Trailer wiring question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trailer wiring question

I re-built a trailer end of 2017. Stripped it complete and ran 12ga wire throughout with all new LED lighting.

This weekend had a taillight that was dim. Thought maybe a ground issue and tracked it down and found the brown wire was dark and powder-like inside. I had to cut it back about a foot to get to decent (not perfect) wire. What is going on? What would cause this? Really hoping to not have to re-wire the whole trailer soon....

Any idea?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Possibly not making a solid connection and making a feedback through the wire. I'm assuming butt connector. I learned the hard way to make sure I got a good crimp on the wires.

Comment

green crustys

Comment

Brown wire should be running lights,not ground. Which is it on your trailer?

Comment

No..... my ground is white and running is brown.... it was the running light wire that was bad.

Comment

More than likely a loose connection somewhere causing the wire and insulation to overheat. That's the biggest cause I've seen for crusty or brittle failures. If you used the cheap crimpers instead of butt connectors, re-do it...

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Comment

Bad grounds and poor connections lead to a lot of crazy stuff in trailer wiring. I always recommend a star washer under your grounds, and I solder everything. And occasionally it still screws up.

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback.....

Comment

Working...
                X