No announcement yet.

Watch the cows.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sorry to disagree on the cows being dumber than a box of dirt. I bet you a dollar to a donut that cows can find water faster than any human.

Comment

Originally posted by 2B4Him View Post
      Cows are dumber than a box of dirt. But God put certain things in their brains (like complex solunar tables).
      I know that in windy conditions, pilots of old would 'buzz' a runway before landing to see which way cows around it were facing because the cows would instinctively face away from the wind.
      Probably buzzed the runway to make sure none of those dumb cows were on the runway. Windsocks are pretty good for determining wind direction.

Comment

Originally posted by hogslayer78 View Post
        Grandpa always told me if the cows are laying the fish aint biting but if there up then the fish will bite good. We always checked the cows on the way to lake conroe. Same scenario pretty much lol. I never paid attention if it worked or not lol, just remember Grandpa telling me this everytime we went lol.
        Mine told me the same thing all of the time, but we fished out of Galveston. I have been with him a few times where he turned around once we drove past the pasture to the boat ramp and went back to the beach house because all of the cows were laying down! Ha. ****** me off as a kid.

Comment

I am around cows and deer all day pretty much every day. And that old saying is bull****.

Comment

This is why you break out the range cubes on the way to the stand.......cows get up, deer get up too ....right?

Comment

Growing up my best hunting bud’s half Cherokee dad told us boy that same cow/deer info. He was right about most things, so I never doubted any hunting education he passed around. Still don’t. Your mileage may vary …

Comment

Doesn’t work that way where I hunt.
                Ain’t no cows around!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Slabby View Post
                  Relates to lunar patterns.
                  Maybe also the pressure?

Comment

I have always given consideration to the daily major and minor when planning the best time for hunting or fishing. Especially if I can catch a first light/ early morning major - always want to be in the stand or on the water during that time.
                    Ed

Comment

There is some truth to it, but not always. does are a little different from cows, they will sometimes eat at different times than cows. Bucks are during the rut, don't have much of any relation to cattle movement, they have completely different priorities. When the rut is not going on, they bucks will move in similar patterns to cows. If you have ever watched bulls, when they get put in with a bunch of cows to breed them. That's more like typical buck rut movement. They will go nearly non stop 24 hours a day, for a couple of weeks, till they are so exhausted they just lay there for a couple of days recovering from their marathon of chasing a breeding.

Comment

It's BS.

People see what they want to see so they'll have that connection with their parents/grandparents. They want to believe it. It's nobody's fault, the person who told them that probably believed it too.

Same people who told us chiggers burrow into your skin, bleach cures poison ivy, and black panthers and bigfoot are real.

Moon phase also has little to no effect.

People are by and large very gullible.

Comment

Originally posted by adam_p View Post
                          It's BS.

People see what they want to see so they'll have that connection with their parents/grandparents. They want to believe it. It's nobody's fault, the person who told them that probably believed it too.

Same people who told us chiggers burrow into your skin, bleach cures poison ivy, and black panthers and bigfoot are real.

Moon phase also has little to no effect.

People are by and large very gullible.

you lost me when you said moon phase has little to no effect. Did your Grandpa tell you that?

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                            you lost me when you said moon phase has little to no effect. Did your Grandpa tell you that?
                            No, scientific studies did.

Comment

From Dr. Grant Woods who was at one time a big proponent of hunting the moon phases.

Woods said that’s why he dumped his Deer Activity Index and moved on. “Anything based on observed deer – what you see while hunting with your own two eyes – is biased,” he said. “You’re putting your best effort where you think you’ll most likely see deer. Meanwhile, a GPS collar follows that deer everywhere, 24 hours a day. And when you compare GPS data from about 300 to 400 deer in various studies on the same day in different locations, you see tremendous differences in observed vs. unobserved activity.”

Woods, however, doesn’t expect most hunters to agree. “I won’t hang my hat on anything that ties deer activity to moon phases or moon positions,” he said. “The better our scientific tools become, the less you see connections. There’s zero relationships with the moon. It’s the same straight line across the page. Hunters will hammer me for saying that, but they just don’t want to accept the truth about the moon.”

Comment

I have killed several deer/hogs because cows where looking at them. My uncles cows see anything that moves....so in my 35+ years of hunting... I agree.

Comment

Working...
                                X