Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 10-08-2019, 02:31 PM   #301
ghostgoblin22
Banned!!!

Hunt In: Red-River County

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmac View Post
I bet if you saw 20”+ deer in 2 trips you wouldn’t be saying a thing .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
the place I previously hunted I would literally see 80-100 deer a day or even 1 sit

seeing 20 deer in two sits or scouts isn't that big of deal to me and I could careless about people knowing there is deer in a certain area, im not that stingy hunter like a lot of Texans are...im all for success from whoever it comes from in the outdoors....and they still have to find the deer, I tracked quite a bit until I found a funnel of tracks....so yah ill keep saying ive spotted deer.
ghostgoblin22 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-08-2019, 02:33 PM   #302
ghostgoblin22
Banned!!!

id say the activity is going to spike quite a bit in the next few days with the pre-rut/bachelor groups in play and the weather and cold fronts coming in!!! ill be out there Thursday evening and Friday morning
Old 10-08-2019, 02:43 PM   #303
xZachTheRipper8
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostgoblin22 View Post
id say the activity is going to spike quite a bit in the next few days with the pre-rut/bachelor groups in play and the weather and cold fronts coming in!!! ill be out there Thursday evening and Friday morning
I'll be headed back out Sunday and Monday again! It's all I think about

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
xZachTheRipper8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-08-2019, 02:45 PM   #304
ghostgoblin22
Banned!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xZachTheRipper8 View Post
I'll be headed back out Sunday and Monday again! It's all I think about

the place has some underrated views, it may not have deer just running everywhere but man I just love coming out there and soaking it in, I like it compared to the same ole same ole, same stands, same annoying doe, and same annoying neighbors....even though I miss that place and enjoyed every second of it I still really like coming out there just for the adventure
Old 10-08-2019, 02:49 PM   #305
xZachTheRipper8
Four Point

Quote:
the place has some underrated views, it may not have deer just running everywhere but man I just love coming out there and soaking it in, I like it compared to the same ole same ole, same stands, same annoying doe, and same annoying neighbors....even though I miss that place and enjoyed every second of it I still really like coming out there just for the adventure
Man I used to camp here pretty frequently. I love being up there. There is one area that is super piney and awesome. But now that im hunting it, it opened my eyes to so much more up there

Old 10-08-2019, 02:51 PM   #306
ghostgoblin22
Banned!!!

Yep I agree

Old 10-08-2019, 09:46 PM   #307
jnd1959
Ten Point

I expect they'll be up and moving with the cooler weather. I'm going to Whitney this weekend. I'll hunt LBJ in Nov Dec. I have a spot that saw good afternoon activity with a couple of good shooters late last season. Also, there are no deer on LBJ.
jnd1959 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-08-2019, 10:16 PM   #308
xZachTheRipper8
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnd1959 View Post
I expect they'll be up and moving with the cooler weather. I'm going to Whitney this weekend. I'll hunt LBJ in Nov Dec. I have a spot that saw good afternoon activity with a couple of good shooters late last season. Also, there are no deer on LBJ.
Im waiting to here back from whitney so I can start going down there!

Old 10-10-2019, 12:15 AM   #309
xZachTheRipper8
Four Point

Holy smokes I cant catch a break with shops Haha. I went with a co worker tonight so he could buy a bow from fort grard in weatherford. Randy over at fort grard wanted to look my bow over because he knew about the troubles I had with cinnamon creek and he doesnt like the shop that ended up "fixing" my bow after all. Come to find out it was out of time, my rest wasnt adjusted right, my peep sight wasnt at the right height and also wasnt tied in. It was a cluster! Luckily I had enough time afterwards to sight it back in.

Old 10-10-2019, 10:57 AM   #310
jnd1959
Ten Point

Zach,

I was shooting at Ft Grard last night. The short, fat old guy. I think you were shooting at the block target first, right?

Randy does a good job and, regardless of what he tells you, he is still uglier than me.
Old 10-10-2019, 11:15 AM   #311
xZachTheRipper8
Four Point

Quote:
Zach,

I was shooting at Ft Grard last night. The short, fat old guy. I think you were shooting at the block target first, right?

Randy does a good job and, regardless of what he tells you, he is still uglier than me.
I was there about 7ish. I was the tall skinny guy in the freedom powersports shirt and hat. I think my buddy might have been shooting the block target.

Old 10-10-2019, 01:49 PM   #312
troy_w_7
Eight Point

Hunt In: North TX Public Land

I'll be driving up tomorrow afternoon after a meeting, hope to get my first evening sit in of the year! Hope this cold front has deer on their feet !
troy_w_7 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-11-2019, 12:24 PM   #313
ghostgoblin22
Banned!!!

