Thoughts on .26 Nosler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts on .26 Nosler

Going to get an APR build soon. Need a little help from the green screen to land on a caliber. Rifle will be used for 99% White tail, then for mule deer, Audad etc.
    I have never shot a 26 Nosler but the ballistics are sure attractive. Interested in 26, 257 wby mag, 6.5 creedmoor. I don't hand load now, but would like to down the road. So here is the worn out question of all around best Texas rifle caliber?
    Thanks in advance!

My dad recently bought an X-Bolt.
    It's just a touch hotter than a .260 Rem and a touch lighter than a 7 mag.
    Great long range performance, but it's not unique in that respect and the ammo is UNBELIEVABLY expensive.
    Not that you burn a lot of magnum cartridges in a year, but it's ~$3.50 per trigger pull, or near double what you pay in 7 mag.
    I use a .25-06 successfully on all the game you mention out past 300 yards.

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
      My dad recently bought an X-Bolt.
      It's just a touch hotter than a .260 Rem and a touch lighter than a 7 mag.
      Great long range performance, but it's not unique in that respect and the ammo is UNBELIEVABLY expensive.
      Not that you burn a lot of magnum cartridges in a year, but it's ~$3.50 per trigger pull, or near double what you pay in 7 mag.
      I use a .25-06 successfully on all the game you mention out past 300 yards.
      Thanks for sharing. 25-06 is on the thought list as well.

Comment

Originally posted by leemann92 View Post
        Thanks for sharing. 25-06 is on the thought list as well.
        I have quite the bargain 25-06 and I just happen to be making a trip to San Antonio this weekend

Comment

I thought about it when I had my APR rifle built, but nostalgia got the best of me and I went with a .280 Rem build. I don't regret that in the least, but I do think the .26 Nosler would be a great cartridge for almost anything in the lower 48.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
            I thought about it when I had my APR rifle built, but nostalgia got the best of me and I went with a .280 Rem build. I don't regret that in the least, but I do think the .26 Nosler would be a great cartridge for almost anything in the lower 48.
            .280 is hard to beat!

Comment

It close ballisticly to to a .260 Rem I believe. Love my .260 APR build! Next will be a 7STW build!

Comment

260 is about as good as it gets for Texas Whitetail.

"An honest government has no fear of an armed population".

Comment

All the popular 6.5 variants are more than adequate for what you want imo

Out of those, I'd focus on barrel life and ease of reloading more than velocity as they are all flat shooters. The difference between them wouldn't outweigh the benefits previously mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by TxMedic View Post
                    It close ballisticly to to a .260 Rem I believe. Love my .260 APR build! Next will be a 7STW build!
                    Maybe the creedmoor is close but not the 26

"Loaded with the 129 grain ABLR, the .26 Nosler retains as much velocity at 400 yards as the 260 Remington produces at the muzzle."

It also won't have the easy shooting recoil of a .260 though haha

The 26 holds essentially the same amount of powder as the 7stw. I'm really liking the looks of the 28 Nosler though. Should be a hammer with the Berger 195 pills

Comment

I would not touch the .26 nosler if you don't already hand load. I would hate to have to rely on factory ammo availability. Look at a .280, 7mm mag, 25-06 for what you are trying to accomplish

Comment

Doooo ittttt

Buy 2 boxes of ammo a year and your set

Comment

Thanks for everyone's advice. I'll be sure to update the thread on what I go with.

Comment

Working...
                          X