Cook Venison Tenderloin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by spotsanddots View Post
    I "know" its probably the best and tastiest way to eat it, but dang, I just cant do rare or medium rare. We try and cook our meat so that its cooked enough, but get it off before it gets to dried out. Sometimes we dont get it. Sometimes we do. Is there a way to cook that tenderloin without "taking it off when its rare"?

You can do it easily by using a fast reading meat thermometer. cook it ever how you want whether fried, baked, grilled, etc, and cook the meat until it reaches an internal temp of 140 degrees (145 max) and pull it and let it rest for about 10 minutes.

Dig in. it will be done throughout yet still moist... won't be quite as tender as medium (at least pink a little in the middle) but it will still be good...

It will also be better if you have aged the meat 2 weeks (dry or wet aged)... Meat will be fork cutting tender and the most flavorful...

In reality, I like to make that Pontacharain sauce using one of the fillets seared in a very hot cast iron skillet, then pour the sauce over sliced fillets at room temperature that have never been put over a fire... THAT is my favorite!

Comment

My daughter took her buck to a processor. I had dressed it out and told her to keep the tenders. They ended up in the burger pile. Not happy. Glad you got yours back.

Comment

Here's a tenderloin my wife and I had this weekend... Was a 215# 6 year old management buck fully rutted up, killed The week before Christmas and processed New Year's weekend... Some of the most tender flavorful meat we've ever had... Near perfection.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0437.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	156.3 KB
ID:	24640791

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0438.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	24640792

Comment

bacon wrapped and over charcoal.
          some of y'all may call it overcooked, but wife called it delicious and I agreed.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
            #1 favorite way is a double buttermilk batter, chicken-fried then make sawmill gravy and mashed taters with yeast rolls...

[ATTACH]1036013[/ATTACH]

Also very good is seared tenderloin with a Pontchatrain sauce recipe that I got from Cajun blake made from heavy cream, dijon mustard, capers n a little butter, oil and cracked peppercorns with capers...

[ATTACH]1036014[/ATTACH]
            Man that looks good. Mind sharing the Pontchatrain sauce recipe

Comment

Originally posted by Cory.Shumate View Post
              I sous vide at 100 for 45 minutes or so, just to get it close to even temp throughout, not really to cook it. It’s already tender. Then I sear to internal of 115 - 120. That’s rare though. If you go for medium well, probably try it the same way as your steaks. Might just throw together a marinade of some kind to help it stay moist.
              Excellent, thanks for that.

Comment

Originally posted by boomerball View Post
                bacon wrapped and over charcoal.
                some of y'all may call it overcooked, but wife called it delicious and I agreed.
                Either really big deer but this looks like backstrap to me

Comment

#1 favorite way is a double buttermilk batter, chicken-fried then make sawmill gravy and mashed taters with yeast rolls...

[ATTACH]1036013[/ATTACH]

Also very good is seared tenderloin with a Pontchatrain sauce recipe that I got from Cajun blake made from heavy cream, dijon mustard, capers n a little butter, oil and cracked peppercorns with capers...

[ATTACH]1036014[/ATTACH]

That fried okra on that plate deserves a mention too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Marco View Post
                    Either really big deer but this looks like backstrap to me
                    big deer, field dressed about 150ish
                    also kind of a small plate

Comment

Ahh got it. Looks great!

Comment

I don’t shoot many deer but I kill hogs a plenty. I cut the tenderloins and back strap out on the swine. Brine the tenderloins in a little salt-pepper-fresh garlic-water for a few hours. I have been cooking the tenderloins sous vide in our steam oven to 125 for 2 1/2 hours then a quick pan sear in a very hot cast iron skillet. Its some of the best meat I have ever eaten. Right up there with waygu

Comment

I can’t wrap my head around the idea of people not knowing what a tenderloin was

Comment

[ATTACH]1036013[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1036014[/ATTACH]

You always mention a sawmill gravy, you got a recipe for it? You’ve got me interested!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by BURTONboy View Post
                              You always mention a sawmill gravy, you got a recipe for it? You’ve got me interested!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sawmill gravy is usually made with the grease left over from cooking pan sausage. Sometimes they will crumble the sausage up and put it back in the gravy and serve it SOS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by wloftis View Post
                                Tenderloins are the best meat in the deer! There's just not much of it.

Prep however you want, just don't overcook the meat.

Yep. Best part of the deer. Cook medium rare

Comment

Working...
                                X