Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 04-26-2021, 10:56 PM   #1
Sleepy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Camp County, Rusk County, Smith County, Kansas
Default Vinyl Plank or Engineered Hardwood?

Getting ready to slap some new floors down. Canít decide between the two. I just canít get past the cheaper look of the vinyl plank, but maybe itís hard to see the whole picture with the 2x2 samples.
Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2021, 11:08 PM   #2
Marced
Spike

Hunt In: Mills county

I’m not a fan of the vinyl plank. Looks cheap and feels cheap. But on the bright side it is not as expensive to pull out when you want to change it.
Marced is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2021, 11:09 PM   #3
Dave W
Ten Point

Hunt In: Crystal City

Look up regal hardwood floors
Good stuff
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2021, 11:27 PM   #4
spotsanddots
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

We actually have the vinyl plank in our house. When its over the entire floor its different than looking at a strip. And its dang bear indestructible. We slide furniture to clean floors. Let dog Walk in with wet feet (lol). Only drawback so far is, they put it down directly on the cement. Its got a little cushion, but otherwise its pretty dang hard. But we like it.
spotsanddots is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-27-2021, 12:30 AM   #5
Roscoe
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coryell, Hill, Kimble, Navarro Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotsanddots View Post
We actually have the vinyl plank in our house. When its over the entire floor its different than looking at a strip. And its dang bear indestructible. We slide furniture to clean floors. Let dog Walk in with wet feet (lol). Only drawback so far is, they put it down directly on the cement. Its got a little cushion, but otherwise its pretty dang hard. But we like it.
I agree. We had it in our home in Georgetown for probably 12-15 years. Raised a couple of kids on it and had indoor dogs (one was a lab). We had it in the living room, down the hall and in both kids rooms. It survived the kiddos and pooches remarkably well. Sold the house last year with that flooring in it w/o issue. Would it be my first choice in flooring? Probably not, but if I still had a house full of kids and dogs Iíd install it again in a heartbeat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Roscoe is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-27-2021, 12:55 AM   #6
Briar Friar
Pope & Young

Vinyl plank will survive several water leaks without being torn up.
Engineered hardwood will not survive several water leaks without being torn up.

Vinyl plank will show cracks in the slab as they appear during curing and settling over 10-15 years.
Engineered hardwood will not show cracks in the slab as they appear during curing and settling over 10-15 years.

Good luck Sleepy.

Last edited by Briar Friar; 04-27-2021 at 01:01 AM. Reason: SlabCrackSpake
Briar Friar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-27-2021, 09:52 AM   #7
CamoQuest
Ten Point

Hunt In: Robertson County

We put LVP from Flooret down in our entry room as a trial. It looks the same today as it did when I installed it. We have dogs, kids, and boots tramping in and out every day, and after a quick wipe with a damp mop, it looks good as new.
CamoQuest is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-27-2021, 10:09 AM   #8
rferg84
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nolan and Fisher Counties

We love out LVP, what we chose was a high end option and not that much cheaper than engineered hardwood. We have four kids and three dogs and it's held up to their abuse for 5 years and still looks new.

I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. In fact, we will be when we build.
rferg84 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-27-2021, 10:41 AM   #9
Slabby
Four Point

SPC. Find one that is registered and embossed. That market has moved away from vinyl. If going in any wet areas, definitely stay away from real wood in wet areas.
Slabby is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-27-2021, 10:55 AM   #10
texan4ut
Ten Point

Hunt In: Where I can, Johnson Cty

Some vinyl plank better than others. I appraise a lot of high end homes with the high dollar VP and I sometimes have to take a closer look to make sure it is not wood.
texan4ut is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-27-2021, 10:59 AM   #11
MLank
Ten Point

OP, you've received good repsonses about people that have LVP in their house. I'll agree to the durability, we put in our house 6 years ago.

However, I think you're gut feeling is correct, they will look/feel "cheap". Not bad, but you will know it. I don't mind it bc we are in the beginning stages of raising 3 kids and the floors will be taking continual abuse, yet they give the house a much better look than the old carpet we replaced.

