Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 10-26-2018, 05:03 PM   #501
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

W lake is 13.24 feet above normal and still rising. Releasing at 20,315 cfs.

A lake is 9.01 feet above normal and dropping. Release has cut back slightly to 2440 cfs.

PK and Grandbury continue with they're release. PK at 16,710 cfs and Grandbury at 27,240 cfs. I expect the W lake to continue rising for a little while.
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2018, 07:14 PM   #502
beararcher_84
Six Point

Hunt In: Lake Whitney

Looks like everything is still wet, muddy and flooded. Tried to go do a hunt this afternoon, got turned around back home

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
beararcher_84 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2018, 08:31 PM   #503
Riemachine
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Texas

Is anyone gonna try and get out this weekend? I took Monday off and am trying to decide weather to give W lake a shot or some family land in Copperas Cove that might be less flooded. Any chance it might dry up a little between now and Monday?
Riemachine is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2018, 08:38 PM   #504
beararcher_84
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riemachine View Post
Is anyone gonna try and get out this weekend? I took Monday off and am trying to decide weather to give W lake a shot or some family land in Copperas Cove that might be less flooded. Any chance it might dry up a little between now and Monday?
H1 and H2 where flooded, along with the area just past Arnold Stone, forget what unit number that is on the Nolan River. Just remember its there from fishing down there this past spring break and asking someone on here about it

Old 10-27-2018, 02:27 AM   #505
Storm
Pope & Young

Im going to be there in the morning and my area is a mud pit.
Storm is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2018, 09:49 AM   #506
Storm
Pope & Young

No one is out here today.
Old 10-27-2018, 04:15 PM   #507
Ender
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bosque,hill counties, anywhere i can

I went yesterday morning stayed till about 1030 didn’t see anything the creek is pretty full of but I was able to get out there. Probably gonna stay away from my primary spot till Thursday or Friday when the cold front comes in. May hit some of my old spots and see what I can do with the decoy. I leave for work right as peak rut swings in but what can ya do?
Ender is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2018, 04:36 PM   #508
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

PK has cut it's release back to 8,000 cfs! Yeah!

Grandbury has dropped it's release to 18,900.

The W lake is 13.79 feet above normal and still rising despite releasing 20,391 cfs.
I expect it will continue for a little while longer, if PK and Grandbury don't get any more rain. And the smaller lakes on the lower and middle Brazos are able to get they're levels down.

A lake is 7.96 feet above normal and still dropping with a release of 2,408 cfs.

Waco and Belton are the two most flooded smaller lakes on the lower and mid Brazos, with Stillhouse in 3rd place at 13.34 feet above normal and rising. These three lakes need some relief.
Old 10-27-2018, 04:51 PM   #509
beararcher_84
Six Point

Im just ready to go hunting already!!! Was very depressing wasteing time and gas to get down there yesterday and have to turn around and drive right back home

Old 10-27-2018, 10:10 PM   #510
coojay
Four Point

Hunting is hard enough, flood dam sure doesnít help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
coojay is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2018, 10:33 PM   #511
beararcher_84
Six Point

Definitely!! This to shall pas...gun season opened up so dose mean a few less folks out there

Old 10-28-2018, 06:51 AM   #512
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Regular gun deer season starts next weekend. This is youth deer and duck weekend though.
Old 10-28-2018, 07:05 AM   #513
beararcher_84
Six Point

Oh ok, also explains why there isnt alot of people, out with the kids hunting on places that allow youth hunters

Old 10-28-2018, 09:35 AM   #514
Outtabeer
Nubbin' Buck

Anyone know if the access to h-11 right by harbor master still accessible? Water was getting close to road earlier this week
Outtabeer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-28-2018, 10:38 AM   #515
switchback
Ten Point

Nothing like two jacklegs walking around in the woods messing up everyone’s hunt rattling and grunting like they’re going to see something. Walking all around my buddy and through his set up. He said something but they couldn’t see him. Then later he screamed at them lol! Nothing but a squirrel and some crows so far here.
switchback is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-28-2018, 11:04 AM   #516
justindfw
Ten Point

Hunt In: Whitney public land

Ahhh the good old mega deer callers. I had a guy one year that hit the grunt every 30 seconds for a good three hrs straight.
justindfw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-28-2018, 11:08 AM   #517
beararcher_84
Six Point

Isnt little early for grunting and rattling?

