No announcement yet.

Colorado Elk Archery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Make sure you invest in some good boots. A bad pair of boots will quickly end an awesome hunt, hike, etc. Schnee's and Kenetrek come highly recommended. They're expensive but well worth the money.

Comment

Originally posted by GBludau View Post
      Congrats fellas. I have no clue where to begin. My thoughts are everywhere about it. Ultra light gear, packs, necessities, camping equipment, calls, fitness etc. I've been on a stair stepper everyday with a weighted pack 25/35lbs and it's been an eye opener!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
      Good luck with the training, and then with the elk hunt.

Comment

Thanks for all encouragement and advice. I am slowly gathering items and steadily training, starting to see some improvements in cardio.

I can keep this thread well alive if there's enough interest. I feel confident in all draw hunts in Texas but my first time to hunt elk, and first time ever setting foot in Colorado besides the airport....well that's a whole other world of woodsman/sportsman/hunt skill for me to adapt, obtain and hopefully achieve.

Comment

Originally posted by F1addict View Post
          Already making plans for next September (2022). Will be my first Elk hunt.

Following.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
          Very cool! I just applied and could not believe I got a tag along with my cousin on my card and a solid hunting buddy and his FIL, all in the same unit. Its time to cram!

Comment

Originally posted by TOTW View Post
            Wishing you the best of luck!!
            Thanks man! I LIKE LUCK!

Comment

You’ll probably kill one on your first trip. Killers kill.

Comment

Originally posted by warrenm0624 View Post
                You’ll probably kill one on your first trip. Killers kill.
                Ha! I sure would like that!

Although, I do feel very novice and bit lost at the moment. Perhaps, once I get there, I'll have a better sense of things and (hopefully) be able to go full blitz and commit to making it happen.

Comment

My neighbor got an Colorado Elk his first trip 7 years ago. Year two scored a bear. Beginners luck. Nada since but he is hooked.

Comment

I lived up there for 3 years and was use to the altitude after the first year. Work out got ready. It never helps. Make sure to take a whole bunch of water and oxygen.

Comment

In addition to the stair stepper, I've always trained by hiking uneven ground with weight. By uneven, I mean rocky, rooty and hilly. This builds your core up. You will spend more energy balancing than you will walking. I've climbed, hiked and hunted in western and southwester Co. Mostly in the Weminuche.

It takes me about 3 or 4 days anymore to acclimate. Last time I climbed a 14er was a 20 mile in and out. I took diamox with me to hasten the acclimation. Altitude sickness isn't a function of shape or health level. It is your bodies ability to process oxygen and expel carbon dioxide. Many people in good shape suffer the effects. Some in not so good shape don't seem to be affected at all. But being in shape can help overcome the effects.

Hunt high, sleep low.

PM me the unit if you want and I will see if I know anything about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnwayn34 View Post
                        I lived up there for 3 years and was use to the altitude after the first year. Work out got ready. It never helps. Make sure to take a whole bunch of water and oxygen.
                        I anticipate struggling with the altitude, probably nothing I can do for that. I am just focused on getting cardio and strength training. Still need to put together some time of water filtration and pump system together. Flatlander on youtube has a pretty cool set up that I may try to rig up.

Comment

Originally posted by jnd1959 View Post
                          In addition to the stair stepper, I've always trained by hiking uneven ground with weight. By uneven, I mean rocky, rooty and hilly. This builds your core up. You will spend more energy balancing than you will walking. I've climbed, hiked and hunted in western and southwester Co. Mostly in the Weminuche.

It takes me about 3 or 4 days anymore to acclimate. Last time I climbed a 14er was a 20 mile in and out. I took diamox with me to hasten the acclimation. Altitude sickness isn't a function of shape or health level. It is your bodies ability to process oxygen and expel carbon dioxide. Many people in good shape suffer the effects. Some in not so good shape don't seem to be affected at all. But being in shape can help overcome the effects.

Hunt high, sleep low.

PM me the unit if you want and I will see if I know anything about it.
                          Thanks for that intel. I have never heard of diamox and will look into it.

As of now, a friend that is hunting the same unit got us hooked up with "primitive" cabins in the middle of the unit. Bunks, electric, an out house but no running water. I'm assuming that'll be a base for the first few nights until I get the ball rolling.

Comment

IF anyone has any back country gear for sale, let me know. I am not opposed to buying used gear, I prefer to buy gear from other hunters instead of big box stores or online sometimes. Helps others out, learn from their experience and make my own judgement on it and figure out what I dislike and prefer before buying new lifetime gear.

Currently looking for back country frame packs, sleep systems, water systems etc. Following Flatlanders channel on youtube has been very educational and informative.

Comment

Climbing is definitely tough but the biggest surprise for me was descending. If you haven’t been doing squats ahead of time your knees will kill you going down. I just do air squats and haven’t had a problem since my first year.

Comment

Originally posted by Eat’em Up View Post
                                Climbing is definitely tough but the biggest surprise for me was descending. If you haven’t been doing squats ahead of time your knees will kill you going down. I just do air squats and haven’t had a problem since my first year.
                                That's something I've heard of just recently. I think I'm going to get an old regular tire to weight down with weights, rop and and a Fall harness, start walking backwards pulling As an imitation to something of that nature.

Good point, and thanks for sharing.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X