No announcement yet.

Need serious advice about dieing w/o a will

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He should see a good attorney very quickly and probably lock the house up, change the locks on the house and tell the local police to keep an eye on the house, so it does not get emptied out. Possibly remove anything that someone could load up and drive off with. That or temporarily move into the house, to keep an eye on things. When my buddy died last year, his son was supposed to get 60% of his possessions. But my buddy's,s girlfriend weaseled her way into about 95% or more of his belongings. Last I heard she was trying to get that last 5% of his possessions.

Comment

Following graduation from Texas A&M University in College Station, Texas, I went on to receive my J.D. in 1998 from Texas A&M University School of Law. From seeing clients to speaking to people and groups of all ages, I love educating people about advance care planning, probate, estate planning and elder law, so that families... Read More

One of the best in the ESTATE business

Comment

Estate attorney and they can help on what is debt that will need to be paid. They contact debtors, and can end up saving him money in the long run.

If this is anywhere close to Austin area, I can recommend who I used.

Comment

Have your step son make up a will, the quicker the better.

Comment

This is where people show their true colors.

Comment

An attorney will be good. But there are a few things you can look at in the meantime to help decide direction...1) is the property listed only in the name of the father, now, since the 2nd wife passed away?
              Does the surviving son occupy the current home?
              Was there any know property(personal or real) that was purchased jointly with the 2nd wife?
              I am not an attorney but have seen a few cases.

Edit to post:

One last item for those that are reading this far. Please get a will. Your surviving family will thank you.

Comment

I second it to get a will. I had to get a guardianship for my dad and be appointed Guardian when my mom passed w/o a will and my dad ( Dementia ) had no will. After my dad died I had to get appointed Independent Administrator to probate his estate. Over 40k in lawyer fees for this and there were only two heirs. Biggest mess I have been in to date.

Comment

Originally posted by JayB View Post

Edit to post:

One last item for those that are reading this far. Please get a will. Your surviving family will thank you.
                  This. I am quite sure my brother thought he had no reason to get a will and had plenty of time here. Mom and I are his only survivors and he probably just thought, no big deal....it would go to both of us anyway.

That is true....however, there are steps that have to be taken to close an estate and a scheduled court appearance is a must. It's like living through the bad part all over again.

Having a will is the best thing you can do for family.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                    See a estate attorney asap. You don't need any more advice.
                    THIS Sir
                    Last edited by Huntingfool; 09-22-2021, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Txhunter3000 View Post
                      I second it to get a will. I had to get a guardianship for my dad and be appointed Guardian when my mom passed w/o a will and my dad ( Dementia ) had no will. After my dad died I had to get appointed Independent Administrator to probate his estate. Over 40k in lawyer fees for this and there were only two heirs. Biggest mess I have been in to date.
                      If it's not contested, why not make up a will. No one will know different.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary View Post
                        This. I am quite sure my brother thought he had no reason to get a will and had plenty of time here. Mom and I are his only survivors and he probably just thought, no big deal....it would go to both of us anyway.

That is true....however, there are steps that have to be taken to close an estate and a scheduled court appearance is a must. It's like living through the bad part all over again.

Having a will is the best thing you can do for family.
                        Nailed it - see an attorney and get a written will (AND a Power of Attorney) - it is so inexpensive and easy to do - saves a lot of stress after losing a loved one

Comment

Probate court will drag it out and cost lots money!

FYI.. I did my will in my early 40s via LegalZoom and it only cost me $99.

Also, make sure you have Payable On Death for bank accounts too if they are not in a will.

Comment

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
                            You're really jerking my chain for a reaction, right?

Comment

My brother died without a will. 5 years in probate court and over ten thousand dollar later, his kids got his assets.

Make a will.

Comment

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
                                You are a real winner

Comment

Working...
                                X