S. Texas Hunt ~ Need Help & Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S. Texas Hunt ~ Need Help & Advice

I was drawn for the LRGV East Lake Hunt for this weekend. They called today and said the hunt was moved because of the cow tick disease to the Schlaben unit about 10 miles west. Good news the place has not been hunted in at least 40 years they said, bad news it appears to be extremely thick and has not been maintained. There appears to be many old roads but they said they have not been maintained, but anywhere off the roads look thick. It is hard for me to understand the trees/brush of a map in south Texas. This is a shotgun / muzzleloader hunt, so I need to be able to keep within 150 yards. Also the property is 1500 acres, there will be 8 hunters. There is a 300 acre private property range in the middle. I can see water close to the SE point of the private property, but I imagine everyone will try to get that point. Any advice or opinions will greatly be appreciated

http://www.google.com/maps/@26.52155.../data=!3m1!1e3
    Attached Files

Man that is awesome!

Pm sent

Comment

Will they allow you to hunt the road system in the property? I would set up where I can see a long ways on a road and move to crossing points as you observe animal movement. The fact that it hasnt been hunted, is super thick, and has water sounds like a recipe for some good animals!

Comment

I hunted 1 mile south of that area two years ago on the same road (brushline rd.) I know that the east border is high fenced. I drove past that area for two years to get to my other leases. It wasn't uncommon to see road kill as I past that area so I'm sure there should be some animals. I saw hogs, a couple deer, and one adolescent nilgai on the side of the road that had been hit by vehicles. Good luck to you

Comment

Originally posted by MasterOfNothing View Post
          I hunted 1 mile south of that area two years ago on the same road (brushline rd.) I know that the east border is high fenced. I drove past that area for two years to get to my other leases. It wasn't uncommon to see road kill as I past that area so I'm sure there should be some animals. I saw hogs, a couple deer, and one adolescent nilgai on the side of the road that had been hit by vehicles. Good luck to you
          The east side of Brushline rd or the east side of the Schlaben unit? Thanks

Comment

I thought that was the unit off 186.

I’d imagine it’s just as thick as what you can see off the road. VERY THICK!

No information but good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by fish4food View Post
              I thought that was the unit off 186.

I’d imagine it’s just as thick as what you can see off the road. VERY THICK!

No information but good luck!
              That's my problem, I have never seen it off the road

Comment

Pm sent.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by gemini2759 View Post
                  Pm sent.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk
                  Thanks

Comment

I would normally be ****** off on having a hunt moved this late in the game but I think in this case it will definitely be in your favor. No real hunt advice but when I look at the satellite imagery compared to other areas I have hunted down there that brush is almost impenetrable. If you do not have any I would highly recommend some snake boots. When you go through that brush you will get hung up and if you see a snake you can't get away very easily without ripping yourself to shreds. The positive side is even the game will have trouble getting through so the trails should be obvious.

Comment

man whoever owns that 300 acres smack in the middle of an unhunted wma in south TX has been on lucky guy for a long time.

I believe this unit was one that was planned to be opened for hunting next year as part of Trump's program to open over 2 million acres of new land to hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by Phorizt View Post
                        man whoever owns that 300 acres smack in the middle of an unhunted wma in south TX has been on lucky guy for a long time.

I believe this unit was one that was planned to be opened for hunting next year as part of Trump's program to open over 2 million acres of new land to hunting.

The ranger said the guy who owns the 300 acres don't hunt, but does have blinds for viewing. He also told me that they were opening the tract for public hunting next year

Comment

Go find one of those hidden “circular“ areas you can see in the interior from the photo. Those will be natural low, open areas with green forage(grass and weeds) in them. Should be able to see across them under the canopy. You will be successful there.

Comment

Originally posted by CTD2011 View Post
                            Go find one of those hidden “circular“ areas you can see in the interior from the photo. Those will be natural low, open areas with green forage(grass and weeds) in them. Should be able to see across them under the canopy. You will be successful there.
                            I noticed that. There is a really green spot in front of the 300 acres section. It is rather open, that is on my list to check out

Comment

How did the new area turn out? Hopefully there was some success

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X