Is this a rub?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sqiggy View Post
    Just curious, why would you say they were not made by a buck?
    Because a buck rub would not be in the creases of the tree/between the two trunks and the damage is only done to the bark, not into the pulp of the tree.

Comment

If you look at how close to the ground some of the damage is, it doesn't seem very likely it's a rub.

Comment

Porcupine

Comment

I would not really wonder whether it was a rub or not if I saw it. It looks like a rub to me and bark gets knocked off in chunks when the sides of the antlers hit it......but I am no rub expert

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
            If you look at how close to the ground some of the damage is, it doesn't seem very likely it's a rub.
            Yes, that too! Bucks don’t rub down to the ground.

I am in the porcupine crowd.

Comment

Looks like rubs to me. Historical rubs at that. Now what done it? Who knows, but it looks like a whitetail rub.

Comment

Looks like a buck rub to me, just funny shaped tree and using the whole sides, put a camera on it and let's settle it

Comment

Until ten minutes ago i would've said buck rubs. But, i just did a google search of porcupine damage. Now i will say that is porcupine damage. As said above, put a camera on those tree trunks. The camera won't lie.

Comment

I don’t think anyone can definitely say those aren’t buck rubs. I’ve seen them on trees that were from barely rubbed to destroyed and everything in between. As others said, stick a couple cameras up.

Comment

I’m going with porcupine. Never seen a buck rub that low, and in between limbs like that. Plus the old damage is not scared along beside the new damage. Any buck hitting the rub that hard would leave scars/gouges in it I believe. My two cents what it’s worth. :-)
                      Last edited by kurt68; 11-26-2020, 05:13 PM.

Comment

Porcupine!

Comment

Yes they are all rubs. The trees in pics one, three and four have been rubs in previous years. That is not porcupine damage. We have porcupines in Kansas and their damage is usually just the outer layer of bark.
                          Last edited by asu-indian; 11-26-2020, 05:55 PM.

Comment

Put a camera on it and let us know

Probably a squatch marking a cross country trail, bout time for them to migrate for the winter

Comment

I will put a Reveal camera on it Saturday. Will post up pics of Squatches travels north.and might get a glimpse of our first ppine.

Comment

Originally posted by asu-indian View Post
                                Yes they are all rubs. The trees in pics one, three and four have been rubs in previous years. That is not porcupine damage. We have porcupines in Kansas and their damage is usually just the outer layer of bark.
                                All three of them are new this year. 3 and 4 just popped up in the last 7 days. One of our guys sat in a blind that doesn't get used much Monday night. He sent this picture at 268 yards.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X