No announcement yet.

Lower Rio Grande NWR east lake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I called and they confirmed my kiddo will NOT be hunting East Lake (USDA/fever tick thing) but don't have info on where his hunt will be moved yet.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
      I called and they confirmed my kiddo will NOT be hunting East Lake (USDA/fever tick thing) but don't have info on where his hunt will be moved yet.
      OK it's La Sal Del Rey Tract. Anybody know anything about that? I don't get the impression it's a commonly previously hunted area but the email mentioned that there's lots of people who visit/use the lake daily so may be kind of a high traffic area. Email says "no hunting around the lake" but mentions no clarification, apparently it's open to the public and people can and do park in the parking area and go for hikes and such.
      Last edited by justletmein; 11-30-2020, 01:09 PM.

Comment

OK it's La Sal Del Rey Tract. Anybody know anything about that? I don't get the impression it's a commonly previously hunted area but the email mentioned that there's lots of people who visit/use the lake daily so may be kind of a high traffic area. Email says "no hunting around the lake" but mentions no clarification, apparently it's open to the public and people can and do park in the parking area and go for hikes and such.
        I saw mine and got mine close to the gate. Another guy walked back a ways and he saw a couple Nilgai and 6 pointer. Not sure where he was. But get there a day or so early. Not many hunters and lake traffic is seen but don’t think it affects yoy

Comment

Originally posted by marioq View Post
          I saw mine and got mine close to the gate. Another guy walked back a ways and he saw a couple Nilgai and 6 pointer. Not sure where he was. But get there a day or so early. Not many hunters and lake traffic is seen but don’t think it affects yoy
          Yeah we're heading out first thing in the morning so should be able to get two good scout days in before the hunt starts on Friday. Not sure what to expect so bringing a tripod and some brush chairs to carry, 30% chance of rain Sunday so thinking of bringing the double bull but that'll be a last resort as the public places I've hunted before no matter how much you brush it in the animals know it's new. Figure if it's raining all day it'll give us a place to huddle up.
          They sent another email with redefined boundaries which cuts the hunting area to about 1/3 of the tract so it took out my previously e-scouted areas but simplifies the decision making now. Gonna be 8 kids down there so hopefully all the walking around won't run them all out of the hunt area.

Comment

I think u can hunt anywhere u see sign. There is parking but head west on chaps road and there is another little road 1/2 mile up. U can go there too. I saw a cow Nilgai when I went here. I will advise u to stay covered and in place till 10am. I shot my 4 Nilgai at 915 or so

Comment

I think u can hunt anywhere u see sign. There is parking but head west on chaps road and there is another little road 1/2 mile up. U can go there too. I saw a cow Nilgai when I went here. I will advise u to stay covered and in place till 10am. I shot my 4 Nilgai at 915 or so
              Do they primarily move during the day? We saw 30+ scouting today man they're everywhere. We clocked 2.5 miles to the furthest spot where we turned around, oddly enough the further we got away from the parking area the less sign and animals we saw. The bulk were right up front.

Comment

Do they primarily move during the day? We saw 30+ scouting today man they're everywhere. We clocked 2.5 miles to the furthest spot where we turned around, oddly enough the further we got away from the parking area the less sign and animals we saw. The bulk were right up front.
                Yeah I noticed that too. They are not like deer and move at sun up and down only. Where u saw them, position yourself in cover. Use the wind and just wait till 10am at the earliest. They move all day. The rain may help you to see more action because it’s cool. Shoot and don’t stop till they stop moving. Like elk!!!!!

Comment

How did u do

Man with this rain. Not sure how Nilgai react but if u saw 30, I gotta believe u got at least one down!!!!
                  I’m around tomorrow. Hunt with boys on las palomas till noon if u need some help. Drop a couple!!!

Comment

Man with this rain. Not sure how Nilgai react but if u saw 30, I gotta believe u got at least one down!!!!
                    I’m around tomorrow. Hunt with boys on las palomas till noon if u need some help. Drop a couple!!!
                    Son took a shot at an absolute monster this morning, he was soaking wet and freezing and crawled on his belly through the mud. When he got setup I saw the bull get nervous and rushed him to shoot. 320 yards facing straight at us and think he shot underneath between his legs. That was the only one we saw today and it wasn't where we were sitting we were on the move.

Comment

Son took a shot at an absolute monster this morning, he was soaking wet and freezing and crawled on his belly through the mud. When he got setup I saw the bull get nervous and rushed him to shoot. 320 yards facing straight at us and think he shot underneath between his legs. That was the only one we saw today and it wasn't where we were sitting we were on the move.
                      Dang!!!! How old is he?? 320 straight on is a tough one for anyone. But cold and excited and shaking??? Man that is darn near impossible!!!! But hey he got a shot and the perseverance to do that in the rain and make it happen????
                      Man hats off to y’all. Congrats!!!!! They should be moving today I hope. Dress warm and good luck!!!! Read more tomorrow. Or later today.

Comment

He's 16 and he and his mom shoot groups at the 300 yard range so with proper rest and all that he's good with his gun. He's shooting my gun though for this trip so that doesn't help either.

Comment

Cool that’s all good and fine..... u til you get a big bull at the end of that scope!!!!! Hahahahaha. Blood pumps and stuff happens. Hope you get one today !!

Comment

Lol yeah I know all too well but this is how they learn and learn to calm the nerves as much as they can.

Comment

Anyone hunted here recently? Found out today me and the wife drew for the 11/9/23-11/12/23 hunt. Says there is 6 hunts and 36 permits so should only be in there with 4 other people I reckon or maybe 5 other groups. Not sure how they do it. I have a CVA optima v2 LR running 300 grain power belts. Looking at getting her(me) a cva accura lr-x in 45 and running the 285 power belt elr. I’ve killed a handful of nilgai and know they are tough critters. Just gotta find them in there is the hard part.

Comment

Interested as well. FIL and I drew the 12/7.

Comment

Working...
                                X