Whitetail camo for elk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whitetail camo for elk?

I’m upgrading my camo this year, tired of being cold. Leader in the pack is sitka (if you have any better recommendations I’m all ears!) but I was wondering if I’m okay to take the “whitetail line” out west? I don’t see why not, but a buddy was giving me some flack for it. I’m sure I’m overthinking but wanted opinions.

Originally posted by St59 View Post
    I’m upgrading my camo this year, tired of being cold. Leader in the pack is sitka (if you have any better recommendations I’m all ears!) but I was wondering if I’m okay to take the “whitetail line” out west? I don’t see why not, but a buddy was giving me some flack for it. I’m sure I’m overthinking but wanted opinions.
    You’re gonna most likely be wearing a bright orange vest so camo is not a big concern in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by RutnBuk View Post
      You’re gonna most likely be wearing a bright orange vest so camo is not a big concern in my opinion.
      True. I think I’m more concerned with the materials not being able to take the beating, but I really am probably putting too much though into it

Comment

Lol if your looking to western camo for warmth your gonna be ****ed lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

To answer your question……elk don’t care if it’s WT camo or a nice carhart bib overalls tan

Comment

Sitkas whitetail stuff is built for keeping you warm while sitting still and isn’t as flexible for hiking. Will it work? Absolutely.

Will it burn you up? Probably

I layer like it’s designed to when going mobile. Mix of Sitka and kuiu. Anyone who says it’s not worth the money hasn’t ever truly used the stuff. BIG difference in quality western Camo and a pair over walls or carhart bibs etc.

Needed? Heck no. Neither is a $1500 bow or a $5000 rifle. But there’s worse things to spend money on

Comment

My Dad's Elk, Mule Deer Camo was a Red Plaid Shirt and Blue Jeans.....

Comment

There’s a massive difference between archery season in CO and late season in MT. If you’re hiking with a pack on and it’s above freezing, you aren’t going to want anything but a long sleeved shirt on. If you’re sitting and glassing, temps are the same as if you’re in a tree stand.

The manufacturers deal seems to be selling you as many different pieces of clothing as possible obviously. Sitka takes it the farthest with “you need a different pattern for every phase of the season and species”.

I’ve bought some KUIU stuff but try to keep it simple.
                Last edited by gatorgrizz27; 07-17-2021, 05:37 AM.

Comment

Dont need camo

Comment

The elk in my front yard are used to a blue Texas Bowhunter long sleeve and black gym shorts before 6am and Wrangler jeans and long sleeve shirt for the rest of the day.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                      Sitkas whitetail stuff is built for keeping you warm while sitting still and isn’t as flexible for hiking. Will it work? Absolutely.

Will it burn you up? Probably

I layer like it’s designed to when going mobile. Mix of Sitka and kuiu. Anyone who says it’s not worth the money hasn’t ever truly used the stuff. BIG difference in quality western Camo and a pair over walls or carhart bibs etc.

Needed? Heck no. Neither is a $1500 bow or a $5000 rifle. But there’s worse things to spend money on
                      ^^^^ This

Comment

You need camo to hunt about as much as you need C' mere deer, the butt-out tool, the woods walker, a deer view mirror, etc.

Comment

OP, maybe you should have left the word "camo" out of the title. Reading comprehension isn't what it once was. Since you are asking about materials not pattetns, trophy8 and JT are spot on.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Will it take a beating, most likely not.
                            "Beating" is subjective though.
                            Cruising a lot of black timber, stepping through deadfalls all day etc, will eat that plastic stuff up.
                            None of it can stand up to the terrain like canvas can.
                            Just depends on where and what type hunting you will be doing.
                            For almost 30 yrs I've hunted exclusively in Filson pants or bibs, or some type of canvas when it comes to the west and it always works.

Comment

Working...
                            X