Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Trevor73402 View Post
    Didn’t see your diagram.
    That's for TX. I just realized you are in OK.

It all boils down to how tough your local DOT folks are.

Around here they seem to stake out certain roads.

Comment

Picked up new truck and trailer today.

Add together the GVWR of the truck, and the GVWR of the trailer, if they combine to more than 26,000lbs you need a CDL. Length doesn’t matter, and weight doesn’t really, doesn’t even matter if the trailer is empty.

That means DOT #s
      Health card
      Drug test
      More insurance
      Permission to operate

And answering to the most ignorant collection of guidelines ever dreamed up. The DOT takes stupid and chicken **** to levels you can’t imagine.

If you cross the a state line, the stupidity triples.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by Dale Moser; 07-18-2019, 08:02 PM.

Comment

GVWR, plus the fact you are making money with that rig, or will be shortly.

Get your ELD, get your medical card,,, and study that test. You may get away with it for a while, but when you do get caught, it won’t be cheap.

If’n I knew 35 yrs. ago what a pain in the azz having a CDL is,, I would have went back to school.

Comment

What DMo said.... we ain’t trying to scare you, just want to inform you, so you can be successful.

Comment

Congrats on the new business.. Look into what Dmo says. My nephews are in the dirtwork business and have all kinds of rules and regs. Have fun and good luck

Comment

I’ll do some research on it. I don’t want any bad dealings with the law dogs.

Thank y’all for the info.

Comment

Also I think you are shooting low in the number. I know people getting 225-250hr for the same work, and they stay busy

Comment

Congrats

Comment

I wanted to ask why you went with a drum mulcher as opposed to a rotary mulcher? I have been looking at these attachments and both have pros and cons, just wanted to see what your criteria were, good luck with the machine.

Comment

Originally posted by Aggiestad View Post
                      I wanted to ask why you went with a drum mulcher as opposed to a rotary mulcher? I have been looking at these attachments and both have pros and cons, just wanted to see what your criteria were, good luck with the machine.

My only criteria was that the two people I know that do this full time both told me not to waste my money on a rotary blade. I assume you are talking about the big diamond rotary single blade cutters? Both my friends have/had one and they said they had their place at times, but were not nearly as versatile.

I’ve never personally used one so I can’t say either way. I wasn’t knowledgeable on the subject so I had to take the advice of others.

Comment

Originally posted by rut-ro View Post
                        Also I think you are shooting low in the number. I know people getting 225-250hr for the same work, and they stay busy
                        Man that would be awesome if I could bring in that rate per hour. Later on down the road once I get some business and revaluate my actual expenses, I may raise my rate. For now, I want business and happy customers.

Comment

The CDL requirements is a federal law. Not Texas or OK dependent. The fact that that trailer has a 20k+ GVWR, and your truck is probably 11,500 that puts you well over the 26,001 threshold. It’s a huge PITA, but that’s the rules. Some areas are more strict than others. I’m in the Permian Basin. I wouldn’t even consider it around here, but it’s extremely strict around here.

Comment

So, what he’s trying to say is drop your axles to 7,000 lb singles and you should be under 26,001.

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                            The CDL requirements is a federal law. Not Texas or OK dependent. The fact that that trailer has a 20k+ GVWR, and your truck is probably 11,500 that puts you well over the 26,001 threshold. It’s a huge PITA, but that’s the rules. Some areas are more strict than others. I’m in the Permian Basin. I wouldn’t even consider it around here, but it’s extremely strict around here.

Comment

Take notice of all the rock haulers that have trucks held together with tie wire, zip ties and duct tape, leaking fluids as fast as they can put them in, with at least 14 bald tires. Each wheel missing half the lugs. They’ll usually have paper signs duct taped to the door that say Lupes Trucking, Hernández Trucking, Jose’s Trucking, or Shorty’s Trucking.

DOT is necessary and I’ve been dealing with them for 20 years.

Comment

Originally posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
                                So, what he’s trying to say is drop your axles to 7,000 lb singles and you should be under 26,001.
                                I pull a 24’ lowboy on 7k singles with my 17’ 350 SRW. Technically I’m still in CDL territory. Truck GVWR is 11,500. Trailer GVWR is 15,850. Combined is 27,350 lbs. Luckily DOT doesn’t screw with single tandems much. The issue is if they saw that giant machine on a single tandem I’d bet they’d check him for being over loaded. I’ve got roughly 11k of payload left on my 24’ of the 15,850 GVWR. Nowhere near enough for that heavy machine, especially if I want to throw a bucket and post hole digger on the trailer as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X