Sam Houston

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sam Houston

Went scoutin today but didnt find anything real promising just a bunch of pines, looking for some hardwoods, anybody know of some hardwoods with good places to hunt any info would be apreciated.

Or if ya know any secret sweet spots feel free to shoot me an email

Comment

Bowbender there are alot of sweet spots in Sam Houston. Especially around the lake, where not too many hunters go. There is a spot where its bowhunting only, check it out. Pickup a topo map from the ranger station near Willis,tx

Comment

I like the Bow only areas at Sam Houston, I have had good luck there, I use a mountain bike to ride way back away from the crazies off the road before starting to look for a suitable tree to hunt from. You have to do alot of scouting but once you find them your in business.
        I believe this hunting season will be a wet one, with a dry start to the year we are liable to hit rains all thru nov and dec.

Comment

I have found no Bow only areas in SH. Can someone tell me how to find those. I have a spot picked out but I need to go scout this weekend.

Comment

There are 2 archery only areas in SHNF. I know that they are listed in the APH booklet that is provided when you purchase your public land permit. I am not certain they are published anywhere else. One of them is down near Cagle Campground (SE from campground I believe). The other is up near Hunstville State Park.

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Website

Comment

where is the ranger station in willis?

Comment

It's actually west of New Waverly on FM 1375. On the right hand side as your west bound towards the lake.

One good spot with a lot of hog sign is around Stubblefield Lake. There's a part of the lone star hiking trail at the stubblefield bridge. Good place to start scouting. Turning left at Stubblefield Road off of 1375 and going all the way until it dead ends into the lake is another good spot to start scouting. Lots of creek bottoms that run into the lake.

Comment

Sounds like a good place to start thanks Chew. Good to see you back on the green screen. This is going to be my 1st year hunting the national forest.

Comment

I have seen a couple of nice bucks at the north end of the lake while duck hunting. how you would get to some of those spots walking in I have no idea.

Comment

There are tons of folks that hunt around Stubblefield. Top every hill and you'll see a truck.

All around Lake Conroe is Bow only. There is a bunch of it too

Comment

I'm lookin to go scout some of the National Forest in the Cleveland area this Sunday the 9th anybody interested?

Comment

Originally posted by arrowsmack324 View Post
                              I'm lookin to go scout some of the National Forest in the Cleveland area this Sunday the 9th anybody interested?
                              pm sent!

Comment

Working...
                              X