No announcement yet.

THE Official Twin Buttes Reservoir Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you four wheeler and dirt bikes riding all thru Area IV. You are a bunch of winners.

Comment

THE Official Twin Buttes Reservoir Thread

Gotta love it...

Comment

Bow shop near Midland

Hey yall I just bought an un-used bow that my buddy bought a couple of years ago but I need to have the string put back on and the draw stop set. Where could I have this done near Midland?

Comment

Hunting TBR advice

Hello all,
          I am going to be hunting TBR for the first time in a long time and looking for advice. I am thinking of spring turkey and wondering if any of you have advice on where would be likely? Also wondering if any of you have seen feral hog sign anywhere out there? My boy is really hot to hunt them and wondering where I might go? I will be bowhunting so appreciate any advice you might have.

Howard Reed

Comment

Howard there are several flocks all around the lake property; did u have a specific area you wanted to hunt in particular? All Area except for area 7 has birds; it's really personal preference as to where you want to hunt for birds... I can show you around the lake and area which hold birds if you'd like

Comment

JD,
              Thanks for your offer. I would love it if you could help me figure out the areas and show me some keys. I would say if I had a preference for an area it would be either V or I and II. The big problem is that I am unsure of areas so that help would be awesome.

Comment

JD, can you pm me. it won't let me leave my email.

Comment

Originally posted by DuramaxDude View Post
                  Guys we have a blind/spot crasher in our midst on unit 5.
                  Duamaxdude, I am wondering how do you get into V. The last time I went out there there was no gate of 12 mile bridge.

Comment

Howard, at unit 5 you just pull off the road before 12 mile bridge, park there, and walk in. There is no gate to open and drive through to drive on to the unit. Its a walk in basically and wouldn't really be big enough to drive around on. Some guys drive down to the house on the west end and drive down the fence to get to the back side instead of walking to the back from the front. I am guessing that house is actually an office or home base for a trucking company.

Comment

Duramax Dude,
                      Thank for the input. I was out there some time ago and I was able to drive in from 12 mile bridge and cross the fence at that point. I will probably be scouting that and Area I for spring Turkey. I think that I will focus on those two areas. I would like to look at VII but have yet to figure the way into it. I drove down Spillway but there is a gate in the way. Any advice you might have I would appreciate.

Howard Reed

Comment

Guys,
                        I am thinking about investing in a trail cam. I found one at a pawn shop and the price is only $40 what do you think? I am thinking about beginning to work on a natural blind in I and V and I may install a gravity tube type feeder. Do you think this would work for both deer and turkey? I am hoping to work together with others here so if I get set up I will advise of location and can share with all if interested.

Comment

Howard,
                          I haven’t hunted for turkey around the Twin Buttes area but I would imagine any of the areas around the lake and close to water with roosting trees would have turkey. I don’t think you are able to access unit VII from spill way road. They have been keeping that gate to the park area back there closed and that unit is on the other side of the dam they have built there for the spill way/lake/eq channel. I would think the best way to get to unit VII is from the road heading down to the old boat ramps by Safari Studios off 67 and then turning off back to the east. I have done some fishing on unit IV and i would be willing to bet there are some turkey back in there also. When you enter unit IV go right and continue down that fence line until you hit water which I think is spring creek. Watch out though the road is rough which is pretty much all of them out on the units from kids mudding out there and stuff. There are pools and taller trees in that area. I have also had a buddy or 2 shoot turkey in unit III. Lots of guys have put out the gravity feeders made out of pvc with a 3way 45 on the bottom. I would imagine deer and turkey would use it, though turkey would be more inclined to feed off the ground. As far as the game cam goes put one out at your own risk there are thieves out on there and many guys have had their stuff stolen. Guys have chained and locked stuff and still had people come out with bolt cutters and steal their stuff. As far as a natural blind goes a lot of guys have built those also, including me. The rules are kinda foggy about putting out feeders and cutting down the growing vegetation on the units. Don’t be surprised if you walk up for a hunt and find someone sitting in the blind built also. From what I have gathered you can only use deadfall for building a blind (not cut anything down to use) and you can only bait by hand "hand corn" not a feeder. I am not sure of this though. It may be gravity feeders and not automatic feeders I am not sure. I have tried calling the lake police and others about the rules and regs and they have had different answers and seemed uncertain of the answers they gave. Like I said many people have built blinds out of cut vegetation and put out feeders. Some of the other guys on here may have a better idea of the rules and regs.

Comment

Dude,
                            Thanks for the info. I am looking at III and IV as possibilities but I am likely to wok on I primarily as that is where my boy and I are likely to deer hunt this fall. I am ok with the idea that others may use the natural blind I build and I am thinking that deadfalls are likely to be sufficient for what I need. I hope to have some success and am looking forward to this challenge. I am going to be scouting and working beginning in a week or 2 most likely. I will likely post pics here as things progress and if any here want to use what I have put out they are welcome to. I hope to share some good stories with you guys in the near future and thank you again for your wisdom and kindness.

Comment

Hey who is all hunting the island at the buttes in the morning if you are will see ya out there maybe

Comment

Working...
                              X