Old 10-28-2018, 11:21 AM   #518
justindfw
Ten Point

I personally have never had luck out there rattling. But bucks usually breed in the area from mid oct to late nov.
Old 10-28-2018, 11:22 AM   #519
justindfw
Ten Point

Grunts are vocalization. Deer grunt and bleat year round.
Old 10-28-2018, 11:28 AM   #520
switchback
Ten Point

Yeah I just don’t see you stalking high pressured deer out here. Only thing your going to do is ruin a lot of people’s hunts and make some people mad.
Old 10-28-2018, 12:23 PM   #521
Ispdnxs
Six Point

Hunt In: Various Public Lands

Quote:
Originally Posted by switchback View Post
Nothing like two jacklegs walking around in the woods messing up everyoneís hunt rattling and grunting like theyíre going to see something. Walking all around my buddy and through his set up. He said something but they couldnít see him. Then later he screamed at them lol! Nothing but a squirrel and some crows so far here.
Reminds me of one day last year. Was geared up and getting ready to head in when a truck pulled up next to me to park. 3 folks inside smoking with the windows up, they get out and all three of them had rattling antlers and grunt tubes. Asked them which way they were heading, then went the opposite direction. Still heard them talking (loudly) on their way in and back out two hours later. Was about to line up a shot on a doe when their exit noise spooked her. Just called it a day after that. The challenges of public hunting...
Ispdnxs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-28-2018, 12:38 PM   #522
beararcher_84
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by justindfw View Post
Grunts are vocalization. Deer grunt and bleat year round.
Oh ok. Always thought rattling and grunting was a rut thing. Welp, learn something new everyday.
Dose suck though people being obnoxiously rude in the deer woods though. Ive used a grunt tube, and rattle bag a few times. But Ill blow 3 4 times in a row, or rattle the bag like 10 15 seconds. Then I stop for 30 45 minutes before I try again. Cant say Ive had much luck with it neither, so probably used it 3 times or so and Im done with it for the day

Old 10-29-2018, 10:33 AM   #523
Ender
Ten Point

I watched a video not long ago (I think it was Dave bartylla) he said on these very high pressure deer it’s better to not go full fight rattling, but rather just do a sparring sequence like you would early season. That’s my plan this season just a bit of light tickles and see what happens.
Old 10-29-2018, 06:00 PM   #524
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Good news yall. Grandbury has cut it's release back some more to 8685 cfs. But PK is still releasing 8475 cfs.

W lake level is 13.80 above normal. It actually peaked a little higher the last 24 hours. But dropped back down.

A lake is still dropping and down to 5.68 feet above normal.
Old 10-30-2018, 05:11 PM   #525
Ender
Ten Point

Been sitting all day today. Probably tomorrow and Thursday and Friday as well. Got busted early this morning about 8am while I was setting up my camera. Haven’t seen nor heard anything since then. I’m starving though lol forgot to pack a snack this morning.
Old 10-30-2018, 05:15 PM   #526
Riemachine
Nubbin' Buck

I got out yesterday afternoon/evening and hunted a bit. Ended up somehow forgetting my main treestand strap so I was grounded. Sat in some spots with good sign but didn't see any deer. I did bump what I think was a big buck in an amazing bedding location. It's back was against a steep drop off into water, wind across it's face with vision looking down the only trail possible. These public land bucks are crazy smart and a very fun challenge!
Old 10-30-2018, 06:25 PM   #527
beararcher_84
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riemachine View Post
I got out yesterday afternoon/evening and hunted a bit. Ended up somehow forgetting my main treestand strap so I was grounded. Sat in some spots with good sign but didn't see any deer. I did bump what I think was a big buck in an amazing bedding location. It's back was against a steep drop off into water, wind across it's face with vision looking down the only trail possible. These public land bucks are crazy smart and a very fun challenge!
If ya ever see a red Ranger single cab, with a Mathews, Texas Tech, Scentblaster sticker on the back window, I keep a bag full of extra ratchet straps,hoist ropes in a bag with me. Id let ya borrow 1 or 2 to get your stand up if needed

Old 10-30-2018, 09:21 PM   #528
Ender
Ten Point

Well I shot a doe and I think my target buck was hiding in the bushes can’t be positive it was him though. The shot wasn’t great think I got one lung and liver. Blood got sparse so I’m going home for a bit and coming back with better lights.
Old 10-30-2018, 09:23 PM   #529
Ender
Ten Point

Well I shot a doe and I think my target buck was hiding in the bushes canít be positive it was him though. The shot wasnít great think I got one lung and liver. Blood got sparse so Iím going home for a bit and coming back with better lights.
Old 10-30-2018, 10:09 PM   #530
Riemachine
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by beararcher_84 View Post
If ya ever see a red Ranger single cab, with a Mathews, Texas Tech, Scentblaster sticker on the back window, I keep a bag full of extra ratchet straps,hoist ropes in a bag with me. Id let ya borrow 1 or 2 to get your stand up if needed

