Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Are Your Thoughts About “Doe Days”?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Be interesting to see how the public comment is skewed for or against regulation change. Up until now I can only remember them back peddle on proposed deer reg changes twice 2009 introducing gun season to Grayson/Dallas/Rockwell counties and last year them extending general season into middle of January in north texas same so it was uniform with south texas. In both cases there was heavy public opposition.

Comment

I hunt Lee Co., and currently can only shoot a doe during the Archery-Only season. Ridiculous. Should be all season. This proposal is at least something in the right direction.

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
        Be interesting to see how the public comment is skewed for or against regulation change. Up until now I can only remember them back peddle on proposed deer reg changes twice 2009 introducing gun season to Grayson/Dallas/Rockwell counties and last year them extending general season into middle of January in north texas same so it was uniform with south texas. In both cases there was heavy public opposition.
        Well I should back track on the public opposition to extending the north texas deer season, there was actually 91% in favor via the public comment, it was the quail hunters and interest who got that stopped last year apparently.

Comment

I will chime in. I don't like the idea after mulling over it. I remember when they did this in the 90's as well, and it did put a huge dent in our deer population. I personally think youths should be allowed to kill ONE doe during youth season.

That being said, I would be for it on my exact place, but my place has 10x the deer as a place 5 miles down the road. Point is it doesn't make sense for the whole area. Sounds like the state doesn't want to deal with MLD tags.

I personally believe that the state needs to step up and address the fragmentation of land and hunting. I would like to see something put into place where you have to have at least X amount of acres to hunt. I would LOVE to see all places get MLD tags based on acreage, but I realize this would never happen.

I know for a fact that a family a mile down the road from me killed 5 bucks during Thanksgiving weekend in 2017. They were hunting less than a 30 acre cow pasture, and I know at least one of those bucks was under 13"....

So I am strongly against it! Where can I comment online?
          Last edited by Hockley; 12-21-2018, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockley View Post
            I will chime in. I don't like the idea after mulling over it. I remember when they did this in the 90's as well, and it did put a huge dent in our deer population. I personally think youths should be allowed to kill ONE doe during youth season.

That being said, I would be for it on my exact place, but my place has 10x the deer as a place 5 miles down the road. Point is it doesn't make sense for the whole area. Sounds like the state doesn't want to deal with MLD tags.

I personally believe that the state needs to step up and address the fragmentation of land and hunting. I would like to see something put into place where you have to have at least X amount of acres to hunt. I would LOVE to see all places get MLD tags based on acreage, but I realize this would never happen.

I know for a fact that a family a mile down the road from me killed 5 bucks during Thanksgiving weekend in 2017. They were hunting less than a 30 acre cow pasture, and I know at least one of those bucks was under 13"....

So I am strongly against it! Where can I comment online?
            I thought youths were allowed to shoot antlerless in these counties during the early youth season the weekend before general season but they're not per the outdoor annual
            , the bag, tag and permit requirements are the same as for the first two days of the general
            season in the county
            As for your second part it could happen, other states landowners have to put in and draw for a set # of tag for a given county and part of it is based on the amount of acreage you own, some years you might get a tag/tags, some years you might not, the prevents the problem of someone shooting a @#*&load of deer on a 15 acre spot.

Comment

As for your second part it could happen, other states landowners have to put in and draw for a set # of tag for a given county and part of it is based on the amount of acreage you own, some years you might get a tag/tags, some years you might not, the prevents the problem of someone shooting a @#*&load of deer on a 15 acre spot.
              I really wish this would happen, but I just don't think the state wants to tackle it.

Comment

I think a doe should only be allowed to be taken before the rut.

Any post rut doe kills are potentially taking out 2-4 deer.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbo6 View Post
                  I think a doe should only be allowed to be taken before the rut.

Any post rut doe kills are potentially taking out 2-4 deer.
                  If you shoot them in october, those fawns will have never happened anyway, I don't get this way of thinking

Comment

I think you could kill a doe per day year round here in the hill country and never put a dent in the number. My daughters car, and my insurance company would appreciate it though.

Comment

If you shoot them in october, those fawns will have never happened anyway, I don't get this way of thinking
                      If the problem is there are too many does and they are not all getting bred then killing them in pre rut is beneficial.

If the problem is too many deer in general then a late season doe is better.

Comment

If the population and sex ratios have risen to the point that they are proposing a short doe season, then the area needs a doe season. Every single county that has started doe days went through the exact same argument that the small properties with thousands of hunters are going to decimate the deer population. All of them. Every singe one. Not one exception. And each time a new county proposes doe days, the exact same argument pops up. Yet for some reason, there still seems to be deer in all those counties. And the deer densities are still too high. And the sex ratios are still bad. If its to the point that everybody that simply joins a coop gets doe permits, then why not just make a short doe season so you don't have to jump through the hoops and create a bunch of paperwork? You can't do any real damage to a deer herd in 4 days. Plus, even if the hunting pressure is extreme in a few areas, the deer will learn to avoid those areas.

Comment

Originally posted by mmoses View Post
                          If the problem is there are too many does and they are not all getting bred then killing them in pre rut is beneficial.

If the problem is too many deer in general then a late season doe is better.
                          I think in general since the antler restrictions all does not getting bred is not really an issue anymore. Our area went from around a 1-10 buck doe ratio in 2008 to now we actually have more bucks than does but its much closer to a 50/50 ratio than before.

Comment

Originally posted by Deerguy View Post
                            If the population and sex ratios have risen to the point that they are proposing a short doe season, then the area needs a doe season. Every single county that has started doe days went through the exact same argument that the small properties with thousands of hunters are going to decimate the deer population. All of them. Every single one. Not one exception. And each time a new county proposes doe days, the exact same argument pops up. Yet for some reason, there still seems to be deer in all those counties. And the deer densities are still too high. And the sex ratios are still bad. If its to the point that everybody that simply joins a coop gets doe permits, then why not just make a short doe season so you don't have to jump through the hoops and create a bunch of paperwork? You can't do any real damage to a deer herd in 4 days. Plus, even if the hunting pressure is extreme in a few areas, the deer will learn to avoid those areas.
                            As for my county(Lavaca) I don't believe TPWD numbers. I am seeing less and less deer and less does.

Lavaca County issues over 3k doe tags for last season and only 1100 were used.

Comment

Why don't tpw work on the hog problem instead. I'm against it.

Comment

How many think 4 doe days during rifle season will be game over in these counties, will it really be like a 2nd season opener? I don't hunt this particular area but we did get picked for a draw hunt there in january, I can't imagine pressure thats that bad but maybe it is.

Comment

Working...
                                X