Midway Meat Market

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Midway Meat Market

Anyone ever try the food at Midway in Katy? I'm always looking for new places to try and came across this place online. What you guys got to say about this place.

I've heard good and bad reviews, ate their BBQ once, and it was great.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobcat13 View Post
      I've heard good and bad reviews, ate their BBQ once, and it was great.
      Thanks for the feedback. I hate to admit it but typically we go to Rudy's when we want BBQ. May have to try theirs.

Comment

Used to eat there before it burned and got replaced. It was very good back then, but have not been there in a long time.

Comment

Two different venues there. Midway Market is an old type grocery store and meat market (they process deer there too)... Down the block to the West was Midway BBQ. It burned down a few months back. However they have a temporary location on the corner at the red light just west of the BBQ place and they have resumed operations of the BBQ joint there. I would assume the food should be the same. I like their BBQ. I know the owner and have for 30+ years. He's a very nice guy and dearly loves the community and serves it faithfully. The market has a good meat counter with quality meats. The deer processing/sausage making operation... I don't care for...
          The owner lost all his big trophy animals in the fire as they were all on display in the restaurant... Many, Many big elk and mule deer, a huge Alaskan Brown Bear, even a "Mastodon"!! He had the prehistoric mastodon tusks and had them mounted in a huge elephant mold. used Muskox capes to create the "Mastodon"... sucker looked real!! Also had a huge anaconda skin on the wall next to the serving line that was probably 20 feet long... All gone in the fire...

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
            Two different venues there. Midway Market is an old type grocery store and meat market (they process deer there too)... Down the block to the West was Midway BBQ. It burned down a few months back. However they have a temporary location on the corner at the red light just west of the BBQ place and they have resumed operations of the BBQ joint there. I would assume the food should be the same. I like their BBQ. I know the owner and have for 30+ years. He's a very nice guy and dearly loves the community and serves it faithfully. The market has a good meat counter with quality meats. The deer processing/sausage making operation... I don't care for...
            The owner lost all his big trophy animals in the fire as they were all on display in the restaurant... Many, Many big elk and mule deer, a huge Alaskan Brown Bear, even a "Mastodon"!! He had the prehistoric mastodon tusks and had them mounted in a huge elephant mold. used Muskox capes to create the "Mastodon"... sucker looked real!! Also had a huge anaconda skin on the wall next to the serving line that was probably 20 feet long... All gone in the fire...
            He had the largest collection of 400 + B&C Elk I have seen for one individual. White Mountain in AZ he loved hunting there so much! Told me one time he really wanted to take some time off from hunting there but figured if he did he couldn't get back in, so he just went every year!! He also used to have a herd of elk on some property just west of Katy..... not sure if he still has it. Super nice guy!

Comment

Yes he still has a small heard of elk on property that borders the road leading into can island. The main restaurant wasn’t open so we went to the small version. Was disappointed with the food. Usually it’s pretty good. And it was expensive. We e been going to County Line bar b que right by 99. Good and expensive as well.

Comment

Originally posted by SneakyPhil View Post
                Thanks for the feedback. I hate to admit it but typically we go to Rudy's when we want BBQ. May have to try theirs.
                IMO, Midway is much better than Rudy’s. To me Rudys is a belly filler at best.

Comment

Mr. Herman is a Pilar in the community and the food is good. The meat market is great. They give back a lot to the community.

That being said, if you want craft bbq, try Brett’s on Mason and Kingsland. Expensive, but top notch.

Comment

I love the fact you had a meal there with the Duke!

Comment

Rudy's BBQ, really..... To many good places to eat at Rudy's....

Comment

Originally posted by IowaHunter View Post
                        I love the fact you had a meal there with the Duke!

Here's Mr. Herman and his bride with the Duke in front of his bear...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Herman n Duke.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	228.4 KB
ID:	24657236

Comment

Dang he’s looking pretty good for having died in 77!

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
                            Dang he’s looking pretty good for having died in 77!

When Mr. Herman opened that BBQ place he just had to come back n get sum!! I bought his lunch!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	The Duke-3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	288.2 KB
ID:	24657237
                            Last edited by SaltwaterSlick; 07-22-2021, 06:32 PM.

Comment

When Mr. Herman opened that BBQ place he just had to come back n get sum!! I bought his lunch!!

[ATTACH]1056402[/ATTACH]
                              That's a pretty good John Wayne there.

Comment

Working...
                              X