Getting rid of bees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting rid of bees

A buddy and I got lit up by a few bees last weekend setting up a tripod… I plan on going back this weekend to try and find the source.

Do I just cover myself up and head in spraying? Not sure where the hive is and need them gone! What has worked for y’all in the past?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You really need to find out what kind of bees your dealing with if its honey bees they can be removed safely with having to kill them as far as the other bees if they are wasp just kill them

Comment

Bees don’t fly at night ( or are very inactive) Get that spray that shoots out 20 ft with some running shoes just in case.

That’s my experience. Safe hunting

JJ

Comment

Some people will move them for free if they are not africanized, honey bees are in short supply and disappearing, shame to kill them

Comment

If I had to guess I’d say they’re Africanized. They followed us for a 200 yards and wouldn’t let up. We were lucky this wasn’t a huge hive.

Comment

Some people also want moved to smaller properties because you can use them as Ag expemtion.

Comment

7-dust, find the hive and dust it , I have a long piece of 1/2 pvc pipe, hooked up to a ball valve and air compressor, fill pipe .25 .5 full and snake it in to the source and blow in the dust from a distance
              Sometimes I wear a bug net over my head and long sleeve, gloves, just in case
              Bee’s will track in the 7dust killing the hive
              Bug fogger set out side the hole they are in will get em or wasps hornets spray from a distance in to the hole
              Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 09-16-2021, 07:32 AM.

Comment

Go sit before daylight and you will see the source- Come back at night- 7 dust- soap water- whatever. They are easy to kill and dont fly at night

Comment

Originally posted by SC-001 View Post
                  Some people will move them for free if they are not africanized, honey bees are in short supply and disappearing, shame to kill them
                  Just go get more from Europe where they are actually from

Comment

The absolute first thing you need to do is identify exactly what you are dealing with...

What you are describing sounds a lot like yellow jackets. When they stung you, did they leave their "stinger" sticking in you? If so, they were honey bees. If not, probably yellow jackets... They are about bee size but brown/yellow stripes... very aggressive and can sting multiple times... The easiest way to kill yellow jackets is to find their underground nest exit, wait til dark and just dump a cup of gasoline down the hole. They'll never even come out of the ground... same with bumble bees... This will NOT work for honey bees. You'll need a pyrethrin powder or spray (like sevin-dust) The long distant wasp/hornet sprays will not effectively kill honey bees either. If it is honey bees, warm soapy water will kill them instantly if you can get it on them.

Comment

Could be Sweat Bees. We had a huge hive that took over an old camper at our lease. When we went to move it, here they came! Chased us all over. I had been on the tractor all day and I was the sweatiest. I got popped 17 times.
                      The only way we got rid of them was to move it the next morning while it was still a little cool and dark. They don't have a lot of fight in them then. Hauled that trailer to the big burn pit. Lit it up and lit out of there

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                        The absolute first thing you need to do is identify exactly what you are dealing with...

What you are describing sounds a lot like yellow jackets. When they stung you, did they leave their "stinger" sticking in you? If so, they were honey bees. If not, probably yellow jackets... They are about bee size but brown/yellow stripes... very aggressive and can sting multiple times... The easiest way to kill yellow jackets is to find their underground nest exit, wait til dark and just dump a cup of gasoline down the hole. They'll never even come out of the ground... same with bumble bees... This will NOT work for honey bees. You'll need a pyrethrin powder or spray (like sevin-dust) The long distant wasp/hornet sprays will not effectively kill honey bees either. If it is honey bees, warm soapy water will kill them instantly if you can get it on them.

These are definitely bees. Wasn’t a huge swarm but my buddy and I got popped about 5 times each.

Comment

A true yellow jacket is a bee shaped insect. I'm not talking about those guinea wasp or paper wasps. They build underground or in old hollow logs and such.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                            A true yellow jacket is a bee shaped insect. I'm not talking about those guinea wasp or paper wasps. They build underground or in old hollow logs and such.
                            Yeah , yellow jackets hornet definitely make under ground nest
                            Unfortunately I have personal experience with this
                            Bee’s usually in old tree hollow , deer blinds , house sideing, attic

Comment

Working...
                            X