Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

meateater podcast

Originally posted by TX CHICKEN View Post
    If you are a meateater podcast fan I think I heard they were doing a book with pics of old deer blinds and were looking for submissions...this one would be awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I second this! send me a PM if you are interested. Not sure if I can post the email on the post without getting kicked off.

Comment

Originally posted by Lynn21 View Post
      That pic needs a story:
      I grew up in southern Georgia and I loved huntin’ and fishin’. My dad worked hard all his life and was outta town a lot. So my grandpa was the one who taught me how to fish and hunt. His name was Tatum, but we all called him Grandpa Tate. He had deer hunted all his life and I remember watching him drive up the gravel road to our old house out in the country a hundred times in his old yellow Ford pickup (which by the way, he taught me how to drive in). I’d go runnin’ out to meet him and before he’d brake to a stop, I was jumping up and down trying to look in the back end cause I knew he had a dead deer laying back there among all the tools and tires and old empty oil cans. And yep, most times there was a deer back there. That particular day I remember helping him drag that deer outta the truck and finally gettin’ the nerve to ask, “Grandpa Tate, are you ever gonna take me huntin’ with you?” His reply was always, “Yes boy, soon as you turn 7.” I’ll never forget on my 7th birthday I was sittin on the front porch puttin’ on my boots at 5 am when he walked out. All he said was, “Let’s go.” I was sittin’ in that old yellow truck before he got halfway to it. It was just a 30 min drive to his “best spot”, as he always called it, and we were there in no time. Before we got out, he said, “Most important thing in deer huntin’ is being quiet, so you need to start by not slamming that door when you get out, and from now on, no talkin’.” He walked over to my side, laid his old rifle on the ground, and said, “get on, you’re ridin’ me piggy-back all the way in.” To this day I thought he did that cause one person walking was quieter than two. We got to the old box blind, got inside, and sat down on 2 five gallon buckets. After a short while a doe walked outta the woods and Grandpa Tate said, “put your fingers in your ears and be real still, I’m gonna shoot her.” And he did. An hour later we were back home and I was dragging the doe outta the truck. To this day I say that was my “first deer” cause it kinda really was. Grandpa Tate died when I was 27 and one day after that , my dad showed me an old black and white photograph of a young man standing in the front yard with a young boy on his back. I asked him, “whose that boy?” My dads reply was, “that’s me when I was 7, riding your Grandpa Tate piggy-back. He used to love to do that everyday soon as he’d come home from work.” So my story ends, and if you’ll look real hard behind that old box blind in the picture, you can barely make out a guy standing in the woods with a young boy on his back.....
      Great story Lynn21, God Bless all the Grandpa Tates who take kids hunting. And yeah, I believe I can see Grandpa Tate and the boy standing behind that blind …

Comment

Buck and white really adds a timeless quality to it. Nice!

Comment

Awesome Picture

Comment

That's a really cool picture!

Comment

Very cool!

Comment

Nice!!

Comment

Originally posted by tigerscowboy View Post
                  That isn't too far gone to rack and restore. Let the new lumber sit on it for a year before applying a clear preservative and you will have something unique.
                  I think that you would be doing an injustice to the landscape that the picture represents and the memories a bunch of us think back on if you refurbish that thing. It is a treasure the way it is. I recall old treestands built of 2x4's I crawled up in as a kid and hauled a rifle up by rope with the bolt open like my dad taught me to do.

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Working...
                    X