Ford 4.6L opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ford 4.6L opinions

I am looking at a 2005 f150 supercrew 4x4 lifted with a 4.6 in it. Auto trans and 198k

Any opinions on the motor vs mileage?

The guy is asking 4500 but is a little negotiable?

Pretty gutless, particularly with 4 wheel drive and lift. What do you plan to use it for? I had an 02 that I put 230k on before it was totaled in a wreck. Never had any major mechanical issues, but at that point, I felt like the tranny could have gone.

Comment

Good engine.... No real bombs like the 5.4, an engine which I'm very familiar....

My brand new 5.4 is no speed demon with 5" of lift and 35" on it..... It'll pull 6k - 8k #'s, but, not without a pretty serious struggle.....4.6 will REALLY struggle IMOP

Comment

Just going to be a highway queen and end up going to my kid next year to drive to school

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Pride View Post
          Just going to be a highway queen and end up going to my kid next year to drive to school
          It'll serve those purposes well. Don't expect much fuel efficiency out of it. I regularly got 17-18 highway without the lift or four wheel drive (and smaller supercab configuration).

Comment

Originally posted by TwoHighways View Post
            It'll serve those purposes well. Don't expect much fuel efficiency out of it. I regularly got 17-18 highway without the lift or four wheel drive (and smaller supercab configuration).

Any mechanical concerns I should look for when I go check it out on Friday

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Pride View Post
              Sounds like a great truck for a HS kid, reliable , their are millions of them on the road in small business fleet vehicles,
              IMO people are spoiled with modern, high torque engines ( but who doesn’t like a little getup an go )
              If I was buying a 1/2 ton I wouldn’t have a problem buying a base model V6

Comment

The 4.6 is rated in the top 10 engines with the least amount of complaints about issues. But...they are under powered for towing etc...
                I sold one recently with 240k on it, ran perfect except was a 97 and started having electrical issues.

Comment

I had a 98 with this motor and never had issues with it and close to 200k before I sold it. Wish I wouldn’t have sold it at that time. Was a solid truck that got me from college to home and back on numerous occasions.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Had an 04' with over 250k miles, it was still running solid when I traded it in when I got my 16'F-350. IMO, it should serve your purpose just fine.

Comment

My 08 with 187k on it is ok. The crossover tube leaked causing me to replace the manifold, and the ac acted up electrically at 125k. I have done ball joints and did shocks and strut packs at 170k. Burns a little oil, but easy to keep up with. Regular maintenance is a must. Never had lots of power, but pulls smaller trailers ok. 25' pontoon boat is a load though.

The fan clutch failed causing the transmission to be damaged due to heat, so trans rebuild also.

Comment

I have the 4.6 in my ’99 F150 4x4 - did everything I asked it to do. It only has about 158k on it. (In the garage for sale at the moment).

Comment

I have a 2004 4.6 regular cab. I have had it since 2007. I bought it at 26k miles, and it now has 113k. I have ran nothing but shell gas and mobile one synthetic since I bought it. I've never had a single issue mechanically.

Comment

Very good reliable engine. Change the plugs so it doesn't blow out. We have an 06 with 165k that plug blew out last year and we installed a used engine.

It is probably the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned.

Comment

I have an 01 super crew 2wd with 301,000 miles. Burns some oil but still runs pretty good. Only real issues with engine is the coil on plugs. They like to go out often. Often though it’s just the rubber boot that breaks down and will appear as bad coil. I do agree the 4.6 won’t have a lot of power for a lifted 4x4. Other than that I think it’s a great engine. I would have concerns for the transmission. Anywhere between 220k and 250k they start slipping some. I rebuilt mine at 245k. Little over $2k to rebuild but bought that truck new and everything else was good so $2k was much better than replacing truck. My daughter has an 02 with 240k and it is slipping a little bit but she hasn’t decided yet to fix or trade in so she’s saving cash for whichever way she decides. Of course the 4x4 may have a slightly different transmission than the 2wd but that I don’t know.

Comment

Working...
                              X