Tree ID on old homestead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tree ID on old homestead

Its every bit of 30 feet tall and 40 feet wide.
    Surrounded by cornfields. I drive by it daily and noticed this year it was loaded with white flowers.
    I stopped and took these pictures yesterday.
    I think its a pear but not sure.
    Attached Files

Bradford pear

Comment

Does anyone know if it can be "ground layered" sucessfully?

Comment

Not sure what that is?

It will grow super thick and due to that they are extremely prone to breaking off and splitting with high winds and ice. I’ve got about 7-8 and none are complete trees anymore

They are an ornamental tree that bloom snowy white in early spring

Comment

Wild Crabapple tree

Comment

They split out horrible. But grow so fast they fill back in fairly quick
            Attached Files

Comment

Pear

Comment

Simple picture of ground layering.

Its definitely spilit into several large limbs. If they can be ground layered to produce roots I would rather do some of the larger ones in plastic tubs.
                Attached Files

Comment

So the limb that is pegged is still attached to tree? Or has been removed from tree?

The limbs are so brittle that I don’t know if you could bend one that much anyway.

I know where the roots run out of the ground if you nic it it will sprout saplings (and they will have an almost thorn on them)

Comment

Bark graft a few regular limbs to it. With a tree that mature you will have a nice pear tree in no time

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy360 View Post
                      Bark graft a few regular limbs to it. With a tree that mature you will have a nice pear tree in no time
                      It’s a Bradford. They don’t produce fruit, just those little “balls” you see in pic. It’s an ornamental tree

Comment

Bradford pear and like stated above it’s fruitless. They usually don’t live too long, around 20-30 years and they’ll start to decline fairly quick. That one looks like it’s been there awhile. They were real popular in the 90’s and early 2000’s.

Comment

You can air layer too. I did this one with a regular pear tree.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                            It’s a Bradford. They don’t produce fruit, just those little “balls” you see in pic. It’s an ornamental tree
                            Right.....chop off Bradford limbs. Then take your favorite pear tree. In March, take a couple limbs about the size of a pencil with one or two buds. Slide them under the bark. Let them grow.

I've done it tons. Heres an example where I grafted hachiya persimmon onto wild persimmon.

This one was done this march.
                            Attached Files

Comment

All my fruit trees are grafted to some sort of native root stock. I have a grated fruit cocktail tree on wild plum stock that has peaches, nectarines, red plums and blue damson plums all on the same tree.

Comment

Working...
                              X