Anybody built a floating dock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody built a floating dock?

I need to build a dock with a walk way. The actual dock needs to be 8X12 or 10x12. I am afraid to put it on pylons due to high sand content of the soil. I am afraid if I go through the clay layer I may have a deep empty hole.

My question is where to buy floats in the Bryan-College Station area? How many floats will I need? Any other special knowledge about the project will be appreciated.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I built a 12x12 floating dock for my IN-LAWS at their place with a 30' gangway attached to the dock with hinges and I put 14" Lawnmower wheels on the land-based end to move back and forth. I used 10 plastic barrels with the screw caps sealed. I put 4 on each edge and 2 in the middle. It held 6 adults and 6 kids up just fine, along with the frame I built to hold the fish feeder. From my research, each 55-gallon plastic barrel supports 400+ lbs of weight.

Comment

I have an 10'x10' with 8 plastic barrels under it. I used a tow strap and attached the barrels to the bottom of the platform. It's work well for many years now. I have about a 10' walkway to it and hinges connecting it so it can go up and down as the water level changes.

Comment

Have you tried google for encapsulated foam for floating dock? My wife’s uncle built them in the lake Buchanan area but I don’t remember where he bought them. They were pricey if I remember correctly.

Comment

I think DRT on here does that type of work.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshot-73 View Post
            I think DRT on here does that type of work.
            Yep. There are a few places to get encapsulated floats. This is where we get ours.

Gary

Comment

You can buy lots for simple ones that will outlast the treated lumber and deck screws on barrels.

Gary

Comment

Tagged

Comment

How do you build them so they are stable? BIL built one and it if you walk toward the edge it is really unstable.

Comment

Stability comes from having a stiff enough frame and adequate flotation placed in the correct places.

Gary

Comment

The dock at Collin park marina on lake lavon is floating. It is built with a metal frame, with floats under the frame. Also most of the slips are covered, except for the sailboat slips. At present they are removing the Styrofoam (or whatever it is) and replacing it with plastic floats. They use pipes driven into the bottom to anchor it, and there isn't anywhere where it is unstable. When the lake falls below the level that can float the boats moored safely, they disassemble the dock in sections and move it out of the cove and into the main lake. Power and water is disconnected and reconnected whenever they move. It may be hard to access your boat when the move is taking place, but it only takes a week to do it.

If you build a stiff frame, and use enough floats, it will be stable. And the great thing about a floating dock, is it is always at the same level above the water.

Comment

Originally posted by Kenner97 View Post
                        How do you build them so they are stable? BIL built one and it if you walk toward the edge it is really unstable.

Mine is built almost exactly like DRT's pic. Even has the pool ladder on the side

The walk way acts as a counter weight if your out on the end of the pier. I can stand on the edge and it doesn't sink.

Comment

I see free 55 gallon barrels on craigslist all the time.(Dallas Area)

Comment

I just built one, and ordered the floats and all of the hardware from Home Depot. Free delivery.

Comment

Working...
                            X