Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where to go for over the counter guided elk hunt.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to go for over the counter guided elk hunt.

Myself and my two nephews have sworn to each other that we are going to go elk hunting fall of 2022. We are open to any state but probably looking for an over the counter tag and a guide. I would appreciated anyone replying that has gone with a good outfitter in an OTC area. We will probably be looking for a rifle hunt, wanting to go a back country horse type trip. Let me know if you have an outfitter you recommend. We would like to get things hashed out and deposits in as soon as we can..

Thanks

I’d look into Colorado. I hunted next to Unit 24 which was a draw only unit, not sure if the surrioung units are draw or OTC.

We had an outfitter drop us off by horseback and came back top pick us up in a week. You have to be near a water source and have a purifying system for drinking.

There are some outfitter that will drop you off at one of their non-guided spike camps. $ of went, 2 with a bow, 2 had ML permits, I took a nice 5x5. I’d post a pic but I don’t know how.

Comment

Originally posted by tpcollins View Post
      I’d look into Colorado. I hunted next to Unit 24 which was a draw only unit, not sure if the surrioung units are draw or OTC.

We had an outfitter drop us off by horseback and came back top pick us up in a week. You have to be near a water source and have a purifying system for drinking.

There are some outfitter that will drop you off at one of their non-guided spike camps. $ of went, 2 with a bow, 2 had ML permits, I took a nice 5x5. I’d post a pic but I don’t know how.
      Thanks, I hunted Colorado about 20 years ago. King Mountain, west of Denver a few hours. It was OTC and I got lucky and got a 5x5. I was extremely lucky though, the camp site looked like spring break there were so many hunters there. We left at 3AM to get in front of the other hunters. Seeing as the pattern is I get to do this once every 20 years, I'm really looking for a guided hunt. I want to get away from other hunters as much as I can.

Comment

Ttt

Comment

TTT, anyone have a guide they recommend?

Comment

While I don’t think it’s over the counter, if I wanted to do what you are talking about I’d be looking at the Bob Marshall wilderness in Montana. I’m guessing it is a general tag that could be nearly guaranteed with 2 preference points. Others more familiar with Montana can correct me if I’m wrong.

Sorry, but I can’t recommend an outfitter. Someone on here did a summer trip with an outfitter last year so you might try searching for that thread. You can still buy points now so you could get a point this year and be at one next year when you try to draw.

I should add there are going to be Grizz there so not sure if you are ok with that.
            Last edited by Hockley; 05-05-2021, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockley View Post
              While I don’t think it’s over the counter, if I wanted to do what you are talking about I’d be looking at the Bob Marshall wilderness in Montana. I’m guessing it is a general tag that could be nearly guaranteed with 2 preference points. Others more familiar with Montana can correct me if I’m wrong.

Sorry, but I can’t recommend an outfitter. Someone on here did a summer trip with an outfitter last year so you might try searching for that thread. You can still buy points now so you could get a point this year and be at one next year when you try to draw.

I should add there are going to be Grizz there so not sure if you are ok with that.
              Thank you, I just looked at that and emailed a guide with some questions.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunterhelm View Post
                Thank you, I just looked at that and emailed a guide with some questions.

Thanks!
                Sweet, glad you liked the idea! Will stay in this thread to see how your search goes!!l Maybe you will go, and then I can piggy back off your great sucess!

Comment

Wes Armenta With Bull Valley Outtfitters in New Mexico. Message me if you want his number.

Comment

Joe Bowsher (I think I spelled his name right) with Horned Fork Guides out of Buena Vista CO. We did a horse back trip with him a few years ago and two in our party were successful. he runs a clean camp and we ate like kings. Collegiate peaks were beautiful in Nov.

Comment

Working...
                    X