No announcement yet.

Thoughts on lack of doves?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I find it hard to believe the freeze killed migrating birds that can stay out in front of all of it. We had PLENTY of town whitewings south of Breckenridge yesterday evening and this morning (the ones that stay around year-round and don’t migrate). If any of them were going to die from the freeze it would have been the ones that live here and don’t leave.

Comment

Originally posted by Deafishunter View Post
      I got the same issue at my place.

I remember growing up, we’d get our limits every hunt in a couple of hours.

But the last 6 years. I’d see ay least 5 or less a hunt maybe get one or 2 if I’m lucky.

My property is surrounded by hundreds of acres of corn, and milo fields.

I think the issue is there’s just too many dove hunters in the area, that we’d get the left overs from what people missed.
      where are yall hunting?

Comment

Thoughts on lack of doves?

Originally posted by Codie View Post
        I find it hard to believe the freeze killed migrating birds that can stay out in front of all of it. We had PLENTY of town whitewings south of Breckenridge yesterday evening and this morning (the ones that stay around year-round and don’t migrate). If any of them were going to die from the freeze it would have been the ones that live here and don’t leave.

Many reports of robins dying during this freeze including some on tbh also. Robins are migratory birds and don’t have a big resident population in Texas.

It happens. Especially with smaller birds like robins, doves, blackbirds etc that can’t fly long ranges at a time like ducks and geese. The weather sometimes catches up to them when they are in a resting mode and have to hunker down hoping for the best. Especially one moving as fast as this one that dropped temps so quickly.

Comment

I don't know what caused the lack of birds for some. We were covered up around Waco. 95% Whitewings.

We did have a few birds that looked like their toes froze off.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

When I get service I will post a picture of ones feet from here in Comanche. It’s crazy

Comment

Loaded up with birds at the ranch in llano

Hunted down south tonight and saw more mourning doves than white wings, but great numbers overall.

Should be an incredible opener

Comment

They were pretty skimpy around Weslaco in the valley. Mostly local no big influx yet.

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post

We did have a few birds that looked like their toes froze off.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
                  I killed a couple WW this week that had toes like that. Said the same thing to the guys hunting that the ice/snow got em.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                    Many reports of robins dying during this freeze including some on tbh also. Robins are migratory birds and don’t have a big resident population in Texas.

It happens. Especially with smaller birds like robins, doves, blackbirds etc that can’t fly long ranges at a time like ducks and geese. The weather sometimes catches up to them when they are in a resting mode and have to hunker down hoping for the best. Especially one moving as fast as this one that dropped temps so quickly.
                    I had dead doves at my place. Sparrows and buntings too.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by hrdwrkncwby76 View Post
                      Was that a lease or day hunt? I’m looking for places in the area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nah, buddy’s place on an invite.

Comment

Doesn't seem to be a shortage of them around here. We have mourning doves that stick around all Winter long and we saw -30 at night during the freeze. I didn't see any dead birds. I guess my question is what's different between our birds in the Winter and birds in Texas in the Winter?

Comment

We saw a few dead birds around this area, here and there but no doves. Just various types and all the robins and cardinals were puffed up to twice their size to try and stay warm. Makes you wonder where do they roost at night? Naturally, the weak ones are not going to make it. Still normal local doves here at the house now.
                          I still hold to the idea that the majority of doves pushed out before the major freeze hit. And this summer has been a cool one and rather wet, which when happened before always leads to lower numbers. Will see if some Sept. cool fronts push more down with the teal.

Comment

I’m in El Campo this wkd, terrible hunting. I normally limit quick. Yesterday I shot 3 and the day before we combined 14 with 3 shooters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ClayW View Post
                              Maybe they were all shot Wednesday?
                              I heard zero and I mean zero shots Wednesday, it was bizarre. Most I heard was Saturday evening and it was fewer than I’ve heard the first Saturday of September thats wasn’t a rainout

Comment

I don’t think anybody is claiming all the dove were killed by the freeze for the TBH “absolutists”. Just that the freeze possibly contributed to a decline in numbers in fields/areas full of feed and water that normally produce big numbers.

Comment

Working...
                                X