School me on 7mm rem mag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

School me on 7mm rem mag

I was given a 7mm rem mag for my birthday. I'm not very savvy on the 7 mag. What is a good round and kind of accuracy to be expected? Primarily will be used on whitetail. It's a Remington 700 from around the early 80's, is what i was told. It was my wife's grandfather's gun and other than a few minor scratches on the butt stock, it looks brand new. Very nice gun. Thanks

Get ready... Apparently the 7mm Rem. Mag is junk according to a lot of members here. Who knew?!? My walls of my house and office suggest otherwise.

I recommend shooting what the gun likes to shoot. It's all dependent upon what the gun is most accurate with. Try Hornady and Barnes first.

Comment

I shoot 120 gr nosler hand loads out of mine, very accurate rifle.

Comment

I already know the 7 mag is far from junk lol. I will definitely start with hornady

Comment

Mike!!

Mike Mike Mike Mike!!!!

Comment

I was looking at starting with the hornady superformance 139gr sst. I shoot the sst's out of another gun and really like them. Anybody have any experience with that round in the 7 mag? Or the hornady American whitetail?

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
              Mike!!

Mike Mike Mike Mike!!!!

Bahahaha. All I can think about is that camel now!

Comment

Originally posted by TxHunter06 View Post
                I was looking at starting with the hornady superformance 139gr sst. I shoot the sst's out of another gun and really like them. Anybody have any experience with that round in the 7 mag? Or the hornady American whitetail?
                I shot SST's out of my 7mag in that 139gr. They didn't group too well. Moved up to the 162gr. version and groups tightened up nicely. That being said, it has a lot to do with the rifle. Yours may shoot the lighter version just fine.

Comment

I have a Sako late 80s 7mm and it loves 165gr Federal Premium...Shot up until a few yrs ago and now its my 15yr olds...Great Deer cartridge IMO

Comment

I have had the best luck with the cheap winchester silvertip and remington corelock. I have used federal in the past but the bullet came apart in the animal so I quite useing those. 175 grain has worked best for me

Comment

Originally posted by SB09 View Post
                      I shot SST's out of my 7mag in that 139gr. They didn't group too well. Moved up to the 162gr. version and groups tightened up nicely. That being said, it has a lot to do with the rifle. Yours may shoot the lighter version just fine.
                      It would just be a starting point. I wish I knew the twist rate of the barrel. That would help narrow down the bullet weight to start with. I'll buy a box of both and try to see which one it likes better.

Comment

Originally posted by TxHunter06 View Post
                        It would just be a starting point. I wish I knew the twist rate of the barrel. That would help narrow down the bullet weight to start with. I'll buy a box of both and try to see which one it likes better.
                        Yea, knowing your twist rate helps. Do you know what brand and model the rifle is? Maybe someone could find some specs on the rifle.

Comment

It's a Remington 700, not sure on specific model. Looks to have a 22" maybe 24"barrel. Laminate classic stock, it has the open sights on it(don't know if that helps narrow down the model or not). I tried googling the serial number with no luck. Anybody know where I can find the specs by the serial number?

Comment

I had a 7 mag when I was younger but I realized I don't like recoil. It isn't too punishing but it doesn't feel too good either. I was shooting Winchester ballistic silvertips, cant remember the weight. But it held good groups and devastated the few deer I shot with it.

Comment

I push 150 grain Nosler partitions out of mine at 3400 FPS. It is a screaming hand load, but animals only twitch after they are hit with it.

Mine was handed down to me by my grandfather, as he didn't like to shoot it due to its recoil. It is a Remington model 700 with a 24 in tube. I have tefloned the entire gun, and it sits in a McMillan stock with a palm swell. It is my go-to gun, and I cant recommend the combination enough.

Comment

Working...
                              X