No announcement yet.

Big Mistake, Lesson Learned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds like your surrounded by snowflakes. Prayers for your son.....would hate to deal with that for the rest of my life!

Comment

Originally posted by CJ776 View Post
      My wife would've said "What the hell! I was going for the rifle first" or "Why did you miss the other 6 pigs"
      My situation would have been about the same, except she would have a second rifle and laugh in my face when she kills more than i did...

Comment

Prayers up. Your son is going to have a long rough road ahead of him if he loves hunting. My wife is a city girl who sure wouldn’t shoot anything but has watched me and is ok with it and me doing it because that’s who I am and what i do.
        Last edited by HotRod Hunter; 03-13-2019, 08:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
          Sounds like your surrounded by snowflakes. Prayers for your son.....would hate to deal with that for the rest of my life!
          X2

Comment

You made it 40 years with the woman so you two are made for each other. Just don't take her hunting with you, no need to screw up the years you have invested. However I would not have slept on the couch. She could have, but no no no, not I.

Your son on the other hand needs to take a long hard look at the situation that he is in and get out now if need be. How in the hell did they date and get married and she not know what he does for enjoyment?

Comment

My wife is squeamish about the actual killing part - she does not want to see that. However she has no problem with me killing tasty things and she eats any game I bring home. She is thrilled that hunting is something that our sons and I have bonded over and still do together.

Comment

I'd take 'em both to a slaughterhouse to show them where steak and burgers come from. Also raw leather for their fancy shoes and purses. Although you might be sleeping a long time on the couch after this but it might be worth it.

Doug

Comment

What tha...

Comment

Originally posted by gatt40 View Post
                    My wife decided she wanted to go to the Ranch this past weekend. Keep in mind we have been married 40 years. She has gone to ranches & leases with me probably a dozen times, but never during hunting season. She sees going as more of relaxing and get away time. She has helped fill feeders, put up blinds and general “do stuff” to help me get ready for hunts. Again, she has never seen me actually hunt or kill an animal. This past weekend my youngest son and his wife of 8 months were with us. My son was helping me fill protein feeders. When we went back to the cabin in the Gator to get a second load of feed, the girls decided they wanted to ride along. Big mistake. I always bring a rifle along in the event I see a nice exotic or a pig or two. You guessed it, about 8 pigs ran in front of us and I laid out 2 on the dead run with the 6.8 AR. That’s when the crying started and my wife was screaming “ I told you not to shoot”. Of course I never heard he say anything. Both my wife and my new daughter in law ( she was the one crying ) got out of the Gator and started walking back to the cabin. My son and I of course pleaded with them to get back in and we would drive them back to the cabin. They refused, said they would rather walk back than ride with a murderer. When we got back to the cabin after finishing up the feed chore and loading pigs in back of the Gator, we got the silent treatment. Son & DIL loaded up their stuff and headed back to their house. I had to sleep on the couch that night. Lesson learned, no hunting when the wife is present.
                    Seems like a win to me.

Comment

Ok, I’ve read all the posts so far and most have made me laugh. Many of you have wives with similar convictions. I can respect hers. She has been a wonderful wife thru the years and lord knows I’ve screwed up plenty and she could have left me a bunch of times. She never has stopped me from my hunting or fishing. She never condemned my sons for hunting & fishing. She won’t stop or complain about our new grandson from doing the same. She won’t keep me from doing what makes me happy. She just has never been exposed to seeing something die at my hand. I made a bad judgement call. It was my choice to sleep on the couch as a way to give her time and space to recover. In fact on the drive home she said she had a wonderful weekend and wants to go again. I will gladly take her. Nobody knows how much time the Lord will grant us and our time spent together is priceless. Like I said, Lesson Learned, and I will be better prepared on the next trip.
                      I am having a hard time typing Mike. My eyes are blurry from crying... I laughed so hard reading this and I can see Kristi yelling at you.

Y'all keep in mind that at our lease one year Kristi nearly stepped on a rattlesnake and Mike just said "Well, there's a rattlesnake." Not "move, there's a snake" or anything. I'm sorry. Kristi would hate me for laughing, but I'd have been rolling when they started crying.

My wife won't go with me. I am not as nice as Mike.

Comment

Both my wife and my new daughter in law ( she was the one crying ) got out of the Gator and started walking back to the cabin.
                        Should have told them to take the boom stick in case they jump some pigs on the way back.

Comment

I remember watching a hunting TV show when I was younger, host was in the blind with his wife. Deer comes out, she starts crying about what's about to happen. They get into whisper argument on whether or not to shoot the deer.

My daughter was ok with me shooting a deer and she was actually fascinated by everything. The wife has balked at the last minute the last few times she was going to come with me. TBA on that reaction.

Comment

Man, sorry for all the stuff you went thru. They might have walked back to camp, but we would have had a sit down afterwards. You didn’t murder anything. You killed a pig. Yes death is sometimes hard. Had the pig run away, out of site, you probably wouldn’t have had such a reaction. Heck, I don’t like to see a deer flopping and kicking. Y’all need to get together and hash this out and save y’alls relationship. Hopefully it will work out. If not, you can’t say you didn’t try.

Comment

Originally posted by JLivi1224 View Post
                              The most important things in a marriage are a long long way from how she feels about you killing a pig. Please don’t let the relationship experts here discourage you. You have something figured out that most husbands nowadays don’t. Your wives feelings are valid and matter, regardless the rationale or lack thereof. I would bet it’s been a pretty successful 40 years. Congrats.
                              Agree 100%. My wife could really care less about me hunting and fishing - but she doesn't want to pull any triggers on an animal. Her choice and I respect it. Our 27th anniversary is this coming Friday.

Comment

I once got my buddy in trouble . We were at his property dove hunting and his wife had just pulled up and walked up to us evidently she thought we were shooting skeet and I made a heck of a shot on these passing dove. Well say the least there was a lot crying going on after that and swearing . He was in the dog house for quite some time. Fortunately for him he isn’t much of a hunter or his life would be he—.

Comment

Working...
                                X