No announcement yet.

Trapping Season Thread 2020-2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I see now. That makes sense. Very nice, thanks!

Comment

Got 4 coyotes and the bobcat ready for sale to the buyer and realized we left one song dog hanging at the ranch to dry.
      I'll post up a pic of all when we get it home tomorrow.

Coyotes are bringing $75 for nice prime with guard hairs, bobcats are down - about $400 is top dollar this year. We'll be happy with middle of the road prices.

Comment

I would take $50 for one of these Texas coyotes and be happy as a pig in mud
        I doubt they would bring $20

Rain stopped early enough that I was able to deploy some traps. 2 DPs by the deer feeder and 4 coyote sets (3 flat sets and one dirt hole). Really hoping I get a double right behind the house where dirt hole and flat set are about 20' apart. Have a pair coming through randomly and not too happy they are within 100yds of back porch and even closer to chicken pen

Might set 2 more coyote traps tomorrow afternoon.

Short work week so I am going to leave traps out and run them in the evenings after I get home or until they get rained out I guess

Goal is 5 coyotes, didn't want to set the bar too high since I am still learning as I go.

I have a game cam pic with 4 coyotes in it so I figure there are at least 4 here

Comment

Good luck, hope you catch all 4, or your goal !
          We'll reset after Christmas but concentrate on bobcats probably, coyotes will be pretty rubbed by then I think with the snow we've had lately. We'll still try to take some but fur isn't worth near as much into Jan. for coyotes.

Our bobcat trapping has been dismal this year but their price is way down too.

Comment

I will show my ignorance, I thought they "rubbed" when it started warming up

I already caught 2 so I am halfway to my goal, everything above 5 will be a treat

Comment

Who or where do you sell furs and do you need a special permit? Never got into it but have shoot coyotes and bobcats never thought about selling the furs, have had a couple mounted, nice bobcat rug

Comment

Up this way, north, they rub off the flank guard hairs and fur on rocks and snow, Not necessarily rubbing to get rid of the extra hair just happens as they go around in snow and rocks.
                Bobcats have to have a CITES tag, free, to sell. You get one at G&F office.

We have several fur buyers that have routes, they go all over the upper midwest and Rocky Mountains. Look up Colt Furs, Petska Fur, Snowy Range Fur Company, Wyoming Fur Trader and Hester Wild fur.
                Most will come through our town and pay good money for quality fur, stretched and dried. Some buy on the carcass too.
                Our coyotes bring good money and bobcats usually do too.
                Petska has routes in Texas to buy.

Comment

Originally posted by dimeboxbill View Post
                  Who or where do you sell furs and do you need a special permit? Never got into it but have shoot coyotes and bobcats never thought about selling the furs, have had a couple mounted, nice bobcat rug
                  Southern pelts are not in high demand and don't bring much money these days with few exceptions. Thirty or forty years ago there were big buying and processing facilities all over Texas and many fur buying routes. Most of that has disappeared, but I think R-P Outdoors in Mansfield La, may still buy some fur and used to have a route through parts of Texas.

Comment

Originally posted by McClain View Post
                    Southern pelts are not in high demand and don't bring much money these days with few exceptions. Thirty or forty years ago there were big buying and processing facilities all over Texas and many fur buying routes. Most of that has disappeared, but I think R-P Outdoors in Mansfield La, may still buy some fur and used to have a route through parts of Texas.
                    This is also what I would have posted

You need a TRAPPING license if you are going to sell the fur, otherwise if you are shooting to mount one or just trapping to reduce the predator population you don't have to buy a trapping license, hunting license will cover it. At least that is my interpretation
                    Does not hurt to buy a trapping license, they are $19

Comment

Sorry BT I should have added the trapping license requirement to my post.
                      In Wyoming bobcats are considered fur bearers and you have to have a trapping license to take them, coyotes are predators, like Texas and no license is needed for take.

Furs are ready for the buyer.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Ran my little short line here at the house after I got home. 2 DPs and 4 #3 coil springs for coyotes

Struck out so they are still out waiting for something to get in them

Comment

Couple of coyote tracks on top of trap but just not quite over pan

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5672.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	376.5 KB
ID:	24639702

Thinking coyote dug trap out and took pan cover

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
                              Sorry BT I should have added the trapping license requirement to my post.
                              In Wyoming bobcats are considered fur bearers and you have to have a trapping license to take them, coyotes are predators, like Texas and no license is needed for take.

Furs are ready for the buyer.
                              Very nice!!!

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                              [ATTACH]1033810[/ATTACH]

Thinking coyote dug trap out and took pan cover
                              They are not called wily for nothing!

Comment

A little info from the pro's please

I don't mean to get the thread off of the subject of trapping. It is something that I would love to get into some time. Right now I am calling and shooting the critters around here. They are cased skinned and in the freezer. I'm using a .22 mag so not much damage.
                                My question is, what size and brand of stretchers should I get to put our west Texas coyotes, bobcats and grey fox on? I don't plan on selling them but would like to stretch and dry them in order to later get them tanned and to practice in case I ever do get to the point of selling a few.

In order to not get the thread off subject, feel free to PM me if you would like. Thank you to anyone who can help.

Comment

Working...
                                X