I camped out there last night, hunted Thursday evening and Friday morning...saw a lot of action, I had to leave earlier than expected though due to work.....
Old 10-12-2019, 08:44 AM   #314
troy_w_7
Eight Point

Not a good picture but got a doe down yesterday evening. Was from the same tree I shot my doe out of last year. Got out of work about 2 pm, drove up, setup about 4 pm, deer started moving right at 6 pm. Doe walked past me headed to acorns once but no shot. Came back by at 30 yards. Double lung, ran about 80 yards and took a dive down a deep ravine. It took an act of God to drag her out of there...

I sprained my wrist about 2 months ago and aggravated it again last night trying to haul her up. I camped out last night and planned to hunt this morning but I can hard hold my arm up. Hopefully I can rest it and be back out there next weekend.

The cold front definitely had the deer on their feet. Saw 2 other does out of range, saw lots of deer crossing roads and in bar ditch as I was driving back home this morning.
Attached Images

Old 10-12-2019, 08:48 AM   #315
xZachTheRipper8
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy_w_7 View Post
Not a good picture but got a doe down yesterday evening. Was from the same tree I shot my doe out of last year. Got out of work about 2 pm, drove up, setup about 4 pm, deer started moving right at 6 pm. Doe walked past me headed to acorns once but no shot. Came back by at 30 yards. Double lung, ran about 80 yards and took a dive down a deep ravine. It took an act of God to drag her out of there...

I sprained my wrist about 2 months ago and aggravated it again last night trying to haul her up. I camped out last night and planned to hunt this morning but I can hard hold my arm up. Hopefully I can rest it and be back out there next weekend.

The cold front definitely had the deer on their feet. Saw 2 other does out of range, saw lots of deer crossing roads and in bar ditch as I was driving back home this morning.
Congrats bud! I'm headed out tonight after work! Need to get you a deer drag lol I bought one to make life easy!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Old 10-12-2019, 08:59 AM   #316
troy_w_7
Eight Point

That ravine was steep man, I don't think much would have made it easier other than another human. I do have a deer cart and it definitely helps on flatter ground!
Old 10-12-2019, 12:04 PM   #317
ghostgoblin22
Banned!!!

I saw someone had a blind setup 5 yards off the road the other day lol, I mean some people are ridiculous

Old 10-12-2019, 05:35 PM   #318
Bigfoot92
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: The United States of America

Congratulations on the deer!
Bigfoot92 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2019, 08:14 PM   #319
jnd1959
Ten Point

Congrats on the doe. I'm too old to be dragging deer around. I would've had to quarter her and pack out the parts. Glad you were able to get her out and hope you heal fast.

If not, I'm willing to hunt your spot so it doesn't get cold. I try to do my part and give back when I can ')
Old 10-13-2019, 08:40 AM   #320
troy_w_7
Eight Point

Quote:
Congrats on the doe. I'm too old to be dragging deer around. I would've had to quarter her and pack out the parts. Glad you were able to get her out and hope you heal fast.

If not, I'm willing to hunt your spot so it doesn't get cold. I try to do my part and give back when I can ')
Looking back, quartering is what I should have done and what I'll do next time, if I'm ever in the same situation.
Old 10-13-2019, 08:51 AM   #321
xZachTheRipper8
Four Point

Out this morning testing my luck!

Old 10-13-2019, 09:31 AM   #322
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kick CoViD's tail!

Congrats on the doe Troy.

Quartering was one of the reasons I bought my first freighter frame-pack (when I was a young man and before game carts were thought about). And I kept it handy in my vehicle. Used my day pack to hunt with though. If you get one, make sure the frame fits your body. They come in different sizes despite all the adjustments one may have.
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2019, 01:17 PM   #323
jnd1959
Ten Point

Young'un and I tried to drag a hog out of big lake bottoms this year. Mind you, he's six 0 and about 225. We got exactly 15 yards. Ended up quartering it. I had thought we would hang it at the check-in and cut it up there so I only brought one knife and no sharpener. Learned a lesson. He chastised me for leaving a hind quarter in the field. I got to say I deserved it and was pretty proud of him. Either that hog was heavier than he looked or we're just wimps.
Old 10-13-2019, 01:18 PM   #324
jnd1959
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by xZachTheRipper8 View Post
Out this morning testing my luck!