So, depending on how hard you will be on them, I'd probably go with your gut feeling, pay a little more but get the look you want.
MLank is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-27-2021, 11:08 AM   #12
hogslayer78
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Augustine

I just laid vinyl floors for my sister in her new house 2 weeks ago. It actually looks really great and feels really great. I wasn't sure before I started because it was kind of thin to me. I have laminate in my house that I put down 14 years ago and still looks new also. This is what I laid down for her. After finishing it I really like the vinyl.
Attached Images

hogslayer78 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-27-2021, 11:08 AM   #13
Gclyde12
Six Point

Hunt In: Junction, Freer

I would look at the higher end vinyl planks that have a pre-attached pad on the back. It will give you the durability of the vinyl plank but will also be much more comfortable under foot.
Gclyde12 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-27-2021, 11:11 AM   #14
hogslayer78
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Augustine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gclyde12 View Post
I would look at the higher end vinyl planks that have a pre-attached pad on the back. It will give you the durability of the vinyl plank but will also be much more comfortable under foot.
I agree with this also and put the premium stuff down for the moisture barrier. Its way thicker than normal plastic and is like extra padding.
hogslayer78 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-27-2021, 11:46 AM   #15
rferg84
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nolan and Fisher Counties

Quote:

This^^^ours had a cork type pad and its nice.
rferg84 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-27-2021, 11:55 AM   #16
1riot1ranger
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie County

I'm in the vinyl plank club. Go with the higher end stuff. I put it in my own house when built and its all I'll ever put in rental property. For all the reasons already said.
1riot1ranger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-27-2021, 12:21 PM   #17
MBV77
Ten Point

Hunt In: Clay County

Hereís my VP right after it was put down. It looks ok I guess, but I had to start wearing old man slippers because itís rough on the feet. Also if you drop a piece of firewood on it itíll dent the **** out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MBV77 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-27-2021, 12:27 PM   #18
Big Lee
Ten Point

Hunt In: Central Texas

I put VP in my rental home. Renters had it tore up in a few years. Replaced with tile and good to go since. As mentioned above the VP seems to not take abuse, kids, dogs, dropping items very well. Or that was my experience. There is a TBHer on here. I will look up his name. I believe he is around the Austin area that sells, installs flooring. He help me via messaging on advice for installation of VP in my camper.
Big Lee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-27-2021, 12:54 PM   #19
Brett A
Ten Point

Hunt In: McCulloch and Grayson

I would choose the wood. Vinyl is cold in the winter and it looks like vinyl.
Brett A is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-27-2021, 01:04 PM   #20
Heath
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cool places with Cool people

We just put down Vinyl Plank with the padding / backing upstairs and on our stair case. We are very happy with the look and the feel. We have a big lab and that was a big factor in our decision.

Last edited by Heath; 04-27-2021 at 01:07 PM.
Heath is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-27-2021, 01:10 PM   #21
OldRiverRat
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Navarro County

just had to replace all the flooring on our first floor due to damage after the freeze and we went with vinyl plank for the entire first floor except the master bath and it turned out very nice. for the price i think it's tough to beat.
OldRiverRat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-27-2021, 02:39 PM   #22
piercebronkite
Six Point

Hunt In: Texas, Colorado

Getting vinyl plank installed this week and I went with the higher end stuff. My reasons are the same that everyone posted above.
piercebronkite is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-27-2021, 04:44 PM   #23
westtexducks
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can.

We have been very happy with the lifeproof vinyl panels we have been putting in all of our houses. I hate wood floors in houses, if it gets wet it will ruin it. We have been slowly redoing the house with the lifeproof floors and it is holding up great in the guest room and in the kids room so far. And doing great in the 4 rent houses we have put it down in.
westtexducks is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-27-2021, 05:28 PM   #24
riverbowman
Ten Point

If you go LVP, be sure and check the wear layer thickness compared to others. The thicker the better.
riverbowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2021, 06:39 AM   #25
roccobbb
Nubbin' Buck

I have vinyl plank flooring throughout my new house. I've only been here for a month, so keep that in mind with my review.

If I had done the renovation on my house, I doubt I would have even considered vinyl plank, but it was here and brand new, so I wasn't going to change it at that stage. Well, so far I really love the flooring. It's attractive and feels much more comfortable and soft to my feet than hardwood or tile. I was worried about the softness with my dog, as well as moving in, moving boxes and furniture and everything around, but so far I have not noticed any scratches. For the basement we went for festfloor microcement
roccobbb is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2021, 06:53 AM   #26
tdwinklr
Ten Point

Hunt In: N. Central and N. East TX

I replaced the vinyl flooring on our entrance/mud room and our main bedroom with the VP that has the pad underneath. It looks great and holds up real well. Obviously the entrance gets a lot of traffic, the VP still looks new after several years down. Got it at Sam's Club, can't remember the name. Wish I had bought more to do two more rooms/closets.

