Top water fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Top water fishing

what y’all top water set up? The bass are tearing up the water this evening in the pond & I grab a rod, academy’s xpress h2o tac40 reel with 17lb mono with a cheap Garcia rod(blue max). Well I can’t get the sticks baits to run right. They just want walk correctly. Want to know what to look for tomorrow as I’m gonna get me something. I don’t care for this rod at all. I’ll put it up for a catfish rig.

I have fished a black Hula Popper for over 50 years and I use them all year and have caught fish. Love my H Pops!!!!

Comment

Poop or frog.

Comment

Chug bug

Comment

Your reel is fine, your line is too heavy. All you need is 10 lb test for bass, also your rod is too stiff.... no pun intended.... you need a medium light or light rod on topwater to get the desired action you're looking for.

Comment

All my set ups are the same, medium light, 20# braid. Don’t do much bass fishing but I’ve always had good luck with a Rebel Pop R.

Comment

Thanks guys I thought about the line being to heavy & the rod is a medium heavy rod. I’m gonna go get a rod tomorrow. Never caught one on the top but switch over to a square bill. Drug in a 4 pounder on the second cast. This is the biggest fish we’ve caught so far out of our ponds & we’ve been here since 2011. I’m just glad I wasn’t fishing my ultra light setup, which is what usually use cause most of the time we catch 1.5-2 pounders. Been trying to post picture but it just want happen.

Comment

Medium heavy is perfect for fresh water plastics such as worms or for jigging...

Comment

I would learn to tie a loop knot to the lure. That is the great equalizer for topwater action and it works even with heavy saltwater leaders in the 30-40 lb class. Look up videos on the Rapala knot or Kreh’s loop knot. They are easy to tie. I like medium or medium light action rods for most topwaters. Easier to work with some action in the rod and some give in the rod helps you stay hooked up.

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
                    Your reel is fine, your line is too heavy. All you need is 10 lb test for bass, also your rod is too stiff.... no pun intended.... you need a medium light or light rod on topwater to get the desired action you're looking for.

This...… My fave top water, is a Tiny Torpedo.....

Comment

Poppin frog and hang on

Comment

Originally posted by sailor View Post
                        This...… My fave top water, is a Tiny Torpedo.....
                        X2

Comment

whopper floppers is my new go to top water they work really good even when there a pretty good chop on the water

Comment

Top water fishing

I really like frogs for top Water. Pop n r is good bait. Tiny torpedo are also a good bait. Hula popper, jitter bug, or sluggish in white with glitter My go to bait is a 1/4 rattle trap or a white zoom worm no weight or a Zara grossa jr
                            Last edited by buzzbait; 07-25-2019, 09:27 PM.

Comment

Lucky Craft Sammy and swap out the rear treble for one with a white feather. I like mono for topwater because it floats. Lots of good videos on youtube to help you "walk it".

Comment

Working...
                              X