First elk hunt argument

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First elk hunt argument

Interested in the opinions of this group. I’ve been looking into going on a DIY OTC archery elk hunt in CO for a while now. I told a hunting friend about this and said I expect it to be so challenging that any legal bull would be an accomplishment for me. This sent him off the rails. He thinks this is the problem with hunting today - people “just killing something to check a box and not holding out for a mature trophy animal”. My perspective is I understand that and mostly agree as it pertains to deer hunting like we do in Texas, but this situation is very different. He thinks it’s no different. So, what are your opinions on the matter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by GoBears870; 02-02-2019, 03:38 PM.

How many big bulls has he killed?

Comment

I disagree with your friend. I think the problem today is everyone thinks everyone should be a trophy hunter.

You are right. Any legal bull with an archery OTC tag in Colorado would be an accomplishment.

Comment

How many DIY elk hunts has be been on? My guess is zero.

Shoot what makes you happy.

Plus, CO manages for numbers of elk, not size of elk.

Comment

Has this friend ever hunted out of state, on public land for any species besides white-tails?

Comment

He's entitled to his opinion just as you and I are.

I tend to agree with you. You need to set an achievable goal in order to enjoy the sport and bring home some meat.

A huge set of horns on a 7 year old bull is not the realistic goal for many if not most of us.

Now if you had numerous bulls under your belt, were in a difficult draw area or using a guide I'd question your thought process. But not CO OTC.

Carry on and best of luck to ya.

Comment

No he has not elk hunted but that’s never stopped him from having an opinion on something

I get where he’s coming from but don’t think he understands where I’m coming from

Comment

it is a LOT different, percent of bulls killed that are 5X5 or bigger is less than 10% in the good areas. Bowhunting, I'd kill the first legal bull I got a chance at.

Comment

If a legal bull was in bow range of me, I would take the shot. You’re talking about a DIY hunt in the mountains, not a managed ranch.

Comment

I’m tracking along the way you are headed. I went twice and would have taken the first legal animal but I ended up a swing and a miss.

Comment

I think I would hunt one in Texas behind a high fence. Tromping up and down mountiains carrying an elk sounds way less fun to me than it once did. Oh, and as to the original question, when your friend starts paying for your hunts, then he can tell you what to shoot, till then he should stfu and be happy for you

Comment

Originally posted by DTala View Post
                        it is a LOT different, percent of bulls killed that are 5X5 or bigger is less than 10% in the good areas. Bowhunting, I'd kill the first legal bull I got a chance at.

That’s what I told him. The OTC units are pressured hard and managed for opportunity rather than quality. I am building points and will unload them one day on a good unit after I have some experience, but the expectations in OTC are a lot different.

Comment

Have him put in for the draw in Arizona. You stay in Colorado OTC. Both of you can be happy.

Comment

Sounds salty because you're out there making moves and he isn't.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

I suspect a lot of first time elk hunters head to Colorado with the intent to hold out for a mature bull. After a few days (and especially a few years) of getting skunked, they find themselves willing to shoot any legal bull. Put me in the camp of any legal bull on an OTC unit is a trophy.

Comment

Working...
                              X