Last edited by tdwinklr; 06-11-2021 at 06:57 AM.
tdwinklr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2021, 07:11 AM   #27
c3products20
Ten Point

We had to replace the entire wood floor in our house from a dishwasher leak. Insurance covered everything except the deductible but we still had to go through the hassle, moving furniture out/around, and move out for a week! If we would of had vinyl we wouldn't of had to replace the floor. We also have 4 boys that are constantly dropping stuff and knocking stuff over so we don't have to worry about them denting/scuffing it all up.
c3products20 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2021, 07:23 AM   #28
deerwatcher51
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Richland Springs & Washington on the Brazos

We put LVP in our new house at the ranch. We put in the higher end stuff, it was actually more expensive than wood. The casual observer cannot tell it is not wood.
deerwatcher51 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2021, 08:59 AM   #29
Big pig
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Goliad and Brown Co.

We had some VP in our old house and loved it. Put same stuff in the new house. And love the durability and not as loud or cold as tile.
We have large dogs and rocks/gravel. Not a problem.

BP
Big pig is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2021, 09:09 AM   #30
ken800
Eight Point

Hunt In: Lampasas

Quote:
This is what I did. I got something higher end that had significant variation from piece to piece with the pad pre-installed. It has fairly deep grain and texture similar to hand-scraped but not as deep. It is very comfortable to walk on and has a commercial ceramic coating on it that is really resistant to scratching. When the appraiser came to the house for our refi, they took pictures inside and he wrote on the appraisal, "Hardwood Floor", as it's really hard to tell the difference. It was about $4/square cost for the material. I laid it myself and did the entire house with no seams anywhere - even from room to room.

We have two dogs and a kid in a wheelchair. When it is raining we just throw a towel at the front door and get what we can but don't stress out over muddy paws or dirty wheelchair wheels.

Don't knock LVP until you have looked at some of the higher end stuff.
ken800 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2021, 09:11 AM   #31
Tommyh
Pope & Young

I have engineered wood on my stairs and never again. This crap chips so easily its ridiculous,
Tommyh is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2021, 09:19 AM   #32
IOWA BOW HUNTER
Ten Point

Hunt In: All over the place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy View Post
Getting ready to slap some new floors down. Canít decide between the two. I just canít get past the cheaper look of the vinyl plank, but maybe itís hard to see the whole picture with the 2x2 samples.
I went with lifeproof Vinyl in my first house two years ago. Not the cheapest stuff but I loved it, held up really well.

-Jack
IOWA BOW HUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2021, 09:22 AM   #33
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

We are headed toward vinyl plank ourselves with future labs and everything we have looked at at several friends' houses looks great.....even after several years. I helped another buddy lay his entire house last month. It had the black padding and locked in great. Like above I have had to double take when first seeing them to make sure its not wood. I like the waterproof aspect as well.

What are we calling higher ended stuff fellas? I'm seeing $3.25-$4 square foot for the stuff that is back padded.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2021, 09:23 AM   #34
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

Quote:
Originally Posted by IOWA BOW HUNTER View Post
I went with lifeproof Vinyl in my first house two years ago. Not the cheapest stuff but I loved it, held up really well.

-Jack

This is what we laid down last month at my buddy's place. Lifeproof Rigid Core. I liked it.

Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2021, 09:23 AM   #35
IOWA BOW HUNTER
Ten Point

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-11-2021, 09:32 AM   #36
IOWA BOW HUNTER
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
This is what we laid down last month at my buddy's place. Lifeproof Rigid Core. I liked it.

Ya, I was skeptical at first but it turn out really well. I have a big dog that runs around inside and the floor hasnt been beat up by him at all since I installed it two years ago. I sweep and mop it weekly and that hasnt even seemed to effect the shine on it yet. I didnt want to shell out to much money for wood floors just because it will be used as a rental in the future.

Last edited by IOWA BOW HUNTER; 06-11-2021 at 09:36 AM.
Old 06-11-2021, 09:52 AM   #37
friscopaint
Ten Point

I hate our engineered floors, water destroys them in kitchen and never again will I go with dark floors living in the country
friscopaint is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-11-2021, 10:05 AM   #38
Grndchecker
Ten Point

Hunt In: Polk County, TX

We just replaced flooring in my entire house due to freeze damage. Our bedrooms had carpet, but the rest was already vinyl plank that was 21 years old. The 21 year old flooring was indestructible to kids and dogs. We went with Ascension brand and a darker color. Did the whole house cheaper than what we could have replaced the carpet.
Grndchecker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top