Did you see anything?
Old 10-13-2019, 01:22 PM   #325
xZachTheRipper8
Four Point

Quote:
Did you see anything?
Maaaan, I had a spike sneak in and walk right by me

Old 10-17-2019, 01:27 PM   #326
drycreek
Four Point

Hunt In: LBJ Grasslands, Sam Houston NF, Warren

Quote:
I saw someone had a blind setup 5 yards off the road the other day lol, I mean some people are ridiculous

I don't know man. I have a spot at LBJ that is literally 20 yards off the road and about 100 yards from the parking lot. I can see my white truck when I'm in the tree.

I've seen more deer from that spot than any other on LBJ.

I've seen does move through within 10 minutes of another hunter slamming his truck door and walking in.

It's crazy.

I've got a camera on the spot and got at least 6 different bucks on that thing at different times of the day back in '17.

You just never know.
drycreek is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2019, 01:28 PM   #327
drycreek
Four Point

Quote:

Nice job man. That must have been a battle!
Old 10-17-2019, 01:33 PM   #328
ghostgoblin22
Banned!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drycreek View Post
I don't know man. I have a spot at LBJ that is literally 20 yards off the road and about 100 yards from the parking lot. I can see my white truck when I'm in the tree.

I've seen more deer from that spot than any other on LBJ.

I've seen does move through within 10 minutes of another hunter slamming his truck door and walking in.

It's crazy.

I've got a camera on the spot and got at least 6 different bucks on that thing at different times of the day back in '17.

You just never know.
I understand that, im talking about around the middle of the area and it was right beside the one road that goes up by the open area that has that ridge view, the person parked nearly on the road and had the blind 10 feet from it basically saying HEY LOOK AT ME....zero stealth and you could see the blind from 10 miles out lol...most of the trails have hot spots but this person nearly blocked the road and had the blind literally right off the road inside the park...
Old 10-17-2019, 01:36 PM   #329
drycreek
Four Point

Quote:
I understand that, im talking about around the middle of the area and it was right beside the one road that goes up by the open area that has that ridge view, the person parked nearly on the road and had the blind 10 feet from it basically saying HEY LOOK AT ME....zero stealth and you could see the blind from 10 miles out lol...most of the trails have hot spots but this person nearly blocked the road and had the blind literally right off the road inside the park...

Mustavbeen subterfuge. Or just a moron.

Old 10-17-2019, 01:46 PM   #330
drycreek
Four Point

Can we post video links on here from our iPhone's camera roll or just pictures?
Old 10-17-2019, 04:12 PM   #331
troy_w_7
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by drycreek View Post
Can we post video links on here from our iPhone's camera roll or just pictures?
If you click ' go advanced' at the bottom and then click the attachment link, I think you can upload videos from there.
Old 10-20-2019, 01:54 PM   #332
troy_w_7
Eight Point

How's it looking out there this weekend? I wasn't able to make it out because we've got my 1 year old nephew this weekend. So with a 4 year old, 1 year old and 2 month old, wife wouldn't let me get out. haha But I'll be out next Saturday and then taking off days the next 2 weeks as well! Hopefully weather stays cool!
Old 10-20-2019, 06:38 PM   #333
Boldent2012
Four Point

Hunt In: Wise/Jack County

I saw a NICE buck about 40 yards away last Monday. He walked along a tree/brush line and never could get a shot off unfortunately. I'll be out there tomorrow morning.
Boldent2012 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-22-2019, 03:07 PM   #334
xZachTheRipper8
Four Point

Well I spent this past weekend down at Lake Whitney. Found a few spots that I liked but overall wasnt that impressed with how my set up is for this year. I may have been looking in the wrong place but I couldnt really find anywhere for my tree stand. With that being said, I will be back in LBJ this weekend. I took all of next week off so I could hunt the last week of archery and focus on tagging a doe. I will have a base camp set up from sunday until Friday or Saturday. If anyone is going to be out there, you are more than welcome to set up with me at camp. I havent really decided on a spot yet but I have a few ideas in mind.
Old 10-25-2019, 02:12 PM   #335
troy_w_7
Eight Point

Just sitting here at work, on google maps, figuring out where I'm gunna hunt in the morning. Not getting any work done...
Old 10-26-2019, 10:28 AM   #336
xZachTheRipper8
Four Point

Quote:
Just sitting here at work, on google maps, figuring out where I'm gunna hunt in the morning. Not getting any work done...
Thats been me, every day since opening day its been real bad this week because today is my last day of work for a week!
Old 10-26-2019, 07:48 PM   #337
jnd1959
Ten Point

I have that same illness. Trouble is, when I don't work sooner or later we don't eat. But like the rut, eatin' ain't takin up a lot of space in my mind.
Old 10-26-2019, 10:46 PM   #338
Froggy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise/Montague/Public land

There were two very nice bucks killed on the LBJ today. One was a nice big chocolate horned mature 10 point. The other was another mature 10 pt with a 6-8 inch drop tine on the right side.