Thank you! I appreciate that! Next time I will try and forget something less important. 😂
Old 10-30-2018, 10:10 PM   #531
Riemachine
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender View Post
Well I shot a doe and I think my target buck was hiding in the bushes canít be positive it was him though. The shot wasnít great think I got one lung and liver. Blood got sparse so Iím going home for a bit and coming back with better lights.
Congrats! Hope you find her!
Old 10-31-2018, 04:13 AM   #532
Ender
Ten Point

Well I wondered around out there for 3 1/2 hours and couldn’t find her. Blood only went about 20’ from where I left off before I couldn’t find another drop. So I started grid searching as best I could with all the brush. Tried to follow the deer trails all around the area, searched the bedding areas and everywhere I could think of. No deer and no more blood. The coyotes were yipping in two or three spots while I was there. Idk if they found her yet or if she’ll live, when I watched the video it’s hard to tell if the shot was fatal or not. I can see ift on the camera but it’s to dark on bigger screens. Pretty bummed out and pretty tired, I just bought lumenoks and installed them and I fear they made my arrow drop I’ll check it tomorrow morning to find out.
Old 10-31-2018, 10:27 AM   #533
switchback
Ten Point

Sorry to hear that Ender. Better luck next time.
Old 10-31-2018, 06:49 PM   #534
TTUgrad08
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by switchback View Post
Sorry to hear that Ender. Better luck next time.
Plus 1
TTUgrad08 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-31-2018, 07:02 PM   #535
justindfw
Ten Point

Always stinks to lose a deer. Keep after it though.
Old 10-31-2018, 07:03 PM   #536
justindfw
Ten Point

Hopefully I can get out of this dang state of oklahoma in Time to put corn out friday so I can hunt this weekend.
Old 10-31-2018, 08:24 PM   #537
Storm
Pope & Young

Quote:
Hopefully I can get out of this dang state of oklahoma in Time to put corn out friday so I can hunt this weekend.
I would put it out on the morning of the hunt Justin, those pigs are highly active at night in my spot.
Old 10-31-2018, 09:03 PM   #538
justindfw
Ten Point

Well if one of the dang hogs would slip up and come out in the daylight ide shoot it aswell.
Old 10-31-2018, 09:26 PM   #539
beararcher_84
Six Point

Thinking about trying to make a all day sit tomorrow in my normal spot

Old 10-31-2018, 11:45 PM   #540
Ender
Ten Point

Quote:
Well if one of the dang hogs would slip up and come out in the daylight ide shoot it aswell.
Funny thing happened this afternoon, I walked up on a pig on the way out. I could have shot it if Iíd had my wits about me, I thought it was a dog at first because it wasnít skittish about me walking by. If Iíd stopped earlier and took my pack off and crept up it would have been easy to shoot him. Hell I was 7 yards from him before he realized I was there. But I was all rain geared up and by the time I got the poncho off he had already noticed me and turned tail.

I plan on an all day hunt tomorrow as well BA Iíve got two great bucks out in daylight especially when itís cold out. The one for my north wind spot is my second choice but Iíll take him if he comes out tomorrow if not Iíll be in my south wind stand Friday and that buck is absolutely gorgeous 14 scorable points non typical and a lot of palmation. My favorite kind a funky rack. Also just so everyone knows the rut is started, the buck that was hiding in the bushes the other day was chasing the doe I shot. He barely spooked when I shot her and still followed her around after the shot. He was barely aware anything happened. Good luck out there, be careful
Old 11-01-2018, 08:34 AM   #541
Super Six-Four
Four Point

Hunt In: Texas, Louisiana, Illinois, Colorado, Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender View Post
Funny thing happened this afternoon, I walked up on a pig on the way out. I could have shot it if Iíd had my wits about me, I thought it was a dog at first because it wasnít skittish about me walking by. If Iíd stopped earlier and took my pack off and crept up it would have been easy to shoot him. Hell I was 7 yards from him before he realized I was there. But I was all rain geared up and by the time I got the poncho off he had already noticed me and turned tail.

