Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who has poured their own slab for a shop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who has poured their own slab for a shop?

Getting ready to start process of building a shop out here. Was thinking of pouring my own slab for it. Or is it worth hiring someone? Wanting to save cash and I don’t mind putting in the work.

Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk

I did and will never do it again. It is worth way more to have someone else do it.

Comment

What size slab? Hope you have several solid hard working buddies that would know what they are doing to help you. I have quite a bit of crete experience and the most I can handle alone is 4.5-5 yards.

Comment

we did our 30x40 shop floor but poured in halves, wished we had poured as one piece but didn't have equip. to finish it out. Still, it wasn't too bad.

Comment

Originally posted by GoneSouth View Post
          What size slab? Hope you have several solid hard working buddies that would know what they are doing to help you. I have quite a bit of crete experience and the most I can handle alone is 4.5-5 yards.

Was thinking 20x30

Comment

I’ve poured several slabs for my parents, and I’ll NEVER pour a slab for myself. The last slab my parents had poured I offered to pay for it myself, since I wasn’t willing to do the work anymore. I still handle all their building needs, just not the concrete anymore.

Comment

I have but I was much younger and poorer.

Comment

Originally posted by robbyreneeward View Post
                Was thinking 20x30

That doesnt sound bad at all. On ours it was around 80x100. Only problem was there was no electricity on site and we had to haul in fill dirt with scrapers to raise the area up for the slab. We dug footings around the perimeter for the slab. Made it harder to put forms up of course. Ours wasn’t an easy job at all.

Comment

Originally posted by twosixteens View Post
                  I have but I was much younger and poorer.

This. You couldn’t pay me to work concrete anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Man, I can do a lot of stuff myself, including concrete, but I’d do a lot of other stuff myself before I did concrete.

Think about the consequences of screwing it up before you get to far down that road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You can save money by getting a labor only quote.
                      You provide the steel, and pay for the concrete.

I've only done concrete a few times, on relatively small pours.
                      Unless my life depends on it, I'll never do it again.

Comment

Better have plenty of help. Strong help. If you are going to do this anytime soon it doesn't take long before it will start setting up in this heat.

Comment

I will form, and do rebar etc but I will never again pour concrete!

Comment

Poured concrete for a living for 12 years.. I dont even own a shovel anymore..

Comment

Wow that bad huh? Was just trying to save some cash lol. Maybe I’ll just do the dirt work, set forms, rebar, etc, and hire a company to pour and set slab. Better idea?

Comment

Working...
                              X