up and plan on campfires.

Mountains have been cooling down nicely at night, down into 30's and low 40's. Fall is near. Weather predictors in Colorado are talking about first snows soon. However, Labor Day is closing out summer with a hot one.

You all that have updates and more info on conditions in your hunting areas should post them up. I know some of you live in Colorado, Wyoming and other mountain areas.

Fire bans are spreading west in Colorado and will not be lifted until we get some moisture.
    Park Co is now included as well as Summit County.

Comment

Here in SE Idaho we have been pretty lucky so far. Have had a couple big wildland fires in the desert, but the forest is pretty good still. Every dry lightning storm starts some new little ones, but the fighters get a handle on them quickly. We have a couple big ones up in Central Idaho that won't be out until winter.

Comment

I'm not surprised with all the beetle kill in southern Co. Has that extended to the northern area?

Comment

Yes, pretty much all of Colorado and Wyoming have significant beetle kill. Some good fires last few years have some areas trying to recover.
          If fires aren't a hazard the falling trees and blow down are.

Comment

Tagged

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
              Yes, pretty much all of Colorado and Wyoming have significant beetle kill. Some good fires last few years have some areas trying to recover.
              If fires aren't a hazard the falling trees and blow down are.

Deadfall is hard on us fat boys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

What's your take on pronghorn country in the SE quadrant of the state (between Laramie and Casper)?

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
                  What's your take on pronghorn country in the SE quadrant of the state (between Laramie and Casper)?
                  We're dry and hot right now in Laramie. Some hit and miss rain showers all over the area you're asking about last few weeks. Should be dry and hot this week with a weather change next weekend. Think cool thoughts !
                  Looks like fall is coming next weekend and will hang around for a bit.
                  Our long term shows highs in 60 and lows down into 30's in about a week or so.
                  Laramie has missed most of the good rains lately so it may be a little better up towards Casper.

Comment

Originally posted by Bh_liberty View Post
                    Deadfall is hard on us fat boys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Deadfall is hard on everyone. I try to navigate around the big areas. Usually the elk will have a trail through if you can't go around but it will be more elk friendly than people user friendly.

Comment

Working...
                    X