Processing Your Own Meat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Processing Your Own Meat

Looking to find videos or info on learning to do my own. What tips / tricks & tools do I need?

Thanks

YouTube is a good resource

Comment

Originally posted by 3rdCoastHunter View Post
      Thats a x-2

Comment

Tagged for this. I've always wanted to try to process myself.

Comment

Originally posted by 3rdCoastHunter View Post
          Yep. Bearded Butchers had a good vid on processing a deer...

Comment

Like was said YouTube has lots of good videos. I have been doing my own the the few years.

Comment

I use just a knife. All boneless when done.

Comment

Bearded butchers has probably the best and easy to follow along.

Of course when your just deboning to grind it up. You don’t need to muscle it out or take your time. End goal is just to get the bone and gland out

Comment

Originally posted by kd350 View Post
                  Bearded butchers has probably the best and easy to follow along.

Of course when your just deboning to grind it up. You don’t need to muscle it out or take your time. End goal is just to get the bone and gland out

https://youtu.be/T7nas-08tvY
                  X2 on bearded butchers. That’s what I was watching and still watch just to keep
                  Learning

Comment

Bearded butchers is awesome! They make me want to move where the humidity is low so I can do some of the stuff they do!!

Comment

Looking to just cut it up and package it for freezing or grind and turn into sausage and what not? If you’re going to grind, spend the extra couple hundred and buy a quality grinder from the start. LEM/cabelas commercial is quality enough; classifieds is a good source.

Ultimately a knife is all you need. It ain’t rocket science. You won’t have professional results your first deer. Follow basic cleanliness rules us non-heathens understand and you won’t get sick. There’s probably a cost savings DIY, especially if you’re smoking stuff, but the process of processing is enjoyable.

Comment

1. Skin
                        2. Quarter and put on ice for a week or two
                        3. Cut into final steak, roasts, grind

Watch some videos first.

On your first go just remember, cut/ separate at the natural seams. You can’t really mess anything up if you do that. The more you do it, the more you’ll get the hang of it.

Good luck!

Comment

Micheal's video is great
                          https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...ght=processing
                          Bearded Butchers is great too but I think they are butchering larger deer.

Comment

Another for the Bearded Butchers videos.

Comment

Here's what has helped me...

-find a cool area with a countertop or sturdy table.
                              -good knives!! Processing kits will do the job, but a good knife is key. If you keep processing yourself, invest in a good knife sharpener
                              -Gloves for when you DO cut yourself.
                              -Food sealer and lots of bags
                              -optional: meat grinder, smoker, dehydrator, sausage equip. Some of these get pricey, but you can start buying them now so you have them later

Youtube has a ton of great info. I've searched out a lot of good info on the tbh too. Sky is the limit on what you want to do. You won't regret doing it yourself.

Comment

Working...
                              X