I plan on an all day hunt tomorrow as well BA Iíve got two great bucks out in daylight especially when itís cold out. The one for my north wind spot is my second choice but Iíll take him if he comes out tomorrow if not Iíll be in my south wind stand Friday and that buck is absolutely gorgeous 14 scorable points non typical and a lot of palmation. My favorite kind a funky rack. Also just so everyone knows the rut is started, the buck that was hiding in the bushes the other day was chasing the doe I shot. He barely spooked when I shot her and still followed her around after the shot. He was barely aware anything happened. Good luck out there, be careful

Sorry about the lost deer and thanks for the updates. When I canít get to the woods until later in the year it always helps scratch that itch to see some if you regulars (Storm, Texas Grown, Sasky) posting updates here.
Super Six-Four is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-01-2018, 10:11 PM   #542
Ender
Ten Point

Well I saw my secondary target at about 60 yds right at sunset but I couldn’t get him to come on in. Don’t know if the pop up wasn’t brushed in enough or if he was just cruising. He looked for about 2 minutes before he left but he didn’t seem to skittish so I think he was just checking the corn for does. He went off towards the doe beds.
Old 11-01-2018, 10:27 PM   #543
nonamehoff
Four Point

Saw this. Went to my 3rd spot and snagged a small 8 pointer. Was able to call him in with a doe grunt. I ditched my ground blind and trusted my camo and the chama chair. 40 yards and he fell 10 yards away. Just finished packing him out. Was gonna be here all weekend.. but got luck on the first day. Im out of broadhead bands so I might scout out for a new entry point to the closed road.
Attached Images

nonamehoff is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-01-2018, 10:28 PM   #544
beararcher_84
Six Point

Just currious if anyone was come across any wild dogs? Got a chance to go hunting today since both my classes didnt meet. While sitting I saw what I thought where 3 coyotes at first, but when they rounded into my shooting lane, they looked like part pitbull. They sniffed around like they where tracking something, then off they disappeared and then another 2 dogs came in, they where some kinda red white muts. They did look feed, but lacked collars and no one was calling after them, whistling or anything. Did see 2 guys walking around, the time they where in the area but never saw the dogs with them. The guys, where in jeans, one in a red tshirt another was gray, no hunter orange, no bow, crossbow, shotgun or anything like that with them. So kinda made me suspicious they dumped the 5 dogs out there and left

Old 11-01-2018, 11:55 PM   #545
coop
Ten Point

Trying to do some catch up. Been about a month since I was on here last or at least I think so. Sorry to hear about your hospital stay Storm but I'm glad it worked out for you.
I had my right knee replaced Oct. 9 and my left knee replaced Oct. 16. Couple of days later had problems with high heart rate so back to the hospital for another week of testing. After a week of testing heart, lungs and every hole I've got nothing was found. So I was wrapped up and sent to the VA. They tweaked my Agent Orange meds and I'm doing well again. Seems like Agent Orange has taken about another 1/3rd of my lung compacity and oxygen might be a problem now but hey the knees are doing well. They have been the easy part so far.
Really enjoyed catching up. Might even get to ride down this weekend and look around the lake.

Good luck to all of you.
coop is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2018, 01:12 AM   #546
fowltrouble2
Four Point

Hunt In: TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonamehoff View Post
Saw this. Went to my 3rd spot and snagged a small 8 pointer. Was able to call him in with a doe grunt. I ditched my ground blind and trusted my camo and the chama chair. 40 yards and he fell 10 yards away. Just finished packing him out. Was gonna be here all weekend.. but got luck on the first day. Im out of broadhead bands so I might scout out for a new entry point to the closed road.
Congrats!!! Any pics of him? I need to get myself a call.
fowltrouble2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2018, 01:36 AM   #547
nonamehoff
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by fowltrouble2 View Post
Congrats!!! Any pics of him? I need to get myself a call.
No pic unfortunately. :/
nonamehoff is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2018, 10:28 AM   #548
Super Six-Four
Four Point

Hunt In: Texas, Louisiana, Illinois, Colorado, Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckshot-73 View Post

Just saying. ....
What app is that?
Super Six-Four is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2018, 11:52 AM   #549
Storm
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by coop View Post
Trying to do some catch up. Been about a month since I was on here last or at least I think so. Sorry to hear about your hospital stay Storm but I'm glad it worked out for you.
I had my right knee replaced Oct. 9 and my left knee replaced Oct. 16. Couple of days later had problems with high heart rate so back to the hospital for another week of testing. After a week of testing heart, lungs and every hole I've got nothing was found. So I was wrapped up and sent to the VA. They tweaked my Agent Orange meds and I'm doing well again. Seems like Agent Orange has taken about another 1/3rd of my lung compacity and oxygen might be a problem now but hey the knees are doing well. They have been the easy part so far.
Really enjoyed catching up. Might even get to ride down this weekend and look around the lake.

Good luck to all of you.
Good to hear your doing better Coop.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:55 AM   #550
Storm
Pope & Young

Super Six-Four good to hear from you, now get out there an do some hunting.