Dog chewing remedies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dog chewing remedies

My dog has started chewing our post on our front porch, i haven’t got to catch her doing it as she only does it when I leave for several days. My wife says she mopes around for days and doesn’t eat either. Any tricks or fixes?

Never have had a post problem, but we have had trash can lids and water hose chewing issues. I've tied a trashcan lid to the dog's collar overnight and tied a water hose to it overnight as well, on separate occasions of course. After having to drag both around for several hours the dog seemed to lose interest in chewing them.

Comment

Put cayenne on whatever she is chewing. Sounds like she is bored while you are gone for a few days. My dogs love chewing on antlers, They make toys that you can put dog food into that slowly comes out as they play with it.

Comment

I understand the OP's situation, as my German Shepard is 1 1/2 and good golly miss molly he chews up everything, the wood post on his dog has the wood trim on the dog house, when he had the whole acre to run , he chewed up my cord to the gate opener, i will follow this an perhaps get some ideas as well

Comment

Pepper

Originally posted by drop dead fred View Post
          My dog has started chewing our post on our front porch, i haven’t got to catch her doing it as she only does it when I leave for several days. My wife says she mopes around for days and doesn’t eat either. Any tricks or fixes?
          Tobasco problem over.

Comment

Originally posted by JFFB View Post
            Tobasco problem over.
            My shepard was chewing the posts on my patio cover. I poured a whole bottle of Tobasco on each post. The durn dog licked every bit of it off. He loved it! I finally threw a piece of 2x4 out in the yard for him to chew on and that held him until he got out of the chewing stage.

Comment

Had this problem indoors with plants, mud room bench, even chew marks on a flat wall. Citronella oil would be a good solution for you on an outdoor post. It worked on our indoor plants but killed one plant lol. Ultimately I had to catch her in the act and lit her up with the e collar. That along with leaving plenty of sheds and bones around for her has pretty much stopped the unwanted chewing.

She has big time separation anxiety when I leave according to my wife. I've found that I need to take her to the dog park or just have extended fetch sessions to totally exhaust her before I go anywhere. When I do that, she's a model citizen.
              Last edited by TexaRican; 06-07-2021, 12:39 PM.

Comment

Sounds like anxiety separation.

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!

Comment

Exercise and interaction with you or your wife will help. It is just energy, boredom and anxiety. Exercise her in the morning for 15-30 mins and then again in the evening if you have time. Treadmills work wonders too! They learn how to run on them easy. The e collar, pepper and punishment will work or not but not nearly as effective as a tired pooch.

Comment

The only way to keep a dog from chewing on something you don't want him to chew on is to not allow the dog to have access to whatever you don't want him to chew on.

Comment

Have you tried humping him till he pees? I'm surprised no one's already mentioned that.

Comment

Carolina reapers

Comment

i see people have tried hot stuff above. My dog decided he liked to pull the irrigation valve box covers off and chew them... and pull the wires out. I poured habanero sauce all over one, which he promptly licked up then came over and licked the bottle wanting more. I couldn't believe it.

Comment

Healthy supply of chews

Comment

Hump it till it pees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X