Who's shot dove with a bow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My buddy is on a quest to shoot a dove out of the air with a bow. What's the best way to go about it? Obviously one flying full blast is harder than maybe sitting out decoys so they're slowing down to sit down amongst the decoys. I've never done it myself but I think that'd be the best way. What do y'all think?

I can't even go 15 for 15 with a shotgun so I ain't gonna try it but I'd like to see him get one or three.

Tim Wells

Find a target rich environment.
    Set up for the most high percentage shot.
    Flu flus and a bird Loop head.

Comment

That would be a question for the SLOCK MASTER Mr. Tim Wells

Comment

Good luck he’s a lot better shot than myself to even think he can do it. There are videos of Tim doing this.

Comment

Shot one sitting on the ground last year
          Killed one flying with a rock in 1989

Comment

I have six total over the last ten years or so. I use my short bow that is in the longbow category with flu flus and three to four wire snarls on the business end. My favorite setup was a really deep pond that only had a small amount of water. Sitting on the slope behind a big boulder, standing at the right time for the dove to go O S__T and Swack. Run to retrieve, take a pic, and get the shotgun because your freaking tired of chasing arrows. All six of my dove were my first dove of the year. Good luck

Comment

I got a snow goose with a bow on my place in N.D. about 20 years ago

Comment

They make a wire bird points and flu flu feathers for this. To me using a recurve would make it easier for quick shots, I’ve tried but never any luck out of the air only on the ground.

Comment

I have tried it with my longbow. Flu-flus with snaros over Mojos at 12 yards. Fun but I’m 0 for probably 15. They seem to have no problem dodging an arrow at the last nano second.

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
                    They make a wire bird points and flu flu feathers for this. To me using a recurve would make it easier for quick shots, I’ve tried but never any luck out of the air only on the ground.
                    Same

Comment

I've shot one at the pond drinking, but never out of air. I used a wire judo point. Tried for a duck one year as well, but missed and lost an arrow in the pond.

Comment

I've shot AT doves with my longbow. Never hit one. Did hit a clay bird once.

Comment

I knew a guy that would run a long wire through a loop on a snaro head and stretch it across a pond. One end was staked, and the other to his blind. He would let a few land on the wire and take them out in one shot.

Only flying bird I ever shot was a duck...stalking a shallow creek and shot it as it was flying directly away.

Comment

I shot one off a power line. Just to show off for my son who said there was now way I could do it. When it hit the ground you would have thought I had killed an elephant. He thought I was the greatest shot that ever lived.
                            Last edited by Robert; 09-06-2021, 10:14 AM.

Comment

Keep us posted with pics or video. Heck of a feat if executed. Lots of exercise chasing arrows win or lose. Lol

Comment

Working...
                              X