Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Biggest difference is public land.

Comment

I'm in the same boat and plan on either OTC Archery Elk in CO or OTC Muley in AZ depending on work schedule this year. I also will take the first legal animal and be **** happy about it. I don't know many guys who held out for 180" class whitetails for their first deer in a managed property with feeders and trail cameras mapping their every move. Public land hunting is a whole other animal. I always consider my hunt to be successful when i see an animal and get within range on public land. It tells me that my instincts as a hunter are correct and knowing how to setup and find them.

Comment

I agree with the majority here. ANY elk taken on a DIY hunt is something to be proud of. Heck look at the people who use guides in private areas and still get skunked!

Comment

Originally posted by Bryan11 View Post
          I'm in the same boat and plan on either OTC Archery Elk in CO or OTC Muley in AZ depending on work schedule this year. I also will take the first legal animal and be **** happy about it. I don't know many guys who held out for 180" class whitetails for their first deer in a managed property with feeders and trail cameras mapping their every move. Public land hunting is a whole other animal. I always consider my hunt to be successful when i see an animal and get within range on public land. It tells me that my instincts as a hunter are correct and knowing how to setup and find them.
          Do both one is in sept the other has a Jan option.

Comment

Can’t eat them horns 😂

Comment

Not sure I would consider him your friend. Besides, he is an *** and probably one that thinks he knows everything about anything. Success on elk in CO with a bow is less than 10% and DIY is hard. Anything like a cow or up is a trophy to me and I have killed a couple cows and a few bulls with a bow on DIY hunts.

Comment

Take along a couple of kiddie sleds and some rope to train the meat back down, leave the non-trophy antlers behind and invite your pal over for some non-trophy backstrap (it tastes just as good as trophy backstrap, I promise!)

Comment

Originally posted by farmdog View Post
                  the green screen just gave you a green light! Have a plan to get the meat off the mountain
                  [ATTACH]944642[/ATTACH]

$24 at walmart.com

Comment

Originally posted by Bowdark View Post
                    [ATTACH]944642[/ATTACH]

$24 at walmart.com
                    I’d go with green, get more of the ninja turtle look going in

Comment

Originally posted by Bowdark View Post
                      Take along a couple of kiddie sleds and some rope to train the meat back down, leave the non-trophy antlers behind and invite your pal over for some non-trophy backstrap (it tastes just as good as trophy backstrap, I promise!)
                      No way would he get an invite for any elk meat fixed anyway possible!

Comment

shouldn't even be an argument

Comment

Your friend is using dumb logic.
                          Last edited by N.DaWoods; 02-04-2019, 05:42 AM.

Comment

Uh, you wanna go, then go.
                            Any legal bull on a DIY hunt with a bow would be great ( in my opinion).
                            Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by GoBears870 View Post
                              Interested in the opinions of this group. I’ve been looking into going on a DIY OTC archery elk hunt in CO for a while now. I told a hunting friend about this and said I expect it to be so challenging that any legal bull would be an accomplishment for me. This sent him off the rails. He thinks this is the problem with hunting today - people “just killing something to check a box and not holding out for a mature trophy animal”. My perspective is I understand that and mostly agree as it pertains to deer hunting like we do in Texas, but this situation is very different. He thinks it’s no different. So, what are your opinions on the matter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              He has never been elk hunting or tasted elk meat.

I've killed a few elk. My first Elk was a cow and she was delicious!

I think it was Mike Tyson that said "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth."

An Elk hunt can definitely be a punch in the mouth if not prepared or if you go in with some perceived notion of how it's going to go down.

The only thing you can guarantee on an elk hunt is you are going to get some exercise!

Comment

DIY Colorado, if hes legal you shoot.

Comment

Working...
                                X