Sonora / Sutton County 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sonora / Sutton County 2020

So who all stayed after the anthrax aftermath? We are still holding on to our place hoping it bounces back. Anyone been in awhile? I haven’t been since December, probably going back this month.

Haha, I just realized your the guy on the Sutton county hunting Facebook page.

We had a good year. Heading up next weekend to show a couple new guys that just got on the lease around and let them pick there spots. I’m really excited to have them as they are very good friends of mine.

Comment

We stayed at a reduced rate. Things are bleak but hopefully there will be good things to come in the next few years.

Comment

We pulled out. It was tough moving on after 9 years but we weren’t offered any price concessions to stay.

Comment

Tag just to watch as I love that area...

We were offered 1/2 price to stay but I pulled out. With most animals being killed off and the ranch being on the market it was just time for me to move on. I'll miss it for sure, lots of memories there over the years and lots of friendships made.

Comment

Following

Comment

I drive through the area every 2 weeks on my way to my 2 places in RS. Those of you that have stayed will have a great opportunity from a management standpoint, but thats a long wait if you're not an owner.

Comment

Originally posted by sharpstick35 View Post
                I drive through the area every 2 weeks on my way to my 2 places in RS. Those of you that have stayed will have a great opportunity from a management standpoint, but thats a long wait if you're not an owner.
                I agree with that ^^^ That place is a deer manager's dream starting now...assuming the big A doesn't hit again about the time it all comes together.

Comment

Originally posted by BowSlayer View Post
                  I agree with that ^^^ That place is a deer manager's dream starting now...assuming the big A doesn't hit again about the time it all comes together.
                  That is the fear for sure, if it does come again I see us probably packing up.

We also got a reduced rate which I believe most ranches are doing this for the hunters right now or thats what Id expect.

Comment

The ranchers that are reducing rates for the hunters are A+ in my book. I've only been in the area for 6 years, but I've done a lot of research on Anthrax in the area and it seems to be fairly cyclical, following 9-11 year pattern depending on early rains and late summer heat.

Comment

We stayed at a discounted rate. Back in October we had 8 deer total from cameras and a helicopter survey. Last month we had 16 deferent bucks on camera. Two looked mature, so it's heading in the right direction.

Comment

Like others said, we stayed at a reduced rate. I just went out last weekend to fill some protein feeders and jumped groups of deer several times while driving the ranch. We weren't seeing hardly anything during season. I saw more deer on Saturday evening driving ranch roads than I did during season. Hopefully things are looking up.

Comment

We stayed, only had the place for 3 years but have a great LO and with all the work we’ve put into the place we decided we’re not going to give up that easy. We’re going up in 2 weeks so hopefully things will look a little better than they did in December but if not it will still be nice just to get away and spend time in that beautiful country.

Comment

Most places bounce back pretty quick in this area. You guys that got hit will be fine and better off in the long run. Time to get it right and start a good management plan and get to feeding good luck to you guys!

Comment

Was out last weekend for the turkey opener. The kids had some luck and it’s turning green. On camera each spot had five or six deer and they’re finally eating all of the corn. We’ll probably make one more trip before the spring season is over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                              X