draw hunts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

draw hunts

For the last 4 yrs i have for any and all that i could just for variety, but have never been drawn for anything. I know some people who have got drawn 10 yrs in a row at the same places. some one told me you will have better chances if u send slip in with more than one name is this true?

You build up preference points by applying for a category and not getting drawn. For each year you apply and do not get drawn you get 1 Ppoint. So say you apply 4 years in a row for Gun Deer Either Sex and do not get drawn, next year you will have 4 points and your name will go in the drawing 5 times. Points are based on the category NOT the specific hunt in each category. So you can change the location of the hunt in said category and still keep your points.
    Now if you have 4 points and your partner in your group that you apply with has 2 points they will put your group in 3 times. They average out your groups points. So that can bring down your odds of getting drawn also.
    The best way to assure you get a good chance of getting drawn is of coarse to apply to hunts that have a good amount of permits and not many applications. They usually aren't as "good" but they can be fun and never know when you'll get a good un on one of these hunts!
    Hope this helps...

Comment

I will tell you it pays to check if you were drawn via there automated phone system, two years ago I drew a hunt and they never mailed me info that I was picked, I had to call the office in austin and get them to send it, otherwise I would have missed the deadline to pay the entry fee.

Comment

Go for the odds. High number of permit to applicant. Also some places you can apply for several different permits in the same area. (calahan) might give you an idea of how the place is laid out for possible buck hunt there in the future. Good luck, we definately need it.

Comment

4 yrs and no draw?!? Are you putting in for the CHAP?

otherwise I would have missed the deadline to pay the entry fee.
          - I've talked to several hunt coordinators that will save a spot up until the day of for drawn hunters who haven't paid, they'll even save a spot for the entire hunt if a paid hunter doesn't show.

Comment

Working...
          X