They are beginning to chase here in Wise County. I'm starting to see dead deer on the side of the road.
Froggy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2019, 09:52 AM   #339
Froggy
Pope & Young

Another mature crab claw 8 pt. was killed yesterday evening. There have been some really nice bucks killed in the last few days.

If you'd like to see the pictures, join this FB page. Be sure and answer the three simple questions. Just add TBH to a response and I'll approve you. Be sure and read the page rules before posting.

LBJ Grasslands Deer Hunters Group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1763066240400624/
Old 10-27-2019, 01:38 PM   #340
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggy View Post
Another mature crab claw 8 pt. was killed yesterday evening. There have been some really nice bucks killed in the last few days.

If you'd like to see the pictures, join this FB page. Be sure and answer the three simple questions. Just add TBH to a response and I'll approve you. Be sure and read the page rules before posting.

I have issues with rules 3, 4, and 6. I need them changed so I can join. Who do I talk to about these @#!#$#@!% rules?

Love ya Froggy!
Old 10-27-2019, 05:31 PM   #341
xZachTheRipper8
Four Point

Quote:

I am on there already. Seeing this deer got me so pumped up! Currently in my stand now!

Old 10-27-2019, 09:00 PM   #342
xZachTheRipper8
Four Point

If anyone is in the area and wants to meet up! Ill be in this camp spot until friday or Saturday!

Old 10-27-2019, 09:08 PM   #343
jnd1959
Ten Point

I ran that through a database of 5.5 million deer pictures and that buck resembles one shot in Wisconsin in 1963. I new this was a conspiracy. The truth is out there. There are no deer on LBJ.

I've said that so much it now comes up automatically on my keyboard.
Old 10-28-2019, 10:47 AM   #344
Froggy
Pope & Young

[QUOTE=Texas Grown;14465125]I have issues with rules 3, 4, and 6. I need them changed so I can join. Who do I talk to about these @#!#$#@!% rules?

You need to take that up with the GOF that is an admin on that page. I heard he's an old hard ***** s-o-b with little patience for knuckleheads.
Old 10-28-2019, 12:58 PM   #345
Lumberjack15
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: NC Texas/SE Oklahoma

I was out this past Saturday morning for the second time this season. Splitting time between here and Oklahoma so haven't been out a whole lot.

Anyone on here drive an old GMC single cab pickup? A guy pulled up next to me while I was sitting in my car on Saturday morning at a unit getting my things together. He stayed for a few minutes then sped off. When I got out and started walking he pulled back up and watched me for a minute and then sped off again. I could hear him going up and down the road and when I was walking back to my car he drove by again and laid on the horn for about a quarter mile. Just seemed odd so figured I would ask here. Probably just a local guy though.

Other than that I saw a nice buck and plenty of sign. I have one or two moving through regularly but the pictures are god awful. I can't tell if this is the same buck or different ones, and if any of the pics look like he would be legal.
Attached Images

Lumberjack15 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-28-2019, 03:58 PM   #346
jnd1959
Ten Point

At first I thought the tree was shaking but the weeds look clear. I decided this deer must have Parkinson's.
Old 10-28-2019, 03:59 PM   #347
jnd1959
Ten Point

Or the deer is in witness protection.
Old 10-28-2019, 04:49 PM   #348
Lumberjack15
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: NC Texas/SE Oklahoma

All of my other pics were crystal clear. Literally only the bucks were all a blur. Must be a buck conspiracy or something.
Lumberjack15 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-28-2019, 07:52 PM   #349
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Quote:
You need to take that up with the GOF that is an admin on that page. I heard he's an old hard ***** s-o-b with little patience for knuckleheads.

I know nothing about knuckleheads.
<-------<<
Old 10-28-2019, 09:00 PM   #350
jnd1959
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumberjack15 View Post
All of my other pics were crystal clear. Literally only the bucks were all a blur. Must be a buck conspiracy or something.
Now I've put it together. Raccoons have cooked up another gimmick. They've handed out blurry buck headgear to some of the does in the area and sent them around to get photographed on the cameras. Not sure what there up to but with raccoons you should always expect me worst. I can't figure out their goal. Is it reverse logic to keep deer away from the private feeders? An effort to put more pressure on bucks? I just can't tell, but knowing the source it's not an